• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

wax slugs

Out on the "range" again today. Had a couple of things to sort out.

For one, I'd swapped out a bunch of components from one 20 gauge shotgun to another. I swapped stocks, forends, and barrels between my 500 and my Maverick 88. My reasoning was that I actually prefer the safety location on the 88 over the 500. After swapping all the parts, I wanted to do a through function test on the 88, which is now one of my first level HD guns. I also wanted to try out the Spartan buckshot. Everything worked well. I do have to admit the Spartan buckshot does spread quite a bit, even at only 10 yards.

Next, I wanted to try some longer range testing of my homemade wax slugs. I used the 500 20 gauge (which now has a 22 inch barrel) and my Stoeger Uplander 12 gauge double barrel. I set my targets out at 80 yards. :D The targets were 2 liter bottles and hard boiled eggs. I had much better luck with the 12 gauge. Not sure why. I could easily see where my low shots went, as they left impressive grooves in the lawn. :D It was almost cheating to aim low. When the slugs hit the lawn, they broke apart and the birdshot cloud would wipe out the target. The shotcups landed at about 10-15 yards. When I moved up to 50 yards, the hits got a lot better. At 30 yards, the targets were dead meat. All in all, a lot of fun. Do have three shotguns to clean now, though. ;) Take care. Tom Worthington

Back