• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Unhappy new 464 owner

viking

Copper BB
I just bought a new 464 30-30 . In the process of cleaning it prior to first shots I noticed that the bolt would "lock up " when trying to open or close the lever , especially if there was any sideways pressure on the lever .
I called the factory and was told that " that was normal and to be sure not to put any side pressure when working the lever " . Not what I wanted to hear , especially for a defense gun .
In any case , I insisted that the gun go back to the factory . They are supposed to send me a shipper in the next day or so .
Has anyone else experienced this problem , and if so , has it been resolved ?
I really wanted to buy American , But I hope that was not a huge mistake .

Welcome aboard Sir,

I don't own a 464 myself but seem to remember a similar issue, also with a newly manufactured 464. As I recall, the issue was resolved after the firearm was sent in to Mossberg for inspection and repair. We have recently been provided a direct contact at Mossberg that has offered to help us out with any issues that arise. If you don't receive your shipping label in the next day or so, give Joe a call...

Joe Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

Keep us posted on your situation. We're looking forward to them getting you up and running 100%...

welcome from NY viking. sorry to hear about the problem.

Sorry to hear you're not happy w/ the new 464. I've had mine less than 6 mos. & this is my 1st lever gun, so I can't really compare to another brand, but I can tell you there was a "break-in" period w/ mine. The difference between the feel of the action on the 1st 20 rounds vs. after 200 or so rounds was big.

For the 1st 50 or so I was having trouble w/ the cartridges hanging up about half the time coming up the feed ramp, but that has gone away. The lever would hang up down at full open sometimes, but I never could tell if it was the lever linkage or the drop block. Whatever it was, that problem disappeared around the same time.

My conclusion is the parts are made a little on the tight side to allow for break-in. I hope yours comes together for you.

Jeff

Back