• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Vortex Strikefire Bright Red Dot Sight

oli700

12g
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Got this in today so I can give my buddy his back to him.

I really liked using his on the AR so I changed up my idea of irons only. Can’t get an Aimpoint right now especially just after building the rifle…I love my wife for not giving me a hard time …..It’s almost over babe, just BUIS and a Hogue grip and I am done I swear!.....

I used the borrowed red dot to get mine in the ball park, should save me a couple rounds next week dialing it in.

It comes with a mount, tool, micro cloth and a X2 magnifier that screws into the back of the sight.

One thing I noticed about the Primary Arms M4 I was using is that on a super bright day the dot is barely sufficient, on a snowy or desert background the dot will be washed out.

Vortex has a red/green model and a red only. The red/green is not as bright and is likened to the strength of the PA dot

This one is the red dot only model, called “Bright Red" , and it is a good bit brighter, best part today is super bright and sunny and the dot is plenty bright up against a white garage across the street.

One thing I read is that the power button hangs out there and is easy to turn on. Well it does and it is. I will be as conscious as I can…..it does have a off feature after a few hours.
Also the rubber boot over the buttons seems soft, we’ll see.

I’ll report on it after a while, but it seems high quality and a little better attention to detail than the Primary Arms which is good because I really think PA is a good product.
IMG_1455_zps59c3b8d0.jpg

With the Primary Arms Cantilever Mount
IMG_1458_zps5b3ef5e9.jpg

Dim/Bright controls and a Night vision compatible button
IMG_1473_zpsd8ebdab3.jpg

IMG_1462_zpsb8034bbc.jpg

IMG_1463_zpsf86a7e2e.jpg

IMG_1468_zps62cba3b8.jpg

Looks good brother.

Glad the dot is bright enough in direct sunlight. I have noticed that most red dot sights use one of two different brightness settings.

Either 1 to 7 brightness or 1 to 11 brightness.

I won't buy anything less than the 1 to 11 brightness now that I know there is a BIG difference in optics that washout in bright light. The 1 to 7's just don't cut it. I tried a cheap BSA 4 reticle red dot that had a 1 to 7 brightness setting and it was totally useless unless you were shooting indoors or late evening/early morning or at night.

Example:
http://bushnell.com/hunting/rifle-scopes/trophy-red-dot 11 brightness settings

Nice pick up Oli. I have looked into buying one of those and it gets really good reviews. The 2x doubler was a selling point to me but a lot seemed to shrug it off. If you would, please let me know if the doubler is useful or not.

Enjoy it and now you have another reason to get out some more with the new musket.

Nice oli!

I've had one of those in-hand before and it felt very solid. Glad to see you're liking it...

carbinemike said:
The 2x doubler was a selling point to me but a lot seemed to shrug it off. If you would, please let me know if the doubler is useful or not.
It’s interesting, I will give it a try for sure. It works good actually, just a smaller sight picture, but it’s not too bad really. I think 3x would a little cooler because double is barely worth it.....but I'll try a group with it and a group without and let you know if one is better.

John A. said:
Looks good brother.

thanks.....looks like I'm still using you tools....but I got the FRB from the post office today :D thanks again, they will be in the mail Monday :cool:

Good review, Oli. I have the Vortex Sparc on mine. Needed a budget red dot for 3 gun and this works quite well. Came with a doubler but I haven't used it yet since I was shooting Tactical Irons with the Sparc (no magnification class).

Roger on the power button 'cept on the Sparc there is no auto off. Not real fond of the covers...too soft and cups not deep enough. They roll off pretty easily...

It can be set so you can use iron sights while viewing thru the Sparc but I got a set of offset mounts and mounted them 45 degs on the left...

So far I like it a lot but will be looking to upgrade to a magnified scope and move the Sparc to my 930.

oli700 said:
thanks.....looks like I'm still using you tools....but I got the FRB from the post office today :D thanks again, they will be in the mail Monday :cool:

No hurry, and no worry

OhioArcher said:
Good review, Oli. I have the Vortex Sparc on mine. Needed a budget red dot for 3 gun and this works quite well. Came with a doubler but I haven't used it yet since I was shooting Tactical Irons with the Sparc (no magnification class).

Roger on the power button 'cept on the Sparc there is no auto off. Not real fond of the covers...too soft and cups not deep enough. They roll off pretty easily...

It can be set so you can use iron sights while viewing thru the Sparc but I got a set of offset mounts and mounted them 45 degs on the left...

So far I like it a lot but will be looking to upgrade to a magnified scope and move the Sparc to my 930.
I was so close to a SPARC….The covers on the Strkefire are IMO sweet.
It was one if the biggest bitches about the sight from reviews….”covers are too hard to close”…..really ? I would much rather a positive seal than covers that flip open all the time

While the doubler is a cool addition I don’t see using it in a run and gun situation like you are doing…..seems like it would be fine if you were holed up or something…...and still it’s a little worse than looking through a remfire scope….it’s like a 15mm tube

If I get some good OT this season I’ll pick up a magnifier on a swing mount for the fun of it….but honestly when I was using the dot at 200 yards and tearing up 1’x1’ steel I was happy….too much beyond that and I would probably rather grab the -06. Although a little while back we were shooting at the same targets with scoped rifles and it was tougher hitting those steels off hand than it was with the AR….in fact it was easy with the AR compared to the scoped bolt guns…..benched of course the scoped rifles rule the roost that far out and beyond as far as precission.

Back