1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Use of reloaded ammo for self protection

Discussion in 'Ammunition' started by warren5421, Nov 20, 2021.

1. warren5421

warren5421 .22LR

I use either a Mossberg 500A or a older Remington 870 to hunt with. I leave the gun loaded in a corner by my headboard. The load is two .620" round balls which is deadly on deer or hogs. Now the question: If I should grab the gun, shoots someone (with the reload deer/hog rounds) who breaks into the house and it kills them. Can the court do anything to me, if the shooting is ruled justified, for using the reloaded rounds I used?
  2. Bobster

Bobster .30-06 Supporter

While I only play a lawyer on TV, I don't think a load consisting of two 1/2 slugs would matter to a court assuming both a slug and buckshot are legal in your state. Now if you were using Dragon's Breath or exploding rounds there might be a question or two not to mention you would burn your house down... :D
    TheRude1 likes this.
  3. nitesite

nitesite Average Guy Moderator "Philanthropist"

NO.

I've been a shooter for over 40 years. I've been a cop (now retired), I have been a reloader of shotgun, handgun and rifle.

And I have carried my own reloaded ammunition in several rifles and handguns. Some of it was even carried on duty as a cop, because I opted for carrying non-issued guns, so I had to provide my own ammo.

I made 5.56mm all copper barrier blind ammo that you just couldn't easily purchase.

My J-frame off-duty/backup had my handholds with 170-gr cast LSWCs doing 725-fps.

SO I have absolutely NO hesitation in carrying ammo made by me.

Am I supposed to accept a knife's factory sharpening job, or can I improve on it and make it more effective? Same thing.
    John A., TheRude1 and Bobster like this.
  4. oli700

oli700 12g Supporter "Philanthropist"

with the ammo situation I imagine soon people will be converting shotguns to blunderbuss and defending themselves with a barrel full of drywall screws
    nitesite and John A. like this.
  5. TheRude1

TheRude1 .270 WIN

Good question, I don't think it makes a difference but I know someone to ask. Locally we have a 2A attorney (damn good one) on 93.1fm Saturdays 5-7pm(if not preempted by IU football) if he's on next week I'll call and ask. Otherwise I'll check with my friend with over 20yrs as a LEO and detective.
  6. John A.

John A. Unconstitutional laws are not laws. Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

I'm ok with using any weapon or ammunition at my disposal to protect myself and my family.

Be it spears, tomahawks, firearms, kitchen knives, table chairs, fists, feet, what-nots, even the fancy towels in the bathroom that my wife doesn't want anyone to use. Or even my good liquor bottles.
    oli700, Bobster and nitesite like this.
  7. Bobster

Bobster .30-06 Supporter

I've often thought of this in the shop if someone were to walk in with a bad attitude. The number of potential weapons lying out and about (besides the pistol in the toolbox or shotty in the office) is mind-boggling and only limited by my imagination--busy hands make for a wandering mind... :D I could whip a solid cube of brass at a perp guaranteed to leave a mark. :D Who needs pepper spray when I have a can of (red) Brakleen that will shoot just as far but blind and gag even more effectively. ;) Hammers and wrenches and utility knives and so on.

Once apprehended and secured, I could certainly interrogate with methods potentially more "effective" than water-boarding but I haven't been able to find any volunteers to try them on. ;) Let's just say I have welders and powertools... :D
  8. John A.

John A. Unconstitutional laws are not laws. Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

^Pretty much this.

I never signed the Geneva Convention Treaty or 1990 weapons accord or anything of the sorts.

This is why I've made it so hard for anyone to break into my house. It's for their protection, not mine.
    oli700 likes this.
  9. TheRude1

TheRude1 .270 WIN

In the state of IN if you are legal in killing someone in self-defense(as long as it is reasonable), how you do it is of no matter. IE, booby traps, small nuclear devices otherwise its all good, Man I love the state I call home!!