• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Too good to be true semi auto 12 gauge?

Can you reload, in three gun, with the bolt closed? I believe I read somewhere that you cannot, for safety reasons.

The more I read and see about Linberta shotguns, the more I think this is exactly the same gun, just with a different name. Take care. Tom Worthington

I got a reply from big daddy Hoffman.

He said the MX5 uses Beretta/Benelli chokes. Nice to have someone reply so quickly with a definite answer.

Woot woot.

Just to go on the record, I emailed kygunco and asked about a money order and final price after tax, mailing address for the payment/FFL etc.

We'll see what they have say.

Hopefully they'll reply with an amount before tomorrow. But being about 5PM now, I'm not holding my breath.

Well, I got it cleaned. Thanks to a bunch of youtube videos of other Turkish made semi auto shotguns, I was able to figure it out. Not too difficult to clean, actually. Not as easy as a 500/Maverick 88, but pretty easy, nevertheless. The one issue I had was removing the bolt handle. I figured there must be some trick to getting it loose. There is. Pull harder. ;) I did discover a concern, during cleaning. The rear of the steel bolt is already eating up the rear of the aluminum receiver. When the bolt travels all the way to the rear, it comes to a stop against bare aluminum. There is no "buffer" material. It may have only happened when I used the really hard kicking loads, but I have no way of knowing that. A pretty fair amount of aluminum flakes had to be removed. No amount of lubrication would impact that wear. The rest of the wear surfaces looked great. In fact, it was very hard to figure out where any wear surfaces were!

This is after approximately 60 rounds. After reassembly, I fired off ten more, today. Just like butter. I really didn't expect this gun to perform this well with the lightest rounds I own. Probably wouldn't cycle one of those minishells, but it might be fun to try. :) Take care. Tom Worthington

I know that you mentioned that the heavy loads had a kick to them. That's not really surprising at all.

Curious if there would be any way to maybe incorporate a buffer of some sort.

Whether a piece of thin sheet steel that could be placed on/over the area that's getting battered?

Or a piece of hard rubber?

What does the action spring look like? I'm wondering if a little heavier spring would work?

I'm thinking along the same lines. I may fashion something and just glue it in there. "What does the action spring look like?" You're asking me?! This is my first semi auto shotgun. The spring is coiled, it's about an inch around, and I believe it is black. Does that help? :D Take care. Tom Worthington

I was curious because if you could get some detailed measurements, I could compare it the CD spring like in mine.

The CD spring is certainly going to be heavier because it's chambered for up to 3-1/2" magnums. That would definitely tone down your gun. Probably too much at first, that's when you'll have to shoot a low brass shell, see if it cycles. If not, cut 1/8" of the wire at a time and shoot again until you get it barely cycling low brass and that's probably as good as you'll be able to tune it with a spring alone.

And replacement springs for my CD costed like $7.50 at numrich.

If I could get some detailed measurements, I could compare it with mine and see if the CD spring would fit your gun so you could pick one up and experiment with it. But without detailed measurements, I have no way of doing that.

I bought the replacement for mine before I started trimming my spring coil so I could get low brass to cycle in mine. Obviously, the spring was heavy to accommodate the huge goose loads and I had to tweak it a little to get it to cycle the handicap loads.

I bought the replacement before I started doing anything in case I trimmed off too much.

With high brass, my gun ejects them about 8-10 feet. Low brass barely ejects and they pretty much land maybe 18 inches away from my foot. I can sling hulls farther with a pump.

So, long story short, I have my spring tuned so it will cycle even the weakest loads, and I don't shoot anything bigger than high brass 2-3/4.

It seems to be a happy little gun.

And if I ever wanted to abuse myself and shoot goose loads, I can quickly throw the replacement factory spring back in there and go.

Quick question.

I have seen other MX5 shotguns with a receiver mounted rail for an optic.

I know that each gun is different. And if it patterns way off from the front sight, I'll probably add a small red dot to it to tweak it in better.

I'm wondering if this version has tapped holes so it will accept a rail? No big deal if it doesn't. I can drill/tap my own. Would just be quicker and easier if it does.

Well, alrighty then. Thanks for the reply

I can poke a few holes and thread them myself. Wouldn't be the first time.

I'll buy an NC star rail with screws for a Mossberg 500 for $7 something shipped on ebay. They're 6-48 and I already have a drill bit and tap for that.

IF the front sight is too far off for my taste.

I may not need too. I'll just have to shoot it and then decide. I'm just wanting to have my ducks in a row.

I picked it up this morning. The box wasn't empty. :) In deference to my neighbors, I am not going to fire it this morning.

Some things I have noted, so far. The bolt release is well forward on the receiver. You would not be able to keep your hand near the trigger guard to operate it. I suppose you could use your left hand. Not a big deal to me, but I thought someone might like to know. The front sight is basically a raised blade. No shield or ghost ring. Again, fine by me. The flashlight that comes with it is a nice one. Three modes of operation: Low/high/strobe. That was a very pleasant surprise. The shell holder is made by Allen. Again, a pleasant surprise. It comes with two "chokes", although one of those chokes is actually that muzzle brake. It ships with the conventional choke already installed and I suspect I'll never install that muzzle brake. When installed, the conventional choke does not extend past the end of the barrel. The conventional choke does not appear to be a cylinder bore. It has four notches on the top, so I'll have to look up which one that means it is. The choke threads are the same as the ones on my Stoeger Uplander (double barrel). However, they are not the same chokes. The Emperor choke extends well down into the bore. I'll have to figure out who else uses the same style choke tubes. Although there is a lot of plastic on the gun, it still has a good bit of weight to it. This may turn out to be a positive, since I want to get the wife behind it.

One significant negative, at least to me. No instructions whatsoever. Not a single shred of paper. Could make disassembly for cleaning a real adventure.

Overall, I still cannot believe what a bargain this thing is. Even if it turns out it will not fire, it is worth it just for the novelty. LOL. Take care. Tom Worthington
I'm glad it finally showed, I'm waiting for my order to be shipped now. I am curious how long it took from order to delivery? And I believe you also said that you are in Kentucky. I really hope it does not take two weeks!! Hahaha what takes two weeks to ship now-a-days!

I'm glad it finally showed, I'm waiting for my order to be shipped now. I am curious how long it took from order to delivery? And I believe you also said that you are in Kentucky. I really hope it does not take two weeks!! Hahaha what takes two weeks to ship now-a-days!

I ordered on a Saturday morning. It was to my FFL by Friday evening. I'm in North Carolina. Take care. Tom Worthington

Ok txs, I ordered last Thur and have yet to get a shipping confirmation, I did get a order confirmation though.

With this being the time of year when a lot of folks get their tax refunds, I expect it to be a little busier than usual.

I expect to have mine sometime next week if all goes well. I'm in no huge hurry.

I mailed the money order payment Tuesday.

Got another email a couple of minutes ago where they processed the payment. Obviously, no shipment notification, but it's one step closer than I was.:thumbsup:

@Trevorb, if you haven't heard from them, it wouldn't hurt to give them a call to make sure they have gotten your local FFL's license info. Or to make sure they can match it up with the order info.

I got the shipping email notification a couple of minutes ago.

As expected, I should get it sometime next week. Considering I'm so close, probably Monday if it actually goes out today and if not will certainly not be before Tuesday before I see it, but I'm only about 2 hours drive south of them so it shouldn't be too bad.

Your order has been scheduled for shipment.
Please allow up to 24 hours for tracking updates to appear.

By the way, I have now cleaned the shotgun three times. Since I have not fired anymore 3" shells, I do not think the bolt has come in contact with the rear of the receiver again. I'm now up to approximately 100 rounds through the gun. Still very pleased with it's performance. Haven't been able to get the wife to try it, yet. That will be the big test. :) Take care. Tom Worthington

Good deal.

Barring something drastic, I should have mine Monday according to the tracking. I would've had it today if UPS delivered on Saturdays.

I typically only shoot 2 3/4 and I'll watch for any contact. I think that'll answer that one way or another.

Next on the list, you need to see how many shells you can fire WITHOUT cleaning before you start to see feed failures.

Back