• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Walnut Finish on New Patriots - I need some encouragement.

I have a .270 Patriot with the walnut stock and Vortex scope on order, since everyone locally has been out since Christmas. I'm hoping it'll be in by Friday and I'm anxious to get it out to the range. I'm a little nervous about it though. The walnut stocks on the Patriots I've seen until recently, have looked amazing. Our local Academy Sports only has one in walnut, chambered in .243 and the wood is very dark. It also has a double "X" or honey comb style butt pad. The fact that the buttpad is different, suggests a change to the model and I'm okay with that, but I really don't like the darker wood. Enough so, that it won't even be taken out of the box and will be put up for sale immediately. I'm not a hunter, but I do enjoy firearms of various types, but mostly handguns. For me, looks are as important as function. I need some words of encouragement. Has anyone else seen this dark finish of late?

I took the Patriot out for the first time on Friday. I went through a box of Remington Core-Lokt. I only had about an hour to shoot and I know that's rushing things with a new rifle. I didn't have time to fine tune the scope. It was shooting about 2 inches high and about 1/2 inch left, with 1-1/4 to 2" groups, with a couple of fliers at 100 yards. I'm not THAT good, so I have to give all the credit to the rifle. Honestly, it's not likely that I'll shoot beyond 100 yards very often. As I said before, I'm more of a handgun guy and most of my rifle shooting will probably be between 25 and 100 yards. The Vortex scope is sharp and bright throughout the range. When I have more time, I'll take it and another rifle I have to see if I can zero them both at 100 yards.

I have a .270 Patriot with the walnut stock and Vortex scope on order, since everyone locally has been out since Christmas. I'm hoping it'll be in by Friday and I'm anxious to get it out to the range. I'm a little nervous about it though. The walnut stocks on the Patriots I've seen until recently, have looked amazing. Our local Academy Sports only has one in walnut, chambered in .243 and the wood is very dark. It also has a double "X" or honey comb style butt pad. The fact that the buttpad is different, suggests a change to the model and I'm okay with that, but I really don't like the darker wood. Enough so, that it won't even be taken out of the box and will be put up for sale immediately. I'm not a hunter, but I do enjoy firearms of various types, but mostly handguns. For me, looks are as important as function. I need some words of encouragement. Has anyone else seen this dark finish of late?

Nothing wrong with wanting a rifle that you like the look of. I am pretty much that way myself but strangely, I don't think I really was aware of it until after reading your posto_O
Come to think of it I have a half refinished stock in the safe to prove it:oops:
Being in a hurry to try out a new rifle (post #5), is perfectly understandable:) and in taking two next time, one can cool while you put a few through the other:D

I noticed a few pics out there of the vented recoil pad recently. Seems like there are some out there like that. maybe they had a shortage of the regular ones? Mine is the plain pad as pictured on the website (I have a Walnut 30-06). I like the solid pad much better than the vented. Glad you got what you hoped for.

Back