• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Used and sold as new

To comment on the pics of gun1 at the beginning of the thread:
It would appear there are dings and scuffs consistent with the gun being handled. Maybe as a "display" unit or otherwise. The big thing I see is that there is definite "imprinting" of the shell against the bolt surface face (where the firing pin is). It would appear to be many more than just rounds used at the factory for function testing (if they do that). I'm not a firearms forensic analyst, but that would be my educated take on it. At best, the gun was a "refurb" and should have been sold as such...

Well 930 number two came back from Maverick today. I didn't get notice of the shipment the the attempted delivery yesterday failed. They have worked on the safety and it feels much better. It appears to have been ran for function checks again and feels smooth enough I guess. They replaced the buggered sight mount screws with new ones, so that looks better. Nothing was done regarding the existing scratches and in fact they moved the barrel/magtube bracket to a third place so now there's three sets of marks.. &%$^^$$#@. They also didn't return my choke tubes and wrench and I've sent Joe a message asking him to send me a new set. I'll field strip it, clean it up and try to retouch the blemishes again later today. I'll probably try to sell it at a discount on GB, suck up the $200 I'll lose and buy something else. In retrospect, I made three mistakes on this purchase. #1. When the first one came looking like it did and the guy eventually refunded my purchase price (less shipping), I should have quit there. #2. Ordering another one from a different vendor (more expensive with the Davidson guarantee) was the second mistake. #3. Sending it back for repair was my third mistake. I appreciate you guys for your "lending me an ear" and Joe Zacker for trying to help me. Ron

Damn.

If you have the Davidson guarantee, why not have them make it right? Even if they replace it with something else there's no reason you should lose any money...

Damn.

If you have the Davidson guarantee, why not have them make it right? Even if they replace it with something else there's no reason you should lose any money...

I just got off the phone with them and that's my next move. I've never exercised their guarantee, but I'm going to do it. They said to have my LGS send it back to them and they would replace it. At least it'll give me a new starting point. If I get a good one I'll be good to go, if I get another lemon I'll put it on GB as NIB untouched by me. Nothing to lose at this point.

.. Joe sent a message that he would replace the tubes and wrench.. He's a good guy.

Actually, I found the tubes in the end of the box

Last edited:
Yep.. Crap happens.. and with all vendors. I'm sending two uppers back to Palmetto State Armory over QC issues as well..

Well Davidson's took the Mossberg and sent a replacement. I'll pick it up at the LGS tomorrow afternoon. I've decided that the best thing to do would be to evaluate the new one and make a decision to keep or sell without firing. If it doesn't look to suit me I'll pack it up and gunbroker it right away. If it looks good, I'll see how it runs and go from there. I'm also picking up a VEPR-12 tomorrow so I have options. I'll post tomorrow after I see it..

...I'm sending two uppers back to Palmetto State Armory over QC issues as well..

Not trying to go OT too much but could you elaborate on why they were returned? I just ordered an "everything but the lower" kit from them so I'm curious if I need to scrutinize anything... LINK

I did read some unfavorable comments on uppers not similar to the one I ordered... I guess I'll have to wait and see... At $409 after $30 off coupon (now expired) inc. S/H it will make a complete gun out of a lower I've had kicking around...

Not trying to go OT too much but could you elaborate on why they were returned? I just ordered an "everything but the lower" kit from them so I'm curious if I need to scrutinize anything... LINK

I did read some unfavorable comments on uppers not similar to the one I ordered... I guess I'll have to wait and see... At $409 after $30 off coupon (now expired) inc. S/H it will make a complete gun out of a lower I've had kicking around...

I was building a matched pair and they shipped with two different uppers. Nothing wrong with them, they just didn't match. I've built a number of AR's with PSA premium parts and they're GTG... I don't think I would use the PTAC stuff..

Well good news! The Mossberg I picked up today may well be a keeper. Fit and finish is about 95% and the action is smooth. I'm taking it to the range Friday to see how it runs.. Additionally.. the VEPR-12 looks to be a fine shotgun!

WELL I'M SOMEWHAT DAZED! The new 930 ran like a Benelli! I've never handled a shotgun that shot any smoother. The action is so light that I'm afraid to shoot heavy loads in it. It ran Winchester AA low noise, low recoil targets loads, standard bird loads, target/clay loads, low-recoil LE loads.. anything I tried. I ran probably 150 rounds through it and the only hiccup was a sticky magazine follower. The safety feels goos and works fine. I'm terribly impressed at this point.

The VEPR on the other hand is going to take some break-in and possibly heavier loads. It had improved greatly by the end of the day (+150 rounds) but still needs work. The feel and ergonomics are great, but it feels like it needs more gas. We'll see...

That's great!

Good to read some positive news in this thread. Your last post is right in line with my experience shooting my 930s. It's unfortunate you had the issues to start, but we're thrilled to see you ended up with a winner.

As for the VEPR, I know they have a tendancy to be picky eaters. I hope you are able to get it running as smooth as the new 930. We'd love to see some pics. There's a non-Mossberg shotgun thread down in our "Other Weapons" subforum...

Back