• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Training while impaired

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
Ok, I know the conventional wisdom for firearms is that firearms and alcohol or other impairment does not mix. I agree. However, real life being what it is, I'm asking if anyone besides me practices while impaired. Be it alcohol, lack of sleep, whatever. We all know that such things will degrade our performance - aim, judgement, reaction time, etc. but do you know precisely by how much, and can you recognize and compensate for that impairment? The only way to know is to do it. A bad guy is not likely to be courteous enough to only attack when you are stone cold sober, and prepared.

So who does it? If you don't, then you don't know what your limits are, and if you don't know your limits, then you don't know yourself.

I practice when mildly intoxicated, and/or lack of sleep, etc. Call it a habit ingrained by the USMC and combat.

I tend to shoot sober.

Since I haven't been drunk in years, it wouldn't serve me any purpose of shooting while drunk since it's such a rare occurrence. Plus, my judgement is usually off.

793936.gif

In my parts possession of a gun while intoxicated will land you in jail and revocation of your CPL.

I don't drink when I carry and I don't drink because I carry. I rarely partake any more and when I do it's never more than one shot of something GOOD and never while armed. I can probably count on one hand how many times I have had an alcohol buz in the last 10 years.

Good answer!

I think your point is totally valid. However, I just don't feel comfortable live firing (practice) while under the influence. I'm more of a safety first kind of wimp. Take care. Tom Worthington

Couple more to add:

I think if you train properly those skills will carry over, albeit degraded, while under the influence if you ever had to act in that condition.

I think any training you do under the influence would be a waste of time and probably be detrimental be cause of your degraded state. In this condition the brains cognitive skulls are in a good state for learning or perfecting something.You are better practicing one perfect draw a day them 50 bad ones.

If someone is worried about being able to defend themselves while intoxicated they should reconsider when, where and how much they are drinking.

YMMV

I don't think our local PD or neighbors would take too kindly of me popping off a few practice rounds over the pool. And loading/unloading a gun in the house while impaired can only end in something bad happening.

Now, if I lived out in the sticks away from anyone maybe I would be tempted...

I follow the rules of handling firearms as to avoid any and all possible accidents. if anything ever comes up I'll trust my constant training to kick in to subdue significant effects of any impairment at the time of "GO GO GO"

actually if you count heroin then yeah, all the time and I have gotten a lot better but usually you don't know you shot yourself till the next day...you know if you shoot someone else right away but usually you don't care so that's good

The easy answer regarding alcohol is to not drink.

I cannot condone training-while-impaired because it is dangerous. Don't wanna get shot before the gunfight starts.

I get plenty of sleep deprivation practice at work :(

Proper training while sober will benefit no matter what state you are in (i.e. lack of sleep or woken up in the middle of the night). Practicing creates muscle memory, which is what you will rely on in a real situation. You should be able to find, load, unload, clear a jamb, and find your safety with your eyes closed. Know your home and weapon in daylight and darkness. Also remember practice does NOT make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

On a lighter note, I "train" all the time when I'm UTI. I can beat the best of them...Stallone, Norris, AH-nold...in my mind that is...

A few things about the laws in CT
You are drunk while driving if you have a Blood Alcohol Level of 0.08
You are drunk while carrying a gun if you have a Blood Alcohol Level of 0.10
So by LAW you can drink more carrying a gun than driving.
It seems that I am like most of you, in that I cannot remember the last time I got drunk.
Funny considering that in my younger years I spent most weekends half in the bag.
Now I do carry ALL the time and EVERYWHERE so if someone says lets go have a drink then that means I am drinking while carrying. This happens rarely and NEVER ends up with me being intoxicated in the least bit.
To answer the question.....I never train while intoxicated since I am never intoxicated.

Drunk never impaired yes in that I have been on some long hunts and after hiking for 5 days and not sleeping well missed the shot of my life being tired defiantly affects your shooting but I don't make a habit of practicing that way

I don't get drunk anymore -- haven't for over 20 years. Most evenings, I'll have maybe one beer or one mixed drink. Enough to relax but -- IMO, not to get what I would consider impaired.

If I were to test out impairment, I'd have to travel to my range to do so - and that is not going to happen. Or, I have one friend who lives in the country and I sometimes shoot on his land. But here again - don't drink around he or his wife because she is a recovering alcoholic.

Back