• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 ffp EBR-1 moa scope review

bellofello

.270 WIN
She finally came in from a very long backorder due to the factory being hit by a tsunami. So needless to say, I was PUMPED to get this thing on my remington 700.

First impressions:
-Pretty!
-Awesome reticle
-VERY nice feeling clicks and controls.
-Eye relief is GENEROUS, enough for any caliber. Also does not change much between magnification settings.

First impressions were, well, impressive

My mounting solution:
-Badger 20 MOA rail
-Burris XTR low 30mm rings

Fit and finish:
The finish is perfect, I thought it was going to have a slight blueish grey tinge to it from Vortex stock photos.
It is a nice, non reflective black finish.
The fit of the scope is nice, everything works the way it is supposed to, all of the markings are nice a sharp. The packaging it came in was very good, sturdy, laser engraved vortex foam! fancy. The bikini scope covers included do their job. The owners manuals are clear and easy to follow.
viprpst13.jpg

Glass:
I find the clarity and quality of picture to be superb, weather it's at 6x or 24x, the picture is very clear, way better than any other scope I have ever owned. That being said, this is my first "high dollar" scope. It may not be as good as a NF or a S&B or something like that, but I have never looked through super gucci optics to compare to.

Reticle: EBR-1 MOA
Thick enough at 6x to be seen easily, thin enough to be accurate at 24x. The subtensions are bang on accurate as well, as they should be.

I so wish that I had a better camera and a steady way to take a picture of this. I took a few anyways to show it anyways, so keep in mind, the glass IS much sharper and clearer than these photos

6x @380 yards:
viprpst6x.jpg

24x @380yds:
viprpst24x.jpg

*Note*This is my friends ice hut who was with my to verify it was EMPTY, and the bolt was removed while taking these pictures!

Illumination:
It makes me smile every time I light that beauty reticle up. Perfect, not too much, but enough. Knob has off positions in between brightness settings. It is hard to see during the day, when you don't really need it. For some reason settings 4 and 5, do not work. It will be going back for warranty because of this, and this only.

If the price tag was less, I would not care at all about this, because unless you are using night vision, these settings probably wouldn't even be used. So I have contemplated just keeping it, but I can't justify spending over $1,000 for a scope that isn't perfect.

Sorry for the blurry pictures, I am NO pro haha
6x:
52906362.jpg

12x:
12xgk.jpg

24x:
24xh.jpg

Turrets/Clicks/Adjustments:

Clicks are very very nice feeling. Enough resistance to be not accidentally moved. They are quiet, affermative, and very sharp feeling.
viprpst10.jpg

The turrets are clearly marked (elevation has fiber optic strip to indicate zero) There is 12 MOA of adjustment per revolution.
viprpst11.jpg

Adjustments are bang on, and repeatable. The zero stop is easy and works well. The zoom and focus adjustments are tight enough to be precise, but not too tight. Just perfect
viprpst5.jpg

viprpst9.jpg

And here are some more photos from various angles

viprpst6.jpg

viprpst2.jpg

viprpst.jpg

Tight clearance between the KRG bolt knob and the ocular eyepiece!
viprpst16.jpg

All in all, I feel like my money was well spent, vortex as a company has a very good reputation, and offer an excellent lifetime transferable warranty. I would reccomend this product to ANYBODY looking for an "entry level" high quality scope.

Any questions that anybody has, feel free to ask, and I will try to answer to the best of my abillity.
:cheers:

Great lookin glass!

Thanks for the review bellofello. Be sure to let us know how she prints on target...

She prints pretty well on target.
A few 5 round group from my latest batch of load development.

Also, if you want to move this to product review? I forgot about that section when I was posting last night. Wayyy too tired haha.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330785814.225176.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330785814.225176.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 467
Dang! Nice write up and review, great pics as well!!! I'm always impressed when folks get into doin the reviews like this and I always appreciate what goes in to it all, you done nicely!

The scope looks great, and I like the low profile with those rings! The illuminated reticle is SWEET!

How many yards are those 5 round groups?

Very nicely done review... and shooting too! ;)

Thanks Ross! I did it for those debating on glass. Wondering if spending the extra coin for FFP is worth it. It totally is!

Yea it's the first scope that I've actually done the math to get it as low as possible to the barrel. It makes a world of a difference getting a proper cheek weld with my stock.

Those groups were at 100 yards.

I'm going to get out shooting today, see if I can print some groups at 200 & 300 yards. Set my 12" gong up at 800-1000 and see what she'll do!

Well, didn't get out to the spot I was referring to earlier. Just out to the local range. 97 yards :(

But got a thorough zero though :)

First group (3rnds) the squares are just short of an inch
4c445b10-fce4-bca4.jpg

Second 3 rounder
4c445b10-fd2f-9767.jpg

3rd group 5 rounds
4c445b10-fd6d-f998.jpg

4th group 5 rounder
4c445b10-fdab-0fcf.jpg

5th group 5 rnds
4c445b10-fdeb-9b42.jpg

Last group 3 rounds
4c445b10-fe7a-80ef.jpg

Not too bad!

I could do without the odd flyer, but I'll take it all factors considering.

The benches at the range are super awkward, I can never find a comfy position. Can't go prone there.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Nice shoot'n!

What's your cadence? How much time do you take between shots?
What do you mean by cadence?

It depends, I'll usually shoot 3-5 in a row, with enough time between each shot to take a breath and get back on target, then feel the barrel for heat. If it's pretty warm, I'll wait a few minutes. If it's okay, I'll shoot off another string.

I try to take more time in between shots when shooting groups, but I get bored and anxious if I don't have something else to shoot. (like today)

bellofello said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Nice shoot'n!

What's your cadence? How much time do you take between shots?
What do you mean by cadence?

It depends, I'll usually shoot 3-5 in a row, with enough time between each shot to take a breath and get back on target, then feel the barrel for heat. If it's pretty warm, I'll wait a few minutes. If it's okay, I'll shoot off another string.

I try to take more time in between shots when shooting groups, but I get bored and anxious if I don't have something else to shoot. (like today)

There are a couple schools of thought on shooting cadence as it relates to barrel thermodynamics. Some prefer to fire a quick string of shots before the barrel has a chance to heat up, while others prefer to fire a single shot and wait several minutes (5-10) before firing again. Both theories show proven results, but it's hard to call one "better" than the other. Either way your shooting "cadence", or rhythm, will have a great deal to do with your shot placement on target.

Ahh I see. Well so far I haven't put much thought in to that. I'll have to try a few things out next range day.

Just remeasured the groups from sunday, that 0.2" 3 shot group, is 0.419"

All the rest are correct, I must have been off in la la land when I measured that one...

Back