• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Trap vs Skeet... Apparently I'm a skeet man

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
Did 4 games of skeet yesterday with a buddy of mine. Nailing much more clays than when I did trap the past 2 days.

Guess I'm a skeet man.

But I'll definitely keep playing trap to get better at it.

If any of your local ranges offer NRA Clays or sporting clays, give it a try as well. it can be humbling but fun as hell. They offer a little of everything with varying clay sizes and setup.

yes the place I go to has sporting clays. however there is a local hearing tomorrow regarding a county legislator wanting to close the facility!!!

I've sent my emails out to all of the legislators in the county. Unfortunately I wont be able to make the hearing due to my work schedule changing.

Always a battle on the legal gun owning front I tell ya!!

Water Monkey said:
yes the place I go to has sporting clays. however there is a local hearing tomorrow regarding a county legislator wanting to close the facility!!!

I've sent my emails out to all of the legislators in the county. Unfortunately I wont be able to make the hearing due to my work schedule changing.

Always a battle on the legal gun owning front I tell ya!!

Why do they want to close it down? Neighbors? Noise? Just cause they think they can?

Oli... between phone calls, emails, letters and rallies I can't count.

But I've been fighting on a state and federal level. This one is the local county level and the first I've heard of it a few days ago since I started clay shooting. Hearing is today but I couldn't make it due to work so I did my emails and calls to support those that are physically going.

OhioArcher,

They claim noise but the range has been there for almost 60 years and when it was built only 8 houses were there. So any new house built already knew about the range.

Then they claim environmental issues but no support for that.

They were losing in the courts so they are trying to get the parks committee to term the license.

What do they want to put in its place??? Frisbee golf. I shit you not.

Plus it will cost $36M to renovate the land which will be a tax payer expense.

Its full retard.

good luck with it, I just thought to myself after you post, between the fed, state and now county I bet you have done a lot of send button

27 speakers. Only 3 for closing the range. Not to mention all the calls or emails.

That's what I got so far

nice! every win, no matter how small is important! I'm lucky I live in the desert with plenty of blm land around to shoot on... but no nice facilities

yup I'll take it.

I got some false info... close to 100 people showed up. 90% against the resolution to close the range.

Water Monkey said:
Feeling like a big man today. Nailed 17/25 today on my skeet game.

was that you making all that noise this morning,,,,,,i'm trying to sleep. :lol:

nice game. :D

Water Monkey said:
Resolution denied. Range stays!!

Excellent news.

We had a similar problem in south Florida, specifically Homestead AFB. The base has been there for years. Several new developments went up right next to the base, one near but off to the side of the main runway (ok, only runway). All these new families moved in and guess what? They sued to have the base cancel any flying after 8-9 pm. This was a fighter base which switched from F-4s to F-16s. Yes, they are loud. Yes, we flew a lot of night missions. It is an active, war fighting base. Duh, people! The suit got tossed but we had to make concessions. No ground running after 10 pm. Minimal launches after that time as well unless we were in an exercise or inspection.

Don't like noise? Don't move next to something loud...

Personally, I love the sound of fighters. Miss them since I don't live near a base anymore...

Wow..... your story about the possibility of your range closing down brought back some memories. One of the local dirt tracks I used to race at up in Jersey was going through the same crap. The track was there since the late 60's, and there was only one house on the corner (about 1/2 mile from the track.... with nothing but farm fields between), but in the late 80's - Early 90's the old man died and his sons did not want to take over the family farm, so they sold it to a developer who then began putting houses up on the fields. Many a times; it went to the courts and township hearing and what not, and the track has always won due to the acknowledgement it was there before these houses were built. But in 2006 - 2007, the track owner and management decided they got tired of the complaints and legal procedures so decided to close down (which actually worked in benefit, because they then built up a bigger and better venue about an hour or so away...... went from a 5/8 dirt oval to a 2.25 asphalt road course with a dirt track in the plans on the adjacent property). Cracks me up though because last time I was up that way, they ended up building a motocross track right on the same property where the track was located.... they are even using the same stands when there are bigger events there.

Back