• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

VA announces rollout and application process for new Veterans ID Card

Pawpaw

.30-06
Supporter
For anyone who served honorably, but does not have a retired ID card, this will prove your veteran status to get discounts from various places. Much easier than carrying your DD-214.

https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/43...out-application-process-new-veterans-id-card/

VA has announced that the application process for the national Veterans Identification Card (VIC) is now available for Veterans — yet another action honoring their service.

This has been mandated through legislation since 2015 to honor Veterans, and today’s rollout of the ID card fulfills that overdue promise.

I don't understand . . . how did the military retire people and not give them their ID card?

I don't understand . . . how did the military retire people and not give them their ID card?

Not everyone who served did the full 20 years or were medically retired. This is for those people who served but DIDN'T retire.

Oh I see. I am confusing "discharge" with "retire".

So if you serve one hitch and you are discharged, all you get is a DD-214?

Right!

Heck, I knew a guy that decided to get out after 16 years. All he got was a DD-214.

Actually, at least when I was in, we got a DD-214 every time we reenlisted. Only the last one means very much. It has the info from all the previous ones.

I didn't look at my dad's DD-214 until I ordered his bronze GI plaque. I can't remember what it says now but they had a tough time figuring out that he was in the Army Air corps after WW2, in between the Navy and the Air Force.

They still goofed it up, and his plaque says that he served in Korea, but he was actually out over the ocean, and never in country. I guess their records Center burned down & they lost a lot of stuff. He was originally headed to Korea but he scored so high on his tests that they put him in some secret intelligence School for radar and computer guys. That part doesn't show up on his records.

(Edit... Actually it was called BUIC school and it was not really top secret. They mention it in the Air station newsletter.)

It is my understanding this card is only for those who do NOT qualify for a retired military ID card, and/or not enrolled in VA health care.
I am enrolled in VA health care, and already have a card.

Do the retailers you use accept your VA card as proof of service? I agree they should, but you never know.

Of course, AFAIK there's nothing that says they have to accept this card either.

There are a few folks here who ask me if I am a veteran. It's probably the GI Joe haircut.

There are many who give a discount though not the majority.

We have a big VA hospital and Fresno Air National Guard base (FANG) has a good sized company here at Fresno-Yosemite Intl. airport, (FYI) so you see young GIs here in Clovis all the time.

And there are a lot of old ones in Fresno.

I got a discount last week with it, but there aren't many business's that give veteran discounts.

Oklahoma marks your drivers license if you served and were honorably discharged. They use an American flag to signify your service. I use it at Lowe's everytime I go there.

Dollar General is one place that at least during Veterarns Day week they openly ask everyone and take your word if you served our country.

The va.gov site is so overloaded for this card that I had to give my email address and they will notify me later if I am still interested.

I didn't look at my dad's DD-214 until I ordered his bronze GI plaque. I can't remember what it says now but they had a tough time figuring out that he was in the Army Air corps after WW2, in between the Navy and the Air Force.

They still goofed it up, and his plaque says that he served in Korea, but he was actually out over the ocean, and never in country. I guess their records Center burned down & they lost a lot of stuff. He was originally headed to Korea but he scored so high on his tests that they put him in some secret intelligence School for radar and computer guys. That part doesn't show up on his records.

(Edit... Actually it was called BUIC school and it was not really top secret. They mention it in the Air station newsletter.)

The Army Air Corp was the predecessor to the Air Force (which became it's own service in '47). It was argued successfully that the Army didn't need fixed wing aircraft and that the Army Generals didn't have a clear understanding of how to use said aircraft in times of war.

As for your Dad not actually being "in" Korea, that is not a a requirement to receive credit for the campaign. Tens of thousands of Sailors are Vietnam veterans but never set foot on land. They participated in it just as your Dad in the Korean war. He earned that recognition.

But the big thing I found out is that without Dad's DD-214 I would have been in trouble getting recognition for any of it, because the storage facility had burned down and the old records have been lost.

I had his congressional commendation and his military ID cards going back to 1945, but without that DD-214 they wouldn't talk to me. luckily I found it tucked into his paperwork.

VA Suspends Applications for New ID Cards

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/12/05/va-suspends-applications-new-id-cards.html

The Department of Veterans Affairs has suspended applications for its new veteran identification card program due to a large number of applicants, according to a notice on its website.

The new, free ID card was ordered by Congress in 2015 as a way to give veterans proof of service at businesses without carrying a copy of their DD-214 forms. The VA a week ago rolled out the online application for the card for all honorably discharged veterans, but the system appeared to immediately face technical problems.

Well they had the same IT guys that ran the Obamacare website you know....

Back