• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tritium front bead

I'm trying to find a good bright front sight for 500 series has to be tritium. All the ones I've seen so far are weak. Anyone recommend one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the meprolight on my 590A1
lol......well then everyone should thanks for the review......must be texting from the crapper today ?

I have a Mepro on my rig as well......it sucked. It lost brightness in a month and went dark after a couple. I wrote them about it but no reply........I didn't go up their ass about it because it isn't worth the trouble to me.

That being said I my primary open carry pistol and my primary conceal carry both have TruDot Mepro and have for years and are as bright and reliable as the day I bough the pistols.......and one gets a little beat on by practicing racking the slide on table tops, walls and such simulating a wounded arm

I actually was texting from the crapper. Helped with the transition to the bowl. Love putting one down in municipal facilities as I audit them. Wait... were you in the stall next to me? Damn Oregons...

It still has decent brightness. Seen about 1,000 rounds through the barrel since I installed it (Probably 200+ of them were full power slugs) as the shotgun is primarily the HD shotgun so it hasn't seen the range in little bit. I planned on getting it out for 24 hours of defensive training but the funds and the time have been spent more in the competition side of shooting lately.

That being said I also have the Surefire forend with the light and when that goes on the bead is immediately visible.

There's a couple of schools of thought on the tritium beads. I took an 8 hour no light pistol class a couple of years ago and the instructor was more adamant of having a decent light because your sights become visible as soon as the light goes on. And we did a variety of light holding techniques with one hand and also integrated lights on the weapon. There's other instructors who favor the tritium front sights. So it's what ever floats your boat.

lol......well then everyone should thanks for the review......must be texting from the crapper today ?

I have a Mepro on my rig as well......it sucked. It lost brightness in a month and went dark after a couple. I wrote them about it but no reply........I didn't go up their ass about it because it isn't worth the trouble to me.

That being said I my primary open carry pistol and my primary conceal carry both have TruDot Mepro and have for years and are as bright and reliable as the day I bough the pistols.......and one gets a little beat on by practicing racking the slide on table tops, walls and such simulating a wounded arm

Last edited:
Oh FYI... it was pretty easy to install but you might have to file down the threads a little bit if they protrude into the barrel.

Last edited:
I actually was texting from the crapper. Helped with the transition to the bowl. Love putting one down in municipal facilities as I audit them. Wait... were you in the stall next to me? Damn Oregons....

you are quite the multitasker......funny I am on lunch but sitting through an audit today for emergency costs on wildfires this last summer ......want to shoot myself in the face

Oh FYI... it was pretty easy to install but you might have to file down the threads a little bit if they protrude into the barrel.
I went spacer, I put a rubber o-ring under it and then shaved the rubber when it was where I wanted it.....little locktight in there too

+1 on loctite

I've been doing analytics on revenue and expenses for various governmental funds for the past week.

My eyes are bleeding.

CSEA employees should not be in charge of financial accounting.

When I use accounting terms their eyes glaze over.

Lol government.

Well. That made my choice a lot easier. I guess I'm throwing a flashlight out there. I do really hate pressure switch lights. .... So confused

What is the purpose you're looking for regarding the bead?

If you're setting up for low light/no light encounters you'll still need a light to properly identify your target.

As far as brightness of the tritium sights.... when I took the no light pistol course I have Ameriglo Pro idots on my Shield 9mm. When they first shut off the lights the glow was ok. Once my eyes adjusted to the dark the brightness really shined. So the brightness is also determined by your night vision at that moment too. That's assuming the tritium is still glowing.

If you don't like pressure switches you can get a barrel clamp and toss on a light. Check this thread out for ideas:

http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/weapon-mounted-tactical-lights-lasers.258/

I see they are including the bead now for the mossberg barrel.

I like the xs sight on my glock 19

I think I'm going with the xs that goes over the bead. The come highly recommended. Eventually I'll add a light when it's fully integrated for home defense. I think the ezelle clamp is the standard?

I think I'm going with the xs that goes over the bead. The come highly recommended. Eventually I'll add a light when it's fully integrated for home defense. I think the ezelle clamp is the standard?

dont know if there is a standard, its a good one though......I always run the TLR1's because they go good on anything but you need about a 4 slot rail

if you are prioritizing your funds, a light first for HD IMO......need ID if you have family members.....night sights only good for finding your sights in the dark or low light

I put the XS Big Dot on the front of mine. It did come with a new front bead to epoxy it over. The original is too big and the sight will not fit over it. (at least mine would not) I can honestly say that I am glad I went with the XS. Definitely visible in high, low or no light and the big white dot is easy to find when you are acquiring the target.

Randy

I have one on my 590A1
its not super bright but what tritium sight is
easy to pick in low or no light situations
Ive had mine a few months and so far it has not dimmed in the least
going to put it on a 500 I purchased too

Old thread, but I work at Trijicon, I'm the Iron Sights Team Leader.

We do the tritium for XS, Marbles, and many, many others. (USED to do Ameriglo even)

I'm trying to figure out what might be a good replacement for the LPA front post..might just have to press it out and look in my "spares"..if dovetails are comparable..then the sky's the limit! I could even do a VTAC type, with a fiber and tritium..IF the dovetails are close...
Considering the XS big dot for my 500. (the dovetail version) I might have to get those guys on the phone and see what they recommend to replace the orange post LPA front.

Back