• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

TX: Church shooting victims sue gun dealer

Scoop

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Texas judge lets church shooting victims sue gun retailer
Source: Associated Press

Updated 1:58 pm CST, Monday, February 4, 2019
SAN ANTONIO (AP) — A judge has ruled that victims of a mass shooting at a Texas church can move forward with a lawsuit against a sporting goods chain where the gunman bought the weapon and ammunition used in the massacre.

The decision Monday by state District Judge Karen Pozza in San Antonio clears the way for families of the 2017 Sutherland Springs shooting to potentially bring their case against Academy Sport & Outdoors before a jury.

The retailer is where gunman Devin Kelley bought an assault-style rifle used in the church shooting that killed more than two dozen people.

Some families have also separately sued the U.S. Air Force over failing to report Kelley's past crimes to a federal database. Kelley wan an Air Force veteran who was discharged in 2014 for bad conduct .

Text above from: https://www.chron.com/news/texas/ar...-church-shooting-victims-sue-gun-13587683.php

I sympathize with the families, but this is a slippery slope. I have bought numerous guns from Academy and they always run the check. I can't imagine the one the shooter made his purchase was any different. It's like suing a car dealership because one of their customers crashes while texting someone and kills some folks.

This sounds like a lefty tactic, trying to get more stores to quit selling guns and ammo.

I agree. I don't think this suit will be successful. I could be wrong.
I'll keep my eye on this so I can update.
hide.gif

Wasn't academy's fault if he passed the check. It's the government's fault. Don't see them trying to recall a mofo or ask for resignations for negligence do you? Either bad advice from their legal counsel or members going full retard. Probably both.

Ambulance chasing lawyers. That's all I can say.

I know a few guys who live near the area. Said this suit was filed in a decidedly leftist area.

In which they believe that it will likely win, be appealed to the higher supreme court where it will be over-turned was their prediction.

At any rate, yes, Academy always did background checks and I have no doubt they did on this one too. That was no fault of their own. But I think they would have been better off trying to sue the federal government for failing to report him to NICS when he got a dishonorable discharge from the air force in the first place.

It was not the dealers fault. It was not the manufacturers fault. If you're going to sue the dealer, you should've sued the car company for providing him the means to drive to the church, the gas station for selling him the gas for his car, and his shoe manufacturer for allowing him to not stub his toe while trying to getaway.

Like meanstreak said, I feel for the families and have prayed for them because I have no idea the kind of anguish they have went through, but this lawsuit isn't right.

I would have at least sued the guys estate so everything he owned down to his unused trash bags could be sold to help pay for either final costs for the deceased or for counseling for the survivors or whatever was needed the most. But suing the gun dealer who did nothing wrong besides trying to make an honest living is wrong.

90% chance this suit was taken on contingency. The law firm goes to the victims and sues to get 20-30% of the judgement, whatever it is. They probably have another law firm that will offer their services to "defend" the store and encourage them to settle. Plaintiffs get some money and the law firms split the 30% under the table.

If this suit ever gets to a jury or judge for a decision, I doubt it would succeed.

Back