• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Water Monkey's 2017 Projects

Update.... Barreled receiver should be coming back by next week. Sent off 2 op rods to Columbus Machine Works to be refurbished with new pistons, guide lugs rebuilt, and checked and corrected for proper dimensions of the bend. Once I get those things in I can complete the Edward Charles Wicks memorial build (which will be my NRA Highpower Match Gun).

If everything works out... I'll have a surprise buy to show off end of June.

Should also have my NY Compliant AR-15 build done by July.... not really that impressive like the other stuff.... cause it's gonna sport a fugly stock.

Well I'm pretty jealous Monkey.

I pulled the plug on my AR-15 build because the California doj hasn't been able to get their s*** together about what's going to be legal and illegal here.

EDWARD CHARLES WICKS MEMORIAL BUILD

This rifle is dedicated to my Grandfather who was a sailor during WWII.

Build took much longer than I anticipated. Many NOS parts that had to be fitted or hit with a mallet:

WWII dated receiver
rebarreled .308 Winchester
All other parts are either NOS or like new condition

This will be my NRA Highpower match rifle. I'm planning on sending it to CMP after this year's season wraps up for a final match glass bedding and other Garand match upgrades.

34380218513_0211207bea_k.jpg

34803137660_0f44e5f9ac_k.jpg

34380218303_9e00fd45e3_k.jpg

34380218183_2e75953f0a_k.jpg

34380217983_ea37f0f845_k.jpg

34803138240_d610928266_k.jpg

Last edited:
That is a beautiful weapon. I'm jealous.

Thank you. Been saving and getting parts late last year. Took about 8 months to put together the way I wanted. Gotta put in like $400 more into it to complete it as a full match rifle.

Looking to sight in next week

Took the rifle out to zero on Friday. Rained like hell but I got a decent 100 yard zero. Really came down so I wasn't able to verify 200 yards.

Small issue at the moment.... not cycling correctly. Basically a bolt action right now. Narrowed it down to probably out of spec operating rod piston and/or an under spec gas port hole in the new barrel.

Both are easily fixed. But it's gonna take some time. I may not be able to take her out to the NRA high power match this July. Darn!

Waiting on 2 refurbed op rods from Colombus Machine Works still. Used what I had in inventory to test fire her. I'm hoping it's just the op rod. Makes life easier. If not I'm gonna have to have the hole drilled wider to be in spec for .308 Grand specs which will mean I have to drop it off for 2-3 weeks and pay about $100. I could possibly do it myself. Iffy on it.

I'll come to that bridge when I have to cross it. Prayers it's just the op rod right now.

35410873505_ca9d0b65cc_z.jpg

Here's my 100 yard zero board. Last 4 shots were hitting #9 (low left on the line), #9(low left of the 10 line), Bullseye, #10(right)

That's in prone... in a puddle full of sand with irons. 6 clicks up from bottom seemed to be the sweet spot at 100.

UPDATE on the Garand Build:

Refurbished op rods came in last thursday. I'm off this week but my mother is in from Virginia so I will be spending some time with her this week.

Have a couple of other gas cylinders to test out as well. But right now the main suspect is a small criterion barrel gas port which, if my swaps don't work, will need to be enlarged professionally. I was also thinking I didn't properly degrease the NOS gas cylinder in mineral spirits so I'll have it soaking within the next day or so.

Monday July 3rd is the next scheduled range session. I will also be going with my son to finally test fire the first Garand build we did together in 30-06 in honor of his grandfather.

Should be a good day if the weather holds out. Will be awesome to spend the day with my son as this is his first ever shooting experience. Have my .223 MVP on call for him as well.

Back