• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Too good to be true semi auto 12 gauge?

I have a Carlson Xfull (.680) choke ordered. Turkey season is getting too close to take chances to see if the importer comes through with some new chokes for it in time. Since I told them to go ahead and order the modified and full chokes, I will still buy them from them if they get here in time from wherever they're coming from. But I didn't want to risk not having a choke for it in time.

The Carlson choke was supposed to be delivered today, but the folks down in Atlanta decided to look at the package for a couple of extra days. Now ETA is tomorrow.

I have a couple of test shots loaded up and ready to go that I'm wanting to try out.

1-1/8 oz #6 using a Hornady versatite wad (I have two different charges to see if I like one over the other)

1-1/4 oz #6 using Downrange DRA-12 (Winchester) wads--also have 2 charges of it to try

1-1/8 oz #8 factory Remington STS handicap loads- I don't normally hunt with 8's, but I still wanted to see how they shot in it.

Will be patterning them all at 20 yards (standing and off hand) to see if I like any of them.

This will also largely determine whether I will drill/tap the receiver and install a rail so I can get a small picatinny style electronic dot on it, or whether I want to use one of the solar panel Tasco's that has a 22 dovetail mount to go directly onto the existing receiver cut. I will cross that bridge if I come to it.

I'll update after I get to try everything out.

Was able to do some testing with the xfull choke. The gun is going to make a fine hunter. I noticed that all of the patterns were printing left of point of aim.

This at 20 yards and would be even worse the farther away you got, so I will be opting to use an optic of some sort to get it dialed in better. I'm strongly considering the tasco 22lr with a solar panel 5 moa dot. This would keep the optic as low to the barrel as possible.

As I mentioned above, I did some load testing in it. Looks like the gun liked the 1-1/4 oz #6 with DRA12 Winchester style wad the best.

patterning 003.JPG

I expected the hornady was going to work better, but while it was giving a more than acceptable pattern, the proof is right there in black and white.

patterning 004.JPG

This may be my last post in the topic and I'm done with the changes, other than some matching paint on the tasco solar red dot once I'm comfortable that I'm not going to have to return it. I did a short product review of it at the RemingtonOwners sister site here if anyone wants to read it: http://www.remingtonowners.com/post19230.html#p19230

The short post, I like it. I think it's going to make a dandy hunting gun that I expect to get many years of use out of.

pUXpFR2.jpg

1-1/8oz #6 shot reloads. That is food on the table right there. The bullseye was traced from a roll of masking tape for reference.
KiTQC5b.jpg

Thanks. That's at 20 yards. I haven't been able to push it out any farther yet to see where my self imposed limit is going to be, but I suspect any squirrel within sight will not stand much of a chance.

I was worried that the extra full choke would hold too tight of a pattern at closer distances because my Charles daly semi auto with a full choke will shred one at close range.

But the extra full Carlson choke seems to be right about where I was wanting.

I can't leave anything well enough alone.

I came across a .665" extended turkey choke for a pretty good price and I couldn't pass it up.

I don't pretend to know how much of an improvement it will be over the xfull .680" choke, but should give me some extra range on those long shots. May turn out to be over-kill on squirrels and rabbits and stuff, but naturally I'll pattern it to see how it does.

I have some .665" chokes for some of my other shotguns and they do well with them. The Undertaker choke, Gobblin' Thunder choke, etc are the same constriction.

Also did a water immersion camo dip on the gun. It's called STON pattern and works great in my old stomping grounds.

ZZnbyqJ.jpg

4uKaC6V.jpg

Back