Traditional Bow: Pics and Discussion

Discussion in 'Traditional Bow' started by LAZY EYED SNIPER, Dec 20, 2011.

1. MikeD

MikeD I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator "Philanthropist"

Awesome!! Congrats!!
  2. JRExplorer3

JRExplorer3 .223

New here but figure I will revive this thread.
    My recurves
    Damon Howatt Triumph and Bear Tartar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    LAZY EYED SNIPER likes this.
  3. LAZY EYED SNIPER

LAZY EYED SNIPER Overwatch Staff Member Administrator Supporter "Philanthropist"

Ooohh, VURRY nice!
  4. JRExplorer3

JRExplorer3 .223

My score today. Five vintage recurves. 1 Damon Howatt, 2 Ben Pearsons, 1 Darton, 1 Archery Engineering Co.
    The last one, Archery Engineering Co., interests me the most. Far right bow in pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  5. MikeD

MikeD I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator "Philanthropist"

Very nice score!!

I'm diggin the Damon Howatt.
  6. JRExplorer3

JRExplorer3 .223

It's a DH Monterey. Has some sort of sight/scope deal on it. I'm going to remove it.
    I've got to spend some time cleaning these up.
  7. JRExplorer3

JRExplorer3 .223

Sold off 4 of the bows I scored. Decided to keep the Archery Engineering "The Master" bow. The AE bow is actually a Tice & Watts bow. They changed the name in early 1970.
    It's a rare piece so I decided to keep it and sell my Howatt Triumph target bow.
    Archery Engineering/Tice & Watts The Master
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  8. MikeD

9. Camel73

Camel73 .22LR

Nice bows guys.
    I have an ILF Tradtech Pinnacle 2 19" riser with 55# Black Max recurve long limbs and 65# Tradtech longbow limbs.
    I shoot Pile Driver Hunter 450's with 100gr brass inserts and 200gr tips, just in case, ha.

My pops got me started around 6 years ago. After shooting the rubber deer literally in half with his gear (same riser with medium Tradtech recurve 45# limbs) it was time to get my own bow.

Sad thing is I haven't done anything with it yet... No food, no competitions, just group therapy. I honestly believe it has helped keep me sane through.

IMG_20160813_133720-1024x1365.jpg
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  10. Camel73

Camel73 .22LR

What are your guys' methods of shooting? Have they changed over time?
    My experience has been interesting so far.

Right out of the gate, my pops taught me to shoot by string walking... so that's what I did. I came to like it and became good at it. Eventually I came to try the other methods but always went back because it was what I knew.
    Pro's
    -Good for distance.
    Con's
    -Didn't like the noise at distances of 20 yards and under. (20 yards would require an inch crawl).
    -Potentially slower acquisition. 5-7 yards would be a 4" crawl for me. Ya, I can do it pretty fast, but, what else is on the menu?

Last spring I brought home a 68" 30# rattan longbow, with underspined arrows (doh!) My style of shooting I had developed... over years of practice... out the window! Haha it was NOT happening with this bow. So I had to switch styles.

Split finger instinctive was weird to learn, kind of like being 8 again lol, spittin' and chuckin' rocks, figuring out the projectile laws of the world, in a more simple manner.
    Pro's
    Quiet! All the time!
    -A potentially faster acquisition (no crawling).
    Con's
    -I was gonna say the practice required to acquire the skill, but, really that's half the fun! :)

I have found learning instinctive to be both challenging and rewarding, and on that note, I believe a session is in order :)
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  11. MikeD

I used differing methods of gap and string walking depending on the bow.
  12. JRExplorer3

JRExplorer3 .223

Just because I updated my pics.
    My rack with current recurves, arrows, etc. and my wife let's me hang it in the living room :)

[​IMG]