• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Turkey Load Performance

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
I have three different loads I'll begin this thread with and I encourage others to add to it if you like.

I began with Hornady turkey magnum loads with VersaTite, 3" #5. After being really disappointed and getting a pattern I could only use to about 25 yards, I began looking for something else. The Hornady produced 100 pellets in 10" at 25 yards which isn't terrible but it's a definite handicap. Additionally, it doesn't work well at all through a ported choke tube.

The next load I tried was Winchester DoubleX, 3" #5. I found some turkey hunters on Instagram who highly recommended the combination of the DoubleX and Kicks chokes. I wasn't ready to get the choke but the ammo was readily available. The DoubleX produced far better patterns through a TruGlo ported choke tube. I was able to get more than 100 pellets in 10" at 40 yards.

After that, I began trying other chokes to tighten the pattern. What I found was that the TruGlo StrutStopper Extreme .670 was the superior choke tube but continued using other choke tubes to evaluate the ammo I was using.

So with another choke tube in hand, a Carlson's LongbeardXR .683 choke, I tried the DoubleX again. I was seriously disappointed again. For the hype of the choke, it produced a pattern of only 47 pellets in 10" at 40 yards.

To give the choke a fair shake, I figured I'd try the ammo that lends its name to the tube. Winchester LongbeardXR 3" #5.

This is really interesting! I began testing the LongbeardXR ammo through both chokes. Both chokes produced better patterns. The TruGlo choke increased about 30%, from around 100 pellets to more than 130 in 10". Get this, the LongbeardXR choke increased in pattern density by more than 100%! From 47 pellets to I think 105 in 10". Not as dense as the TruGlo choke but quite a bit improved.

I promptly exchanged the LongbeardXR choke for a Carlson's extended ported turkey choke with a slightly tighter constriction at .675 and tried the load again. A slight increase was observed.

The LongbeardXR load from Winchester is superior to the others I've tried. The combination is solid to 40 yards.

Last edited:
I'll be using the longbeardXR #4 load this season. The choke is an accuchoke extended ported turkey ckoke. It's a xx-full .670 constriction.
Hoping to do some patterns next month to see what it looks like. I am hoping it's good out to 40 yards.

Good deal, I'm looking forward to your findings!

I guess I should have included, (and will update the above information), that the loads I used were #5s. I'm switching though to the 6s.

Also, the choke constrictions for the 835/935 accumag are these;
Carlson's LongbeardXR, .683
Carlson's extended ported turkey, .675
TruGlo StrutStopper Extreme, .670

***Edited the above info to include shot size and choke exit diameters.***

Last edited:
Is #4 the wrong size in your opinion?

I checked the truglo price and its only 20 bucks. Quite a bit less than I expected. I paid over 50 for the accuchoke. I may try to pattern both. But now I'm concerned about the shot size.

I had believed the #4 was the way to go initially. But even the #6 shows to have the terminal velocity to be effective, some say to 60+ yards in the LongbeardXR due to the shotlok wad preventing deformation of the pellets. More pellets means more hits on target but they're smaller and retain less energy, but it's still enough to kill a turkey.

I really like the TruGlo. It's a sleeper. There isn't the marketing hype of other chokes and it costs less than half of most others. In your case, I would try the tightest TruGlo available and pattern the #6s. The StrutStopper Xtreme has patterned wonderfully for the overbored 835. Unfortunately in my case it's a loaner and I have to give it back, but on the bright side, as you said, it can be found for about $20.

Here are some of the patterns I've shot;

This first one is the Carlson's LongbeardXR choke at .683 and Winchester DoubleX 3" #5 at 40 yards,
image.jpg

Carlson's LongbeardXR choke and Winchester LongbeardXR 3" #5 at 40 yards,
image.jpg

Carlson's extended ported turkey choke .675 and Winchester LongbeardXR 3" #5 at 40 yards,
image.jpg

TruGlo StrutStopper Xtreme .670 and Winchester LongbeardXR 3" #5 at 40 yards,
image.jpg

Thank you sir. I saw these in an earlier post of yours. excellent information and thanks for posting the pattern images. I will try patterns with 4, 5 & 6 shot and both chokes to see how they look. will report back.

gobble.jpg

dance2.gif

You're welcome, I have a little more I can add to this later.

I'll be patterning next weekend (25th or 26th) and will report back.

Good deal, looking forward to it!

What will you be using (gun, choke, and load)?

***EDIT***

I'm an idiot. I just reread your earlier post. My bad.

Last edited:
Here are my most recent patterns through the 20" 835;

1st TruGlo Strut Stopper Xtreme .670, Winchester LongBeard 3" #6 1-3/4 oz 1200 FPS, 40 yards

2nd Carlson's extended ported turkey choke .675, Winchester LongBeard 3" #6 1-3/4 oz 1200 FPS, 40 yards

Shot a little high and I knew as soon as I fired. After adjusting to the center of the pattern I count 173 pellets in 10".
image.jpg

POA/POI pretty close, I probably could have moved my circle up a little and picked up a few more pellets but the idea is to get a count at POA and I count 172 here in 10".
image.jpg

Reposting from the hunting forum:

My first attempt at a write up:

I took my Maverick 88 12 gauge to the range for the first time today. My father in law and I were patterning our guns for our upcoming turkey hunt.

Gun: (Note: this was the first time this gun has been fired, it was purchased last week)
  • Maverick 88
  • 12 Gauge
  • 28" Barrel
  • Truglo Fiber Optic sights
  • Hogue Overmolded 12" LOP Stock
Choke:
  • Primos Tight Wad - .660 Constriction
Ammo:
  • Remington Nitro Turkey - 3" - 1210 Velocity - 1 7/8 shot - 4 shot ~$14 per box
  • Winchester Super X Turkey Load - 3" - 1210 Velocity - 1 7/8 shot - 5 shot ~$10 per box
c391107f8f0ddb88c6c6462188fa1230.jpg

44f53c1a76de571d93a6772b327e3aa8.jpg

Distance - 30 yards, outdoor range.

Target 1:
Seated
Remington Ammo
27 hits
NOTE: This was my first shot, I missed high left.

61835c7f4908dd18497fbd908d0fdf87.jpg

Target 2:
Seated
Remington Ammo
43 hits

d49f27dab0015d1fee1cd3b164553648.jpg

Target 3:
Standing
Remington Ammo
28 hits

fc094ac6254da4beffe5f3afc6b3adfa.jpg

Target 4:
Standing
Remington Ammo
47 hits (this one may have gotten some overspray from another shot)

22e0f7d091ba4c91d07499541fcc449f.jpg

Target 5:
Seated
Winchester Ammo
44 Hits

bb6edc3ada4803979b65443d45ca182d.jpg

Target 6:
Seated
Winchest Ammo
20 hits

83b8886ad982b2f2484eb99349e52f74.jpg

To me, it seems that the ammo is about the same. I blame any inconsistencies on my own inexperience. This is only the third time I have fired a shotgun. I will say that I was much more comfortable standing. The Truglo sights were also much better for me than the standard bead sight.

Not sure if this info is helpful to anyone, but it was fun to gather the data! :)

bf3a70f2a391cc7a6c65465e6009442c.jpg

Those don't look too bad and I think you're right, they seem to be about the same. That's dead at that distance.

I've had a hard time calling birds in closer than 50 to 60 yards and is why ultimately I switched to the LongBeard #6 shot. I can run it through a choke that is only a little more open than what you have here but I'm starting with 10 ga dimensions of .775 all the way down to .675.

I've heard a lot of people say they've been nothing but happy with Rem Nitro and I hope to see you saying the same thing after you guys get out to hunt!

Thanks for the post, you did good and I always appreciate the pics to back up what you're seeing!!! You did the right thing by patterning, it's looking good and the Mav 88 looks sweet too!

Those don't look too bad and I think you're right, they seem to be about the same. That's dead at that distance.

I've had a hard time calling birds in closer than 50 to 60 yards and is why ultimately I switched to the LongBeard #6 shot. I can run it through a choke that is only a little more open than what you have here but I'm starting with 10 ga dimensions of .775 all the way down to .675.

I've heard a lot of people say they've been nothing but happy with Rem Nitro and I hope to see you saying the same thing after you guys get out to hunt!

Thanks for the post, you did good and I always appreciate the pics to back up what you're seeing!!! You did the right thing by patterning, it's looking good and the Mav 88 looks sweet too!

Thank you! I know it's not very deep, but I figured the data may help some one even a little bit.

The hunt it two weeks from today. I'm pretty excited!

Back