• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

VERSACARRY for my Glock 23 Opinion so far

Greetings all.

I recently bought the VERSACARRY concealment holster for my Glock 23.

www.versacarry.com

Being a very thin individual I was trying to find something to carry the Glock 23 with on these hot south central Texas summer days that was a thin as possible. An untucked tshirt over shorts is my typical day to day attire right now and so far this minimalist holster approach is proving to be just about perfect. I've been carrying it around the house the past few days to see if its going to be an effective system for me. So far so good.

Pros.

Inexpensive at 25 dollars. (Purchased mine at Academy)

Many different models to cover a wide variety of small to full sized popular handguns.

Zero bulk just like they claim. Rides very close to my skinny body and doesn't print with a untucked tshirt.

Allows for the use of a weapon light or laser on the dust cover rail. I'm sitting with it as I type with my TLR1 attached inside the waistband. It's not too uncomfortable actually although I could see a TLR3 or other smaller sized light being more appropiate. I like the idea of a weapon light being available if possible.

Easy to draw the firearm. Even with the light attached I'm finding it just as easy to draw as without.

Seems well constructed and should be durable for a very long time of usage.

Made in the USA within the great state of Texas.

Cons.

You must remove the clip, reattach the firearm and then reinsert into the waistband after drawing your gun. For some that might be a negative to just being able to reholster afterwards.

The company recommends against utilizing the product with a chambered round. I'm sure that is lawyer speak, CYA talk etc. On firearms modified with an extremely light trigger pull or a single action types where the safety might be left off I can see the recipe for potential disaster with a trigger not being covered on the body side.

With a typical double action only or striker fired trigger pull on a firearm I think you would be ok. My opinion. YMMV as usual. I've been wearing it around the house with a chambered snap cap. So far I've yet to trip the trigger on mine. BTW mine is a stock Glock 23 trigger. I'd prefer to have any self defense firearm chambered and ready to go so I'll take my chances when I start carrying it with live ammo. For some folks just the fact that they recommend an empty chamber no matter what might be a turn off and that's ok. Each to his or her own. Remember that safe firearm handling practices are always a must no matter what.

Final thoughts.

Other than that I think its good to go. They do have mag carriers and a bedside system where you can remove the clip from your waistband at the end of the day to a bedside attachment point. I really like that concept and will probably acquire it as well in the near future.

If after some extensive use I change my position I'll report back. I don't see it will though. For now I'm saying go for it if your ever considering one of these. Its not much money to try one out.

Good luck if you do.
Jeremy

Last edited:
Good write up. I saw this at a gun shop a while back and opted not to try it only due to the lack of trigger guard. I prefer to carry with the chamber loaded.

I like the bedside holder.

Let us know how it works out over time.

I've been considering adding the NY1 8 lb trigger spring to my G23. Carrying it with the Versacarry and a heavier trigger pull would be alot safer. After reading alot of opinions on the matter there are a ton of folks in the I'd not carry my stock 5 lb Glock camp with that thing. While I've not tripped the trigger yet on a snap cap I'd sure hate to start carrying it with live ammo and wind up with a 165 grain slug down my femur. :(

It does concern me that you have to worry about that with your holster.

I carry mine in either a gould and goodrich Yaqui holster or a galco stow and go. I have never had to wonder if it would go off on me.

When I was shopping for a new concealed carry holster back at the first of the year I looked at versacarry but that was my biggest concern. The completely open trigger scared the crap out of me so I wound up going with a hybrid holster.

Back