• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Vang Comp, Mossberg

Been meanin to get to this! I have pics and video, but havin trouble with the video, just bein weird...

Here on the Federal LE132, the pattern is about 4 1/2" x 4 1/2" @ 15 yards. Most HD/Sd ranges arent gonna be this far, but I like to know how far out my buck shot can produce an acceptable pattern. I have some 25 yard stuff too I'll get on here!

Now the next one. The Hornady TAP LE 8 pellet, also low recoil. I was surprised, but not the way I expected to be. I have the pic labled as having 5 pelletes going through one hole. I dont know that this is accurate, but I saw no other holes from pellets on or around the target. Now, what I expected was for the pattern to be tighter. The VersaTite wad is said to be the same as the Federal FC, which is pictured above. Clearly these two loads perform differently. There may very well be 5 pellets in one hole, which is awesome! But that means there are 3 stray pellets.

I have more comin up, Next will be the two Winchester loads. The first is the Winchester Super X 9 pellet full power followed by Winchester Ranger 9 pellet low recoil. I was really surprised in a good way with the Win Ranger load! I really thought it would be more like the Super X, but not so! It patterned rather well, not as well as Federal FC low recoil, but quite a bit better than expected!

Anyhow, those will hopefully be up tomorrow? I dunno...

Attachments

• Vang_15-yds_FedLE_numbered00.JPG
    Vang_15-yds_FedLE_numbered00.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 541
  • Vang_15-yds_HornadyTAP_numbered.JPG
    Vang_15-yds_HornadyTAP_numbered.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 541
nice, the shortest I go is 10 yards. I am loving the VCS more everytime I shoot !

Oli, I'm really diggin it too!!!

Here are my Winchester pics!

This first one is Winchester Super X 9 pellet. No surprises, it isnt the best patterning load. I believe once you get down to closer ranges, 5 to 7 yards, its gonna do what it needs to, but this isnt a load I would push with any confidence. Not in any sort of situation where I need to account for every pellet. You'll notice in the pic I have only 8 pellets marked. Thats cuz I couldnt find the last one...

Next up, Winchester Ranger! I really expected this to be a low recoil version of the Super X, but this is way better! I dont know if the Ranger load uses the same cardbaord-ish gas seal, or the same saucer of a shot cup... Whatever the case, these loads surprised me! I like them! All 9 pellets accounted for on paper and more or less on target with just a couple of strays, but these would be an excellent choice for HD/SD! I would be comfortable with these for sure! Let me add parenthetically, I would really like to compare these now to the Winchester "WinLite" buckshot!

Attachments

• Vang_15-yards_Win_numbered-1 (Small).JPG
    Vang_15-yards_Win_numbered-1 (Small).JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 526
  • Vang_15-yards_Win_Ran_numbered-1 (Small).JPG
    Vang_15-yards_Win_Ran_numbered-1 (Small).JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 526
Beautiful 15 yard pattern….see there is life after flight control…..keep up the good work. The first one looks like Rio in the before time...pre VCS.

Thanks Oli!

Its hard to even call the Winchester Super X a "pattern" as much as it is a bunch of strays... The Ranger though, in this case, patterned better than the Hornady TAP LE which has long been a close second favorite to the Fed FC LE132.

I have a pattern of the Remington duplex BB steel shot too. As you can imagine, its a much larger pattern but seems to evenly cover the paper and just a little beyond at 15 yards.

I'll put it up for the heck of it before I do the 25 yard stuff...

Heres that Remington steel BB load. I dont have anything to compare it nor any expectation of whatthe pattern should look like. Just this pattern here, I have otherwise not ever used a BB load nor have I ever used steel shot of any kind. I was slightly right of center, but the pattern doesnt go much further to the right.

Oh! I'll also mention these things kick like a frickin a mule!

Attachments

• Vang_15-yards_Rem_BB_numbered (Small).JPG
    Vang_15-yards_Rem_BB_numbered (Small).JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 511
Alrighty, some of my 25 yard targets!

My favorite? Well the Fed FC LE132 of course! :D Decent pattern even at 25 yards, like 5" x 7". I can push this farther out yet!

Now the Hornady... What can I say here? Not impressed. There are only just a few pellets on my target, and I didnt waste time looking off paper for strays.

And finally here, the Winchester Ranger! I like it! Not as nice as the Fed FC, but not altogether bad! (I didnt bother trying the Winchester Super X at 25 yards) This stuff isnt bad at all and I'd recommend it to anyone to try for your self! Oh yeah, still missing a couple pellets, but at closer ranges, it isnt a bad load, not something for 25 yards though, not for me any way...

Thats it for now, till I have the video done!

Attachments

• Vang_25-yards_FedLE_numbered (Small).JPG
    Vang_25-yards_FedLE_numbered (Small).JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 510
  • Vang_25-yards_HornadyTAP_numbered (Small).JPG
    Vang_25-yards_HornadyTAP_numbered (Small).JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 509
  • Vang_25-yards_Win_Ran_numbered (Small).JPG
    Vang_25-yards_Win_Ran_numbered (Small).JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 509
wooo, your barrel loves FlightControl wads. That is one mean pattern at 25 yards. Very impressive for a cylinder bore.

Yeah it does Oli! Maybe Federal Premium should start paying me with FC loads...

I agree! :D

Oh, another point on this particular combination of the VCS barrel and FC, you can see in the pic the hole from the FC low center on the target. The FliteControl wad is even on target at 25 yards! The fact that it made it 25 yards from the muzzle is fairly impressive!

that wad is so big, thick and heavy that it would probably kill a man all by its self lol, That wad is why the pellets only measure .31 caliber, so they will fit in the wad that takes up a ton of room in the hull....for some reason people get offended when you sat FC and .31 or 0 buck but it’s true , I’ve measured them.....still lethal so I don’t know what the big deal is.

True dat Oli!

You notice the hole in the target is just about an inch round? Not a sideways tear in the paper, it was still flyin straight!

I'm gonna shoot some magnum and light magnum loads pretty soon too to see what those look like. I may redo the Hornady VersaTite at 25 yards too just cuz the paper was reasonably unharmed.

I'm plannin on next weekend and I need to do more slug shootin too!

We were shooting some of the Federal Tru Ball 1oz, 1600 fps slugs at 50 yards not long ago. We'd hear the slug hit the target, and a hole would appear. Then hear the wad hit and the target woud rock from the wad. The wad was hitting hard enough to leave marks on the cardboard.

Good seein you on! :D

I havent tried the full power TruBall yet... But the wad was hitting the target too at 50 yards!!!? Dang!

I am going to send you some 1690's in Remington hulls and some of my low recoils in AA hulls when we do the exchange

oli700 said:
I am going to send you some 1690's in Remington hulls and some of my low recoils in AA hulls when we do the exchange

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I need to get those to you ASAP!!! I may just go in the woods and spend the $13 worth of AA's on air targets!

The Tru Ball is wild, sometimes there are three holes in a target, slug, wad & the ball. We actually found a ball imbedded in one of the furring strip target boards.

Holy smokes man! I havent seen this with the low recoil TruBall...

We test shot some Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buckshot last week, 1600 FPS 00 Buckshot. YIKES!!!
We're doing some before & after stuff with it. We'll post some pics after we do the barrels.

Back