• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Trouble loading 3" sabot rounds

All,
When I went to load 3" sabot rounds to shoot through the slug barrel I noticed that I can't load it directly in the magazine tube. The rim of the 3" sabot round will s-c-r-a-p-e the elevator and almost feels that it will get stuck between the elevator and action if you try to muscle it in the magazine.

If instead I load a 2 3/4 " shell in the magazine FIRST then I can load a 3" sabot round in the magazine. Anyone else having this same kind of problem?

Really? I'm the only one that has used a 3" sabot in a 930? To be honest the 2 3/4 inch sabot will give the shooter quite a kick.

It looks like the design of the sabot shell is trying to "spoon w/ the follower". Because there isn't a lot of space for the elevator to move up into the receiver the shell will get stuck between the magazine tube and bottom of the elevator.

In all my shotgun applications over the decades, I cannot recall one time where I needed a 3" sabot when a 2 3/4" was available.

Just because you can doesn't mean you have to...

I agree with Shooter on this one. ;-D

Try different brands of ammo. There is actually a lot of variation between manufacturers between different loads within each manufacturer. If the same issue occurs with multiple brands I could be the gun, if it only occurs with one brand, it's probably the ammo itself.

The follower is hanging up in the magazine tube. I cleaned and then polished the magazine tube interior and the issue with loading 3" shells went away (At least for me).

In all my shotgun applications over the decades, I cannot recall one time where I needed a 3" sabot when a 2 3/4" was available.

Just because you can doesn't mean you have to...
Shooter13 must have been in the line behind me because there weren't any 2 3/4" sabot shells at Wally World only 3" :(

What brand are we taking about here?

Sent from my Apple Newton in 1993 with 640k of RAM

Winchester 3" sabot rounds are the ones I'm not able to load UNLESS I have one (1) shotgun shell in the tube. The shotgun shell in the magazine tube presents a flat surface not a curved surface like the magazine follower. I'll see if I can take a picture and upload it.

Hornaday and Remington 2 3/4 sabot rounds load just fine.

Back