• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

War on coal casualties

Tuesday cannot come fast enough. If he's re-elected, we're screwed.

http://harlandaily.com/bookmark/20662742

40 miners lose jobs at Cumberland Mine
The Harlan Daily Enterprise
22 hrs ago | 1869 views | 0 | 7 | |
Nola Sizemore
Staff Writer

Alpha Natural Resources (ANR) said Tuesday the Still House Branch Mine at Cumberland will close leaving 40 miners without jobs and 40 additional miners being reassigned to other company mines located nearby.

“We have 12 or 13 more people left at the mine doing clean-up work,” said ANR Manager of External Communications Rick Nida. “The closing of this mine was all part of what we announced in September reporting we would be closing some of our mines. This is just part of that.”

Nida said the 40 miners reassigned will be working at Alpha’s Cloverlick Mines #1 and #3 and Northfork #5 and #6. He said the Cloverlick mines are located in Harlan County and the Northfork mines are located in nearby Letcher County.

Alpha has already closed mining operations in West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky and Pennsylvania.
When asked if there are plans to close more of their Harlan County mining operations, Nida said there are “no announcements at this time.”

“We’ll make announcements as we need to,” said Nida. “This all depends upon the market conditions. As everyone probably knows the thermal coal market has been reduced because of the number of coal-fired plants closed or announced that they will be closing. There’s competition with natural gas — with gas prices being so low — and there’s regulations that make it harder to mine. All of those issues kind of clash to make it to a point where we have to rationalize these higher cost thermal coal mines.”

Calling it “a difficult time” to take this type of action, Nida said the shutdowns and layoffs are a necessary part of ensuring Alpha survives in what has become a difficult U.S. market.
“It’s always difficult, but we have to be sure we’ve got a market for our products,” said Nida. “Right now, it’s a real difficult market place.”

Alpha is the nation’s largest supplier of metallurgical coal used in the steel-making process and a major supplier of thermal coal to electric utilities and manufacturing industries

In June 2011, Alpha acquired Massey Energy Company to become America’s third-largest coal company and the fifth-largest coal producer in the world. With the new acquisition, Alpha assets included more than 150 mines, 40 coal preparation facilities and one of the world’s largest and highest-quality metallurgical coal reserve bases.

“This year, utilities in the U.S. are expected to burn the least amount of steam coal than at any time in the last 20 years, and the pressure’s been very intense on coal sourced from eastern Kentucky, particularly operations rendered uncompetitive due to fuel switching, relatively high rail rates and competition from Illinois Basin coal,” said Kevin Crutchfield, Alpha’s chairman and CEO. “Layoffs are an unfortunate last resort, and it’s tough for miners that want to work but are unable to because of factors beyond their control and the company’s control.”

Read more: The Harlan Daily Enterprise - Alpha to cut production

Read more: The Harlan Daily Enterprise

http://www.harlandaily.com/view/full_st ... thout-work

Alpha closes Coalgood Energy; 25 without work
The Harlan Daily Enterprise
20 days ago | 3086 views | 0 | 8 | |
Nola Sizemore
Staff Writer

Coalgood Energy Coal Company has officially closed, leaving approximately 25 more people unemployed.

Alpha Natural Resources Manager of External Operations Rick Nida said the closing was due primarily to market conditions for thermal coal in the United States.

“The property is in reclamation right now and they are about to finish up,” said Nida. “The property is being returned to its approximate original condition or for whatever use the permit said the final use would be after the mine has been completed and reclaimed. You have to return the land for that use.”

Alpha Natural Resources also owns Black Mountain Resources, which is located in Benham. Nida said there are no announcements, at this time, in regard to layoffs or closure of that mine.

“The coal markets are in transition right now, especially the thermal coal markets where coal-fired generation plants are closed or planning to close,” said Nida. “This has reduced the demand for that particular product — coal.”

Nida listed three things he feels is now causing the down spiral of coal in Harlan County and throughout the United States.

“One is the low price of natural gas,” said Nida. “There has been some fuel switching. If the price of natural gas goes back up then switching may go back in the other direction. Generally, the U.S. economy has been weak so the demand for electricity from businesses and consumers has been less. Should the U.S. economy improve, businesses bounce back and consumers begin to use more electricity, then demand may increase. The third issue is regulation on coal-fired generation plants, which will cause, some studies say, as much as 20 percent of the coal-fired coal generation plants to close in the next 10 years. That’s not likely to change. If those plants get shut down, then the demand for coal will be less.”

When asked if employees losing their jobs were being offered jobs at other locations, Nida said, “Throughout the system we’ve had some reductions in force and some employees have been reassigned. I don’t believe that is the case at Coalgood Energy.”

Read more: The Harlan Daily Enterprise - Alpha closes Coalgood Energy 25 without work

65 more miners and at least 2 mines closed just this month were just for my county.

There are others in neighboring counties, but I don't have the names or job numbers for those and I apologize for that, so I will try to research them later this evening if you would like to know the specifics.

http://www.wkyt.com/news/headlines/47885517.html

Coal mine layoffs put 100 people out of work

at Premier Elkhorn Coal Company's PE 4 and PE 5 mines... one in Pike County, the other at the Pike-Letcher County border.

------------------------------------
http://www.wkyt.com/yourtown/locations/ ... 41935.html

50 layoffs at mine in Perry County

Some of the Arch Coal layoffs are in Perry County where the judge-executive says 50 coal miners are now unemployed.

Several coal miners, even those working nearly 40 years in the industry, woke up this morning not knowing they no longer had jobs.

It is a permanent decision made by Arch Coal officials affecting people in Perry County and across the mountains

-----------------------------------------

http://www.statejournal.com/story/18906 ... dding-jobs

I don't really want to paste the whole article at the link above, but it is well worth the time it takes to read in its' entirety.

Thanks for the links John, I'll check them out later.

We have had mine layoffs in PA too but I don't think we have had as many as your area and I don't think they have hurt the community as much.

01125107_Par_4584_ImageFile.jpg

http://washingtonexaminer.com/novem...-coal-regulation/article/2512538#.UJbkMoW1-AI

Should Obama lose, it looks like the EPA is preparing to pound the coal industry between the election and the transfer of power. They want to insure the "no new coal plants" mantra continues if they lose. If they win, they get 4 whole years of "not worrying about reelection" to impose their will.

Does anyone know how the EPA (and other agencies) make up rules that are effectively laws without the consent of Congress?

carbinemike said:
Does anyone know how the EPA (and other agencies) make up rules that are effectively laws without the consent of Congress?

Federal Register and piggy backing. :evil:
As far as laws are concerned here they are in order of presidance: United States Code (The Law), Code of Federal Regulations (Interpritation and specific applicablity of the Law), Federal Register (Proposed changes to the law) Technically no agancy can enforce laws until they are actually printed either in the U.S Code or the CFR, but who knows what happens behind closed doors.

I will bet that it happens often that a major bill passes through congress but the fine print (piggy back laws) will be overlooked. I'm no expert on law, although I have spent a good amount of time in the CFR's.

carbinemike said:

http://water.epa.gov/lawsregs/

Laws & Executive Orders

There are a number of federal statutes passed by Congress and signed into law by the President that are central to the Office of Water’s mission. In addition, Presidential Executive Orders (EOs) play a central role in a number of Office of Water activities. EOs are legally binding orders that direct EPA and other federal agencies in their execution of Congressionally established laws and policies.

Regulatory Information

Congress authorizes EPA and other federal agencies to write rules and regulations that explain the critical details necessary to implement environmental laws. Below are some of the key rules and regulations that the Office of Water employs to implement key statutes and programs.

Here's a post election article on what coal is now up against. Part of it says they are only after plants that are real old and have been getting waivers to stay open. Much like "assault weapons" I think they view old coal plants as an easy first step to broader control.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kensilv...ays-election-will-force-coal-into-compliance/

They should do more about places like Oak Ridge and Savanna River is another. Oops, can't forget 3 Mile Island which is 45 minutes from me.

That's a first I've seen of that carbinemike. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

These journalists just do not understand. It's not just about emissions. It's about over regulation, and excess taxation. Coal too can be "cheap", "less expensive", "affordable", but due to taxes, cannot be.

And if you can't get the Federal (EPA) permits to mine, you cannot mine to begin with.

How would that author like to get a permit from the government before he could touch a keyboard or pencil to write a story?

It is no different.

Last year in my state alone, coal severance taxes equaled:

the state was expecting $326.7 million from coal severance tax receipts and took in $298.3 million

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/07/26/2272 ... rylink=cpy

Not sure if anyone else caught it, but 28 MILLION dollars is a big dad gone shortfall when you take into account how many services 28 million dollars could provide.

So now that you see how important coal taxes are to the Commonwealth, does anyone have any big ideas to get that much alternate income? I'm certain that does not sound like much money to the Federal Government, but to any state with a limited means, that's a HUGE cut into the budget, and without it, services are reduced or stopped altogether.

Too many people rely on coal and the security it brings to us, but the Gov't is blind to that.

^ This is just STATE TAXES and don't include other operating costs, or Federal Taxes paid. So if anyone wants to look into the other expenditures that coal mines have to pay out (thus increasing the price of the product)

Just look at this

http://law.justia.com/codes/kentucky/2011/143-00/

Just look at this
Looking at that hurt my head.
Coal is in real trouble and with 4 more years it may never recover. They believe the 3% win in popular vote that pretty much kept things the same is a mandate.

Prayers and wishes of good luck to those in coal country.

I'm not usually one for commemorative/collector guns but that one is prety cool!

I like Henry rifles, and am glad they're an American company.

With it just turning into a new year, is usually a time for renewed hope. A time for change for the better.

But we all have had all the hope, and all the change that we can stomach here.

Sadly, with the shape the economy is in, and the massive job losses in my region, there is another heavy toll on my area, and one that has me writing today with a very heavy and broken heart.

And that is for all those young people, including my oldest son who are having to move away just to be able to find a self sustaining job because there is no work here at home worth a damn.

The town that I live in, is quickly turning into a ghost town. Only about 29,000 people at present. 7,000 less people according to the last census have moved away down from about 36,000 the 10 years before that, and down from almost 64,000 in the late 60's and early 70's that I remember so well growing up.

Each large community used to have an elementary and high school, and now we're down to a handful of elementary schools and have closed all the high schools and consolidated them into one central high school because they couldn't justify keeping them all open with so few students in each and simply couldn't meet their quota's.

My only hope is that someday, something will change and start creating jobs locally here again. God knows we've not lost jobs because we're unwilling or unable to work.

But an even heavier toll on us in the Appalachian communities that rely so heavily on coal, is the most precious and valuable of all resources.

I'm certainly not speaking about coal.

It's the torn families and the young adults that are having to be uprooted and move away from their homes, from their familiies and their familiar surroundings just for an honest and fair opportunity to make their own way in this world.

For that, if for nothing else, I can never forgive what the politicians are doing to us. As a country, as a family, and as a whole. Because sadly, I know in my heart that it's not only happening here, but if you look around, you'll see it just about everywhere you look.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n57WBtvtC4[/youtube]

I am seeing the reverse here in Ebensburg, PA... everyone has a job at Subway, Sheetz or Walmart and is Moving back in with their parents because they cannot afford to live out on their own as they cannot find "jobs worth a damn" ANYWHERE!

The railroad is getting hit hard and I am feeling that for sure! Between the Coal and Power Plants out Third Quarter was down almost 15%

Wow John, I am really sorry to hear this bad news. I didn't know it was that bad where you live and as a parent I would love for my kids to stay nearer as I grow old. I try not to think of them leaving. I had no joy in my work from 2000-2006 watching an 80 year old family business endlessly shrink from lost work to China. It was sad to see people leave never to return and eventually it was my turn. As sad as that was I can't imagine it happening to my community.

Where I live it is similar to what Ric noted. People work but it's at WalMart and McDonalds kind of jobs. We use to have what seemed like endless factories and everyone that employed several hundred are gone. I loved manufacturing but now work for a job shop because it's consistent. I have debated moving down the road but my family has been here since 1750 and my parents and MIL are older and will soon need help. I also wonder what will be there for my kids.

For that, if for nothing else, I can never forgive what the politicians are doing to us. As a country, as a family, and as a whole. Because sadly, I know in my heart that it's not only happening here, but if you look around, you'll see it just about everywhere you look.
Well said and I'm in full agreement. If I did move on down the road I have no idea where it would be any better inside these United States.

Back