• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Turkey Season 2013

I'm living vicariously through you guys.

No joy for me this spring.

I took off from this Tuesday till the following Monday to go hunting...I can't wait to get back in the woods. I haven't been hunting since deer season in the fall. Way too long.

Finally after 3 seasons Ive christened my 500!! My cuz and I after hearing what sounded like a distant gobble set up, and it then only took 5 min to see them break over the top of the hill. It was that 100 yards from the top of the hill that took just about an hour to move them into range. They kept wanting to strut away and we would call them back in our direction, and when they were within 40 yrds and a hen joined the game and we thought we were going to have the boys taken from us! She busted out of the field first and was feeding 10-15 yrds behind us so calling was done for us! We were forced to leave it up to her and our decoys to bring two of the three toms into position that both my cuz and I both had a shot. It was an unbelievable morning!!!

Attachments

• DSCN0644.jpg
    DSCN0644.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 140
Awesome. Congrats!!!

Thanks Mike, and right back at you with the congrats!! Mine also had a 9 inch and one inch spurs, at 18 pounds. I will be going out again for the last weekend in New York

hock said:
Thanks Mike, and right back at you with the congrats!! Mine also had a 9 inch and one inch spurs, at 18 pounds. I will be going out again for the last weekend in New York

I'm jealous of you guys that get multiple tags. Only one spring tag here in MI.

I live in Jersey and only get one bird here. If anyone ever saw our tag rules here in NJ you would love whatever state you live in, NJ has to be the worst. My uncles property is in NY so I get out of state sportsman tag which runs me $280 so a couple extra birds and deer helps make me feel that much better about the $280.

hock said:

Hock!! I was wonderin where you have been. I tried out the squirrel recipe you gave me and it was good!!! Thanx man!

DHonovich said:
I took off from this Tuesday till the following Monday to go hunting...I can't wait to get back in the woods. I haven't been hunting since deer season in the fall. Way too long.

How was your hunt? Did you see anything?

397836_705565609424_1242838241_n.jpg

19.8lbs of lean muscle with 1 9/16 spurs...my brother bagged a stud of a bird on Sunday. I saw a bunch of jakes but I was holding out for a big tom. I may go out again this Sunday but will see.

Big congrats to your brother, that is a nice tom.

Hopefully you can make it back out. Good Luck!

Congrats to everyone getting birds! I never made it out hunting, too much else going on. Guess ill just wait till fall rolls around.

I'm taking Friday off to out. I found a good spot on the side of the field. Good cover and a better view of the surrounding area.

I almost hit one the other day. Must have taken off from right next to the expressway, I had to slam on the breaks to keep it from coming through the windshield on the way home from work a few days ago.

You guys are pretty lucky. I'd love to try my hand at a turkey hunt sometime. The only turkeys I ever get to see are either the frozen ones at the grocery stores or the ones folks stupidly elected sometimes babbling on the TV. Something about go buy a shotgun maybe was the last one I remember seeing. :lol:

Well I finally got one on Saturday. It was pouring out all morning. Rain finally stopped at 11:30. At 11:45 four toms wandered over the hill. I was just about to pick up my decoy! So I sat back down against the big ol pine and made a few yelps. They made their way over to the deke and 3 started to check it out. I line one of the bigger ones up in my sight and when he stuck his head out to let out a gobble, BOOM! The Mighty 835 brought him down.
23lbs. 1" spurs. 8" beard. Not bad....

Attachments

• IMG_20130525_123519.jpg
    IMG_20130525_123519.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 118
Very cool rip. That's a great lookin' turkey.

Surprised that you can still hunt with a shotgun though. I figured they had everyone restricted to sticks and stones and words now. [ :evil: extreme sarcasm]

Back