• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Troubling Numbers

I don't have a vehicle without electronics. The closest thing that would be a riding lawnmower. Do have a bicycle, though, I would almost prefer to walk because I would have an awful time staying bent over and trying to pedal these days.

Have an atv, but it has a computer too.

I have actually considered making a steam car. Well, car would probably not be the correct term. More like a steam powered go kart. Looks fairly straightforward from a motorcycle piston.

No electricity = no gas.

Unless you can make your own. It's not hard to do and you can get a fuel permit for under 10,000 gallons a year for free.

https://www.clawhammersupply.com/bl...856388-fuel-alcohol-permit-the-ultimate-guide

I don't have a vehicle without electronics. The closest thing that would be a riding lawnmower. Do have a bicycle, though, I would almost prefer to walk because I would have an awful time staying bent over and trying to pedal these days.

Have an atv, but it has a computer too.

I have actually considered making a steam car. Well, car would probably not be the correct term. More like a steam powered go kart. Looks fairly straightforward from a motorcycle piston.

No electricity = no gas.

Unless you can make your own. It's not hard to do and you can get a fuel permit for under 10,000 gallons a year for free.

https://www.clawhammersupply.com/bl...856388-fuel-alcohol-permit-the-ultimate-guide
Lol John A, steam punk….lol I think 10,000 gallons of any fuel will still be there long after my 3 month supply of heart meds ran out…

I understand what you're saying.

The fuel permit is up to 10k gallons.

I wouldn't expect that anyone would be able to make that much, without using large 1000 gallon stills and running it in shifts as a business. You certainly wouldn't be able to do that in a small still like what most people would be using.

I was just putting the info out there.

I think under the worst circumstances, barring a full scale land invasion encompassing where you live the best thing is having like-minded friends and neighbors that are similarly equipped and ready to circle the wagons. Like in your excerpt above John, each of us on our own or even small family groups are very vulnerable to organized, violent groups just waiting in the wings for an opportunity.

The more remote you go, the safer you'll be from those types of threats but the tougher your life will get and the more prepared you have to be to survive off the land. For a great many of us that would be nearly impossible as the knowledge has been lost. Not to mention the mental preparation required is enormous. You gotta be a stubborn sum-b*tch.

Americans were asked what they would do if they were in the same position as Ukrainians are now: stay and fight or leave the country?
A majority (55 percent) say they would stay and fight, while 38 percent say they would leave the country...

@Ernst - This is one of the most fascinating political discussion threads I've seen in a while. Thank you.
Could you post a link to the original article about "Americans were asked what they would do if they were in the same position as Ukrainians are now" for us?

What is sort of interesting is that most Americans don't even know what the literal position of Ukraine is on a map!

Scoop, if you look back at my post number 9 there is a link to the original poll which contains a number of interesting questions. The specific question being discussed here is #8. Here's the link again but post #9 gives some other details on who conducted the poll.

https://poll.qu.edu/poll-release?releaseid=3838

I would agree with you. Ask 5 people on the street today and likely only one would know where Ukraine is! In fact, a bunch of people living in the U.S. likely couldn't even identify where some states are on a map. Our education system is #*^$.

Regards

I think under the worst circumstances, barring a full scale land invasion encompassing where you live the best thing is having like-minded friends and neighbors that are similarly equipped and ready to circle the wagons.

CMC, totally agree with you, however, in this day and age we need to be very careful in choosing "dependable" friends. Over the years many rural and small town areas have been infiltrated by people trying to escape from troubled urban areas. And that is fine if they are committed to blending in to the lifestyle and ways of their new found home. But we are seeing to many that their attitude is "well this is not how we did this back where we came from" and are trying to change our ways.

Like in the military you must build trust in people who will have your back in bad situations. Building in trust in neignbors today is no different. Pays to be careful!

Regards

... Ask 5 people on the street today and likely only one would know where Ukraine is!

Thanx for the link.

This map is from April 2014, but I'll bet the numbers are not too far off today.

534309c3eab8eaec227e1cb7

"Each dot represents the location where a survey respondent situated Ukraine. The color represents how far off each dot is from the actual location, with red representing the most accurate responses. Only one in six Americans were able to accurately place Ukraine on a map."
:link: Here's Where Americans Think Ukraine Is (businessinsider.com)

If someone can't contribute, providing they are capable, they are a hindrance. Two neighbors that don't/won't plan, and consequencialtly have no food, and show up looking for food. Sorry, in a shtf scenario the survival of the fittest rules.

It sounds cold and cruel, but it's not like these crises sneak up on us.

Back