• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

UTG New Gen Clamp-on Bipod, Steel Feet

Just ordered one of these from the jungle. Is anybody using a bipod on their MVP series, specifically the Patrol model? If so, what do you say about the swivel mount vs the barrel mount types. I am of the opinion that I don't want the bipod base covering up my grip area, for when I am not shooting with the bipod. But, the last bipod I played with was on an M60 machine gun, and that has been a few years ago.

I want the bipod at the ready, but just not in the way, if that makes sense.

As always, your thoughts will be appreciated.

51wJ8PAUtYL.jpg

I just ordered a UTG from Amazon. I got the one that includes the sling stud adapter and rail. I was skeptical but after installing and shooting with it I'm really quite happy with it.

I have some pics in another thread. I'll find it and link it here.

If you load that bipod like you do a 60, your shots will be all over the place. That type of clamp on bipod will cause the barrel to flex and bend as you put pressure on it. You need a sling stud mounted bipod if you plan on putting any kind of pressure on it.

Returning the UTG clamp-on to amazon, the barrel is too fat. The overall construction, of the bipod, seems to be sound but one leg seemed to be excessively loose while the other was just the opposite. Guess I'll be looking at the Harris.

Harris makes really nice stuff. I hear good things about a Harris clone I think black hawk brand ? If you can find an old B-Square bi pod you might take a look and see if that's something you might like. The B-Square and Harris come from different design philosophies. The B-Square is more streamlined and has more flex than the Harris but it's feathery light. They are both durable.

If you load that bipod like you do a 60, your shots will be all over the place. That type of clamp on bipod will cause the barrel to flex and bend as you put pressure on it. You need a sling stud mounted bipod if you plan on putting any kind of pressure on it.

Whoa! Never thought about that. I have an Atlas clone bipod on my AR, which is pretty nice, but I didn't think it might be deflecting the barrel. I load it up pretty hard too.
Mine is attached to a rail-type foreguard, but that goes right to the barrel fittings.

My performance with that gun has been spotty too. I'm going to do some comparisons just shooting off of bags to see.

BTW, I have a Harris clone by Caldwell, and I wouldn't recommend it. Plastic knobs and thinner stampings make it feel flimsy.

Caldwell on the left, Atlas clone on the right. (I was trying to photo 3 guns at one for some silly reason.)

bipods.jpg

Last edited:
IS that a free float rail on the AR, or a drop in that fits with the delta ring? With a free float rail, deflection is not an issue. I tried a Caldwell bipod at first. It sits in my closet unused now. I have 3 sized of Harris bipods now. Use the 9-13" model the most.

Back