• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

wax slugs

totally agree with you. but I'm still fascinated by them. if not for sd then just for fun as they do make things blow up for little cost and time.

Oh, I keep some boxes of cheap birdshot rounds and old candles around. Because Zombies. :D Take care. Tom Worthington

At times it does seem that a large portion of the populace are zombies. Not ready to shoot them yet !

While brain dead (zombies) would describe many today, I think the same could be said for vampires. They just suck the life out of everything.

And I'm a bigger fan of the vampire genre than zombies.

I think either zombie or vampire classification could work on many out there.

But either way, everyone knows they're bad news.

The appearance of a load or firearm comes up from time to time with regard to ones motivation in the event of deploying lethal (and even less than lethal) force.

I've had conversations with law enforcement a few times on the subject and wouldn't say or suggest that what's the rule here locally applies universally. Here, in as much as I'm aware, if the trigger is pulled regardless of the firearm or load, the intent is lethality.

There are cases I'm aware of, in which the particulars of a load or firearm are brought up with the purpose of implying the individual intended to kill, wanted to kill, whatever, simply because the gun was a black gun or 00 buck with tactical labeling on the box was loaded.

Truth is, many loads are recycled with different labeling used for marketing purposes.

I buy what's less expensive. Somedays the box says "vitalshok" other days it says law enforcement or personal defense. One box has a picture of a human shaped target. Same load.

Not trying to reinvent the wheel with my comments except to reiterate you have to know the particulars in your area locally and you have to be comfortable with what you load. Otherwise there should be no end to experimenting for the fun of it.

I was just out shooting my new 20 gauge Maverick. Decided to try some conventional slugs, some wax slugs, and some buckshot against a target I'd recently constructed. I may have made the target a little too good. It stopped half a dozen lead slugs, cold. Naturally, it had no problem stopping half a dozen wax slugs too. My target was 9 sections of 2x4 I'd screwed together to form a 6 inch thick block. On the front, I attached a section of pressboard to make it easier to show the hits. Because all the slugs (lead and wax) are captured inside the wood, I can't really tell what they did, after impact. I can say that the entry holes looked exactly the same for the store bought slugs and the wax ones. At the 15 yds I was firing from, I'd have to call the wax slugs pretty definitive stoppers. They also feed and ejected just fine. The buckshot didn't impress the target, as expected, but I wanted to check the pattern.

As previously stated, I'm still not going to load up wax slugs for anything other than target practice, unless zombies (or something very similar). Take care. Tom Worthington

Thanks for that. Pretty hard to beat a built target like that. What gets my attention is what happens to the wax slug after the initial hit. If the ws breaks up consistantly into just the original shot thus severely lowering the chance of pass through damage, then I'm all for it. Thus I will be checking that out when I can find a place to shoot.

thanks. seen that. but personally I don't think its close to realistic. no house is built that way. but even with that
it does show the quickesh breakup of the slug.

sooo, took my first shells apart or rather opened 2 up. one I cut the crimp off and the other I just opened up the crimp. I'm rather surprised looking at the crimp how much energy would be required to open up a shell when fired. it looks like the cup takes the brunt of the shock to open up the outer crimp. I'm considering doing some both ways. cut open and crimped. anyone know the process that occurs to open a crimped shell when fired ?

I considered just cutting the crimp off, but I'm a bit of a pansy about potential catastrophic failures. One of the horror stories is that a wax slug somehow became dislodged from the hull and slipped into the barrel. When the round was fired, the barrel split wide open...so the story goes. Take care. Tom Worthington

yea, I have read and watched enough now to be very aware of the pluses and minuses. cut open shells will
always be loaded singly just before shooting with the gun pointed upwards. crimped ones should be ok but
will still be very watchful. due to my condition I will not shoot on hot days but even then-------.

Cue Jeff Foxworthy. You might be a redneck if you test the ballistic performance of homemade wax slugs using an old toilet seat lid in your own backyard.

Yep. I did it. Used a swinging wooden (painted) toilet seat lid as the target. I also placed two liter bottles of water about three inches behind it. The entry "wounds" were about the size of a dime. The exits were about the size of half dollars. There was a fairly small entry into the water bottle(s) with an associated rip in the plastic. There were no exits from the water bottles. Much of the birdshot was still in the bottom(s) of the bottle(s). Take care. Tom Worthington

Wonder how hot it would have to get , like in the cab of your truck, before they got real soft and come apart in the air......or just melt out of the shell, I've seen melted candles just on a sidewalk before

Good point oli. Seeing how a candle will start to deform at around 105F. Temps in a truck parked in the sun can go way past that.:eek:

Shot off another 25 round box of my 20 gauge wax slugs today. The targets were old eggs and my homemade wooden one. As with any slug, it did a real job on the eggs. Threw pieces of shell so high that they went out of my line of sight. Today, the wooden target was only 2 layers thick (4"). None of the slugs penetrated through it.

I also chilled the slugs, because it is so hot outside (about 100 degrees). Not sure whether it was that or the fact that I am now using a cylinder bore choke, but there were a lot fewer birdshot pellets on the target (away from the slug itself). The fact that I insist on recrimping my slugs may explain why I can't get the slugs to stay completely intact, all the way to the target. Take care. Tom Worthington

Back