• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Vang Comp, Mossberg

Really interesting results Oli. I keep a 100' measuring tape in my pack.

I've seen similar results to what you posted, as well as having seen tighter patterns than what I got.

Yet another example of why I so strongly advocate knowing your gun and chosen load.

9 inches at 25 yards, that's not bad. Rule of thumb, from an unmodified barrel, is about one inch spread for every yard, or 25" at 25 yards. We try to get 10"-12" at 25 yards. The last of our 590s I actually put on paper, put two rounds of Remington Low Recoil 8 Pellet 00 Buckshot into a 4" group at 15 yards. 16 pellets I could cover with my fist. YIKES!!

We were playing with an Aimpoint on an 870 Friday, putting some slugs on paper at 50 yards. One group had three rounds in one enlongated hole. A flyer opened the group to four inches. Several times, the wad would hit the target, or the stand, well after the slug hit. (Federal 1600 fps 1oz trueball slugs)

Wow, impressive results there! I've got a bunch of different ammo ready to go, and it looks like our big range day is coming up soon to really put it to the test! We'll do patterns, try to get a couple groups, and we're gonna have some fun and push the range out on some clays!

I dont have pics but today I went out and shot. I used the last two FC shells I will ever buy. They did great and I got pellets on a 12 inch gong at 40 yards....they rang the steel good, probably 3 or 4 pellets hit it.Thing is my reloads do it too. At this point I am just going with the reloads. I am on to a couple good cuts on the wad similar to FC performance but not quite as tight.More pics to come when I get to where I want to be.Loving the barrel, took forever to clean today lol.

Gumby, have you looked at my reload thread ? Its looking good for my own loads with my home made 00 Buck.

The barrel rocks ! check it out, 10 pellets in 3 1/2 inces at 10 yards viewtopic.php?f=103&t=1958

I am getting a slug mold soon, I rocked a bunch of slugs today , felt like I couldn't miss. Hitting beer cans at 25 yards at will....Kim was pissed ....those were her targets :lol:

We finally got good pics and video today!

I patterned the Federal FC (LE132) at about 4 to 5 inches at 25 yards! The surprise load of the day was the Winchester Ranger 9 pellet 00 low recoil! Not as good as the FC but better than the Hornady TAP!!! Far more impressive than off the shelf Winchester Super X 00 full power!

What youll see on video I specifically wanted to get was the muzzle climb or lift, which was virtually non existent!

We fired 00 buck low recoil and full power, Remington and Winchester #4 buck full power (which I hated!), Remington SP steel BB duplex (kicked like a mule), and Federal Top Gun, Winchester Super Target and AA 7 1/2 shot!

The target loads each patterned about two feet at 25 yards. Not bad given the 20" cylinder bore barrel with VCS, less muzzle climb = on target and easy follow up shots!!!

I have 20 individual videos to cut and edit, + another 80 pics or so, but its all coming soon!!!

you are patterning the FC at half what I did....wierd.,,, what are you getting at ten ?

At 10 yards the FC is little more than a hole, almost not enough to call a pattern.

I did notice a couple flyers while reviewing my video and pics last night that I didnt catch at the time.

+1, I am taking a week off work for the new pup but if I get time I'll get some slug targets on here. Still need to test loads, and I really dont want to shoot around him yet

Real good videos and data guys...looks like I'll be VCS'ing my 590a1 when I get her...that's for sure !!

Good post...

I'm editing more video tonight! I'll try to at least get a couple pics up!

Shooter, Youll like the VCS, its been great and I was finally able to see for myself, what I'll be showing everyone here with the video, is the reduced recoil and muzzle climb!

Patterns are great, and loads that have conventionally patterned really open and wide, are now acceptable! The VCS has made it the rule! Target and heavy game loads are for me forming a nice consistent pattern too!

Heres one of the videos, doing some moving and shooting! The reduction in muzzle climb makes follow up easy! Though I botched my first reload. I started with 7 rounds and 9 targets, that left me 2 rounds shy and I took my firing hand off the trigger to reload... Trying to add a little stress to our shoots! :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOIXT2gAoG8[/youtube]

Here is another video! I put this one together to specifically highlight the muzzle climb and recoil, which has been almost non existent!

I could talk more, but I wont!!! :D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1G77SEbD3w[/youtube]

Keep watchin, there'll be more yet!

sweet. I know you have a lot of clips but next time your out a rapid fire would be sweet. 1 round is easy to manage....9 in a row , fast on target would show case the porting.

Yeah, I could do that with some full power 00 buck and also full power target loads!

Pretty freakin' cool.

Great video!! I knew the recoil and muzzle climb were a lot less, but not how dramatically less.

Your right, and being behind the trigger its difficult to gauge, but really noticable when youre able to observe it!

A couple of the loads I had in there were full power, they werent all low recoil!

Back