• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

wax slugs

mbshop

.270 WIN
just got into studying them. all the videos and info out there. I think they have a place plus they are a good alternative for sd as opposed to slugs in a house or whatever. I know some use hot glue but I'm wanting the slug to break up after hitting what I'm shooting. would love a discussion on these.

If you get into making them, I'm interested in hearing all about it and seeing how they work!

Never used any of the wax/glue slugs. I'm more of a traditional guy.

Mostly, because if I'm going to expect it to break up (like bird shot), you may as well use bird shot. I think it will largely be the same effect on a soft target.

And besides, at HD distances, the pattern is still going to be very dense anyway even without the wax/glue.

I open the crimp, pour out the shot, blend most of the shot with molten wax, pour the mixture back into the shell, push the crimp back into place. This way, there is no chance of the slug becoming dislodged before I've fired it. I have no real plans to use these things for more than shooting at targets...unless we get zombies. Take care. Tom Worthington

By the way, I would never use home modified ammunition for self defense. Yes, you might stop the threat, but you also might spend the rest of your days locked up. Take care. Tom Worthington

More for giggles. But from what I see they could be the ultimate sd load. I have not heard or read of any problems of people getting jailed for using modified sd ammo. If so then courts could considerca .40, .45 or .44 overkill and toss you in jail. This stuff hits hard and then comes apart so it has way less chance of much further penetration.

I have not heard or read of any problems of people getting jailed for using modified sd ammo.

I think the general consensus is that it largely depends on the location.

What might fly over in one area, may sink like a rock in others.

And of course, there are about a gajillion other things that would come into play.

I have no reservations about using any sort of ammunition modified or not. The way I see it, if I have to pull the trigger, the wheels will be in motion anyway and my survival and the safety of my family will take priority over "what-ifs" and "hypothetical" and ...

Where I am, I don't have an issue with "over penetration". If there's a situation that calls for a shot, the biggest hole I can make all the way thru is my preference. I wanna see daylight on the leeward side. :p

I will try and get some info from the local lawyers and officers here. but dead is dead and I can't see how the means can mean much though I'm fully aware that idiocy rules.

this is the only scenario I see ammo coming into play legally .....maybe even the thing people do to melt bird shot to slugs.

Your actually changing the design and intended use of this ammo

and that does hold water

just recently stupid gun owners wondering stupid things(again) and then asking over and over till they got told

" the Sig Brace is not illegal to own, not illegal to shoot in its intended fashion. The instant the shooter shoulders the Sig Brace it is considered by the ATF to be a redesign of the Sig Brace"

So the stupid gun owners laid the way for the demise of shouldering the Sig Brace.....simply shouldering the Sig Brace is a redesign according to the ATF

Proving once again bored stupid gun owners with no life exist, and they wonder stupid crap till the get what they want instead of just taking a good thing and going with it

What people are doing with hot glue, wax or whatever is an actual redesign of ammunition intended for target or small game.

Some of us call it re-purposing.....some call it modification to make more deadly ammo......although I use the word deadly very loosely talking about hot glue and wax trying to do the job of lead

^^ Kinda like car/motorcycle/boat guys ;) . It's a hobby that's all. :)

There's plenty of commercially available ammo that will handle any possible threat to a homeowner, even if the intruder is wearing IIIA armor. Here's one such for your 12 gage:

SF_MBPM.jpg

1 3/8oz super hard slug, that exits an 18" barrel at 1650fps and carries 3545ftlbs of energy. More info here: http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/913.html

Penetration tests (pdf): http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/file...imum_Barrier_Penetration_Slug_Information.pdf

My favorite SD slug choice, that'll I'll actually load up:

defender-12-slug-buck-design-1.png

The Winchester PDX1 12 Defender. And if I'm attacked by home intruders geared up with body armor, I kinda figure it just isn't going to be my day. :eek: Take care. Tom Worthington

oli700, not sure if your saying this is stupid gun owners doing stupid things far as the wax slug is concerned.
after looking at it a huge amount I consider it a viable sd round. I consider, at least in my situation, a slug to
be a no go. to many houses to close. what I like about the wax slug is that it hits hard and wounds hard but
then basically returns to 7-8 shot and would pose little further harm. but for sure, before I use it I will test it
a lot. pdx1 is a no go in my situation.

oli700, not sure if your saying this is stupid gun owners doing stupid things far as the wax slug is concerned.

Not at all, nothing wrong with experimenting......if it fits what your looking for then who's to say anything

I understand the attraction to the wax slugs for home defense, due to their performance characteristics. For me, I'm going to stick to some sort of store-bought-off-the-shelf-unmodified ammunition. In fact, I'm not even going to risk putting some sort of green "zombie max" shells in my HD firearm. I'm also not going to use a firearm with "Punisher" logos embossed on it, for home defense. That's just me. We can all still make our own decisions...at least for now. Take care. Tom Worthington

Back