• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tritium replacement for 3 Dot sights?

Curly

.22LR
Hello all, I just got my first Mossberg, a 590A1 with 3 dot sights. My question is does anyone make tritium sights for this setup. The front blade sight is mounted in a dovetailed slot with a set screw holding it in place, the rear is held in place on top of the barrel by a screw. Exchanging them is a no-brainer if I could just find tritium replacements. I did a search and found nothing for the 3 dot sights. Has anyone seen this?

What I know for sure is Meprolight makes the front blade in tritium. I dont however know about the rear.

Meprolight
ML_38501b.jpg

Rossignol said:
What I know for sure is Meprolight makes the front blade in tritium. I dont however know about the rear.

Meprolight
ML_38501b.jpg

Thanks Rossignol, I did see this one online but it's made for Ghost Ring Sights. The Ghost Ring Sight is much taller than the 3 dot. I'm guessing that I'm out of luck on this mod, probably not enough 3 dot models sold for anyone to make tritium for them.

Ahhhh, my bad, I had forgotten this replaces that front blade for the GRS...

Sorry about that.

I have a link. I think.. I was looking at a gun forum the other day and some guy sells the tubes of them. I'll look at it later tomorrow when I get home. If you'd like to remind me around 6pm eastern time. Just post in here at that time and ill get a notification on my phone.

ripjack13 said:
I have a link. I think.. I was looking at a gun forum the other day and some guy sells the tubes of them. I'll look at it later tomorrow when I get home. If you'd like to remind me around 6pm eastern time. Just post in here at that time and ill get a notification on my phone.

OK, thanks ripjack

obeekaybee....here's the links..i found more while searching for the page i was originally referring to. but i don't think that page has what you wanted...but these here should...i hope.

http://www.lpasights.com/catalog-shotgun.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/meprolight- ... tguns.html

http://bestpriceprobe.com/products/Shot ... Sight.html

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6847 ... ight-Sight

http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-mr-ap-mossberg.html

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=1036 ... Sight-Sets

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
One VERY important thing to remember...

If you order the Meprolight bead, or ANY night sights for that matter, be sure to call and find out on what date the item they'll be sending you was made. Depending on where you buy them, some aftermarket sights can sit in warehouse stock for several years before they're sold/shipped. This can mean that their expected life-span could be half over by the time they're in your hands. A lot of the problems people experience with night sights and short life-span can be attributed to this timing issue, not simply defective product.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
As far as the 12 vs. 7 year life expectancy goes, I'm sure there's a bit of technicality there. I would imagine that the sights may have tested to be technically functional for "up to" 12 years, but their actual peak luminescence averages closer to 7 years. There can be a big disconnect between what the manufacturer deems functional and what we expect out of the product.

=================================================================

let me know it goes, and if i helped.

ripjack13 said:
obeekaybee....here's the links..i found more while searching for the page i was originally referring to. but i don't think that page has what you wanted...but these here should...i hope.

let me know it goes, and if i helped.

Man ripjack, I appreciate all the effort you went through but it seems that no one makes tritium sights for the Mossberg w/ 3 dot sights. The front sight on my Mossy looks to be about the same size as the front sight on my Sig hand gun but with a different size dovetail. The closest looking set I could find was Trilicon's set for Remington shotguns, but still the front sight looks too tall and the rear looks too short on that one.

Again, I thank you and appreciate you giving it a shot. That's what is great about this forum.

gumbydammit said:
Try XS Sights.

Thanks Gumby, but still no luck there either. I'm going to go down to my local dealer and see if any manufacturer has the same front sight as used on my Mossy. Once again, thanks guys.

I'm goin down to my LGS today as well, I'll see what they say about too...

Thought I'd post up pics of the standard 3 dot sights for reference.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 501
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 501
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 499
So you need a low profile dove tail sight... and matched rear preferably. I'll look too as I'm able.

We use the XS Dovetail Tritium Dot quite a lot. In fact, my personal 590 has the factory GRS and a Dovetail XS Tritium Dot front sight. I'll put our sights on it eventually.
Measure the height of the front sight, just the insert. Contact XS and tell them you need a Dovetail Tritium Dot of that height, or as close as they have.
I think the sights may actually be for Remingtons, so you may have to file a little on the dovetail.

be warned, mounts plus has a habit of not having stuff in stock they take money for, and dont really care. Some of the worst CS I ever had....if they have it in stock, probably fine.

Would this Meprolight front blade work with Mossberg-installed XS ghost ring sights in a 930? My front blade was not secured and popped out and was lost during first firing. I would love a fiberoptic or big dot blade that would fit with the 930 factory-installed XS GRS rear.

Would this Meprolight front blade work with Mossberg-installed XS ghost ring sights in a 930? My front blade was not secured and popped out and was lost during first firing. I would love a fiberoptic or big dot blade that would fit with the 930 factory-installed XS GRS rear.

What model is it exactly? Is it the dove tail type front? If so, I'd say yes, but let me know what model and I'll do some more looking.

Back