• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Trigger control

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
There are reams of instructions about this subject, some pertain to combat shooting - LEO or military, but what I have to say is pertaining to target shooting only. One such instruction is published by the Army: http://www.bullseyepistol.com/chapter0.htm

I'm going to mention something here about trigger control for semi-auto firearms in a target shoot that some of you may be familiar with and some may not. We're all familiar with the BRASS mantra - Breath Relax Aim Slack Squeeze. Which is good as far as it goes.

Here's a question to ask yourself and that pertains to both rifle and pistol. After the first shot goes down range do you fully release the pressure on the trigger so that on the second and subsequent shots you start over again with having to take up the trigger slack? I've never seen this discussed in any instruction, but it's something I learned many years ago.

If you do, you shouldn't. You should, relatively slowly, relax pressure and allow the trigger to move forward only until you feel the sear catch with that little click. This is beneficial in that it avoids the subconscious over-relaxation of your finger, hand and forearm, and you will automatically be ready to fire the next shot with when you're on target, having bypassed the 'Slack' step.

I've found that doing this results in significantly tighter groups. Try it if you haven't. I think you'll like it.

Every shooting class I have taken has stressed trigger reset as a key to consistency and preventing trigger slap. it also aloows you to send round downrange much faster.

It's easier to acquire with some guns than others. My G19 has a very distinct reset where the M&P I had prior was barely noticeable and I really have to work train myself to findl it.

One must be careful when picking up an unfamiliar gun. I had an unexpected double tap with a G17 the owner handed let me shoot but failed to tell me he had put a 3 .5 pound trigger in it when I was used to stock pull tension. Lesson learned.

Good info Gunny! This is how I've been taught in my training classes. But it seems the "squeeze" term is being altered to "press". Because the term "squeeze" my indirectly cause the person to squeeze their entire hand during the process. Whereby the "press" term can be associated with just the trigger finger pressing the trigger fully to the rear.

Good info Gunny! This is how I've been taught in my training classes. But it seems the "squeeze" term is being altered to "press". Because the term "squeeze" my indirectly cause the person to squeeze their entire hand during the process. Whereby the "press" term can be associated with just the trigger finger pressing the trigger fully to the rear.

Yep, heard that before, as well as other terms related to making a gun go bang, such as "yank" - which,btw, is the proper way to fire a flamethrower. Don't want that sucker dribbling out around your feet. ;)

A lot of folks also will refer to what I mentioned in the OP as "riding the reset", but that's a little different in my mind. I think of that term as somewhat dangerous to do if you're not already aimed in at a target.

Because the term "squeeze" my indirectly cause the person to squeeze their entire hand during the process.

I've been guilty of this. And still catch myself doing it sometimes.

Back