• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Turkey Season 2013

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
New season, new thread.

OTC licenses go on sale on the 11th here in MI.

NWTF Seminar later in the month.

Let the discussion, speculation, story telling and bragging begin!!!

Not a turkey hunter but have fun...seem to see a lot of them around here right now. That will change... ;)

I already took off from work for May 1-5 for opening season.

I almost hit a huge Tom on the interstate this afternoon.

I was doin about 75 and he right out into traffic. It was the funniest thing when he realized what was goin on and turned a 180 back into the weeds. That would have been one helluva mess...

Woo....I can't wait to go out. I found 2 local hunters who wanna join in on the search. I'll be going the first out by myself. Gotta have at least one for me.
If you haven't been practicing your calls nows the time!

I've a rafter of about 35/50 turkey that wander around my property off and on during the year. They are here en mass in the Fall and Spring. Haven't seen many yet this year. But during the time they are here, they often wake me with all their running around on the roof of my house. One whole wall of my bedroom is windows and they are set low to the ground. It's not unusual for the turkey to be peeking in the window in the morning when I awaken. It's cool. Now the part that will kill all you turkey hunters...........I'm not one of you! :lol: Love to watch them..........but never shot one. That will change when food supplies grow short at the grocery stores, as they will in time. Just know that I will, once again, enjoy turkey season.............but for a different reason than many. :mrgreen:

I got a new slate call for christmas, and I've been piddling around with it, but I'm not sure I'll be able to hunt all that much. I am going up to Potter County Pennsylvania again the first week of the PA season which starts on April 27th this year. Then I start my new job on May 7th so I'm not sure I'll have many days off to hunt.

GunnyGene said:
Question: Is #4 buckshot a good load for turkey? Don't have any bird shot handy.

Probably not. Check your local laws. Number 4 birdshot is the largest allowed here for turkey. The typical load is #6 through #4 birdshot and different combinations thereof.

GunnyGene said:
Question: Is #4 buckshot a good load for turkey? Don't have any bird shot handy.
when does your season start? PM me your address and i'll send you a handful of #5 bird shot. :)

old mossy said:
GunnyGene said:
when does your season start? PM me your address and i'll send you a handful of #5 bird shot. :)

Season runs from Mar 15 - May 1. 3 gobblers per Spring w/6" or longer beard. Just curious about using #4buck. I can get birdshot locally, but thanks for the offer. I was thinking that #4 buck might be better than birdshot at my likely ranges (50-75yds) since my 590 is a cylinder bore. Shot size laws don't apply on private land here. I can use whatever I like.

GunnyGene said:
old mossy said:
GunnyGene said:

Season runs from Mar 15 - May 1. 3 gobblers per Spring w/6" or longer beard. Just curious about using #4buck. I can get birdshot locally, but thanks for the offer. I was thinking that #4 buck might be better than birdshot at my likely ranges (50-75yds) since my 590 is a cylinder bore. Shot size laws don't apply on private land here. I can use whatever I like.

i would go with the bird shot and stick to 25 to 30 yards. JMO

Gunny, have you patterned your gun with #4 buck at 50-75 yards?

I always go for a head shot to keep from messing up the meet and I can't imaging a very tight pattern at these ranges using a cyl bore.

Hornady makes a round with a shot cup that works like a choke tube and does not need a tight constriction, as per their ad. LINKY

MikeD said:

I always go for a head shot to keep from messing up the meet and I can't imaging a very tight pattern at these ranges using a cyl bore.

Hornady makes a round with a shot cup that works like a choke tube and does not need a tight constriction, as per their ad. LINKY

Haven't patterned at that range, but I was thinking that's pushing it some. Might just stick with my .22mag. I'll look into the Hornady. Thanks.

GunnyGene said:
MikeD said:

Haven't patterned at that range, but I was thinking that's pushing it some. Might just stick with my .22mag. I'll look into the Hornady. Thanks.

You're somewhat luck;y here were are limited to shotgun for turkey and the rules apply regardless of whether the land is public or private. We are also limited to only one tag per season (spring/fall)

I've heard there are places where rifles are legal but have yet to hunt anywhere where that's the rule. I think It would be interesting and hard to snipe one at distance.

OTC Turkey tags for my zone go on sale tomorrow! This will be my first hunt of any kind, and I am excited as heck! The bad thing is the only tags left are for the 2nd week in May. But that gives me the time to go through Hunters Safety (at 44 years old!)

I have my wet box, Horniday #5's, a quick set blind, camo and my Mossey 500! I am scouting the public land around here. I know that the odds are against me my first time out but I just look forward to the experience.

Any advice from the more seasoned Gobbler hunters?

Picked up my OTC tag and a box of shells. My season eason runs 4/22 thru 5/5, first of the MI seasons. Bring It!!!

I specifically set up my gun to be able to shoot HeviShot this year but I'm opting to go back to the tried and true Wincehester Supreme Turkey loads. I just can't bring myself to pay $42+ for a box of 10 shotgun shells.

I may even end up hunting with the compound or crossbow a few days this year. :D

Back