• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Used and sold as new

Hello.. Well I picked up my NIB SPX (Item #85119 JM Pro Series) today only to find a pretty well used shotgun. lots of dings, scratches and obvious use. The stock show signs of being removed and reinstalled as does the shim-pack. I read in one of the JM Pro threads the some have reported their shotgun showed signs of significant use as well. It appears that someone either tested it out and returned it, or it was sent back to Mossberg and repackaged. How common is this on this model.

I contacted the vendor and he assures me he received it as NIB and will call his distributor tomorrow. In any case, he of course won't take it back and I'll have to absorb the loss if I sell it as used. A bad first post, but "what can one do".. Cheers.. Ron

PS: I'll not name names or engage in any bashing, I'm just curious.

Welcome aboard.

Of course I don't have eyes on your 930, but Mossberg shotguns routinely leave the factory absolutely filthy. When my brand new 590A1 arrived it looked like it had been dipped in motor oil and then dusted with carbon fouling. After a thorough cleaning I uncovered a beautiful new 590A1. Doesn't make it any better or excuse the issue, but you're not alone. It is highly unlikely that your 930 was used, sent back to Mossberg, then simply resold as new. Not impossible, but highly unlikely. In any case, there is no reason you should end up stuck with it. We have a contact at Mossberg that may be able to help...

Joe Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

I would get in touch with Joe and let him know your situation. He may be able to shed some light on the issue, track the serial number from manufacture to sale, etc. You might be able to send your 930 in and have any damaged parts replaced. He's a great guy and will do what he can to make sure you're satisfied. Keep us posted...

Hello Ron welcome to the forum from NY.

Sorry to hear about your problem. Like LES said I'm sure Mossberg will get you squared away.

Thank You for the reply, I'll contact Joe. I buy a lot of NIB firearms and I've never seen one like this. The biggest "give away" is the stock shim pack was opened and put in another bag. The stock has been removed and reinstalled as well, by the look of the butt pad. The Mossberg stickers have also been replaced. I don't normally buy used firearms on the Internet and I asked the guy specifically about the condition. In his credit, he did call me within ten minutes and said he bought it as new. So far today, I've had three different people look at the evidence without telling them what I thought and they all thought is was a used/repackage. Please take a look at the photo album below and let me know what you think. This is a first for me in 50 years of buying guns.. I'm perplexed.. Thanks.. Ron

http://s267.photobucket.com/user/Hohopelli/library/Mossberg?sort=3&page=1

PS: I wouldn't feel so bad if I had bought it as used..

Welcome aboard.

Of course I don't have eyes on your 930, but Mossberg shotguns routinely leave the factory absolutely filthy. When my brand new 590A1 arrived it looked like it had been dipped in motor oil and then dusted with carbon fouling. After a thorough cleaning I uncovered a beautiful new 590A1. Doesn't make it any better or excuse the issue, but you're not alone. It is highly unlikely that your 930 was used, sent back to Mossberg, then simply resold as new. Not impossible, but highly unlikely. In any case, there is no reason you should end up stuck with it. We have a contact at Mossberg that may be able to help...

Joe Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

I would get in touch with Joe and let him know your situation. He may be able to shed some light on the issue, track the serial number from manufacture to sale, etc. You might be able to send your 930 in and have any damaged parts replaced. He's a great guy and will do what he can to make sure you're satisfied. Keep us posted...

Hard to tell for sure from the pics, but it's definitely filthy. I'd make those photos available to Joe in your e-mail...

"PS: I'll not name names or engage in any bashing, I'm just curious."
Might seem like a dumb question but did you actually purchase it from a dealer?

"PS: I'll not name names or engage in any bashing, I'm just curious."
Might seem like a dumb question but did you actually purchase it from a dealer?

YES, A brick and mortar business with Internet sales.. All indications are that they are reputable..

The vendor saw the pics and had agreed to take the shotgun back. I ordered a NIB (hopefully) 24" last evening.. Ron

Happy to hear they are making it good for you.
Keep us posted.

Will do.. I wanted a 22", but there's none to be found.. The 24" will do.. The new one is "guaranteed unopened, unhandled, sealed, NIB with the Davidsons lifetime replacement".. ;)

Being a former FFL, I have done business with Davidsons/Gun Gallery in the past. They were overall good to do business with, but I did not like how sometimes they would limit sales of certain guns. I can't recollect exactly what they called it, but I remember that I didn't like it.

Sometimes they'd have a gun in stock, but they'd only sell to certain dealers or other distrubutors who had relatively large sales.

This was not always the case with every item they had in stock, but they would sometimes refuse to sell certain guns to small dealers (usually new releases and high demand items, heck even hipoint carbines [rolleyes])

The vendor saw the pics and had agreed to take the shotgun back. I ordered a NIB (hopefully) 24" last evening.. Ron

Sweet!

I have the 24" JM Pro, model 85118 and it's been an absolute pleasure to shoot. You're gonna love it...

Best of luck....glad to hear they're making it right for you.

Welcome aboard.

Joe Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

WOW... I sent a message to Joe yesterday and I just received a UPS return label from him! I'm majorly impressed with that. That one act has put me back in the Mossberg camp. I'll let the guy I bought it from deal with it as he send me a label this morning as well, but it's very comforting to know that Joe would have taken care of it.. Ron

Yes Sir, that's Joe for ya.

He's a no nonsense kinda guy that takes care of business. Our board founder met him at SHOT show a couple years back and he offered his contact information and to help our members with any issues that came up. He's held true to his word and has taken care of a lot of us. You might shoot him a quick e-mail to let him know the retailer will replace your 930. That way he's not expecting it. Either way, it's great to see your situation is being made right...

I love my JM.

Everyone at the range wants to know what it is when I start opening up.

Sent from my Apple Newton in 1993 with 640k of RAM

I get that a lot too.

Whether it's my 930 Tactical or the JM Pro, folks at the range get real interested once I start shooting. Seems like I spend twenty minutes answering questions for every ten minutes I get to shoot...

Yes, I replied to his email and told him what was happening immediately.. Ya gotta keep a tight loop with people..

Yes Sir, that's Joe for ya.

He's a no nonsense kinda guy that takes care of business. Our board founder met him at SHOT show a couple years back and he offered his contact information and to help our members with any issues that came up. He's held true to his word and has taken care of a lot of us. You might shoot him a quick e-mail to let him know the retailer will replace your 930. That way he's not expecting it. Either way, it's great to see your situation is being made right...

Back