• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

We have a Contender!!!

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Just picked it up today! Thanks Oli!!!!

20121201_172844.jpg

I've been wanting one of these for a long time and when I saw this set I couldn't pass it up.

Included were 44Mag, 357Mag, 45Colt and .22LR Barrels.

As unbelievable as it sounds, these are the exact barrels I would have bought had I bought them separately. It's perfect!!!

I think it's might be time to pull my reloading equipment out of storage. ;-D

So happy it went to a member and good guy, thank you for giving it a good home Mike

If I can keep my end up, this combo should keep game on the table for years to come. :D

I always wanted the 223 but never got one. Had a 45-70....punishing is an understatenet lol

I've never been recoil shy but that would be punishing

I shot a Ruger Alaskan 454 earlier this year fun gun but not one I would want to shoot a lot. Lol

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

Nice, Mike!
Those pistols are very cool.
Here in Indiana, you cannot deer hunt with a high powered rifle, but you can hunt with a Contender with whatever rifle caliber you want as long as the bullet is .243 or bigger and the case without projectile is 1.16 inches long or bigger. That tells me a Contender in .338 Lapua would be legal. (ouch) Does not make alot of sense, but I never feel handicapped with my shotgun, so, whatever.
You can, however, varmint hunt all day long with a rifle of whatever caliber you want. Go figure.

Wow - that's a helluva setup! I only knew a bit about the gun and just schooled myself a bit more. Yeah, you got some of the 'sensible' calibers! Let the reloading begin. Amazing.

Oli - that 45-70 must have been a handful I see that the 'light' bullet was 300gr. That's old school government designed horsepower!

mingaa said:
Oli - that 45-70 must have been a handful I see that the 'light' bullet was 300gr. That's old school government designed horsepower!

I never shot a pistol that could really hold a candle to it. But recoil is more felt from a Contender IMO. The 44 mag barrel has some poop too, a decent bit more than a Backhawk that I have shot more. But
i can tell you when you bare it down on fur you feel nothing and it does its job well.

oli700 said:
But recoil is more felt from a Contender IMO.

Oh, now you tell me. LOL

I watched a guy shoot a 30-06 contender a while back and it looked like it was beating him up pretty good.

I was looking at trying these til I can get my reloading gear back up and running. Deer granades
45 COLT +P DEER GRENADE 260 gr. MEDIUM CAST HP-GC (1,500 fps) - 20 Round Box

PRESS RELEASE FOR BUFFALO BORE HEAVY 45 COLT +P DEER GRENADE (ITEM 3K)

BUFFALO BORES DEER GRENADE 45 COLT +P is a 260gr. massive hollow nosed, 12 BHN cast bullet with a gas check, traveling at the below velocities out of stock real world, over-the-counter firearms. Because this bullet is gas checked and properly lubed, it will NOT lead foul barrels.

We do not use the industry wide duplicitous practice of obtaining our advertised velocities out of extra long laboratory barrels, which give super high velocities the customer will never realize in the real world, where it actually matters.

1890 fps -- Marlin 1894, 20 inch
1526 fps -- Ruger Vaquero LARGE FRAME PRE 2006, 5.5 inch
1539 fps -- Freedom Arms mod. 97, 5.25 inch
1449 fps -- Ruger Redhawk, 4 inch

You’ll notice in one instance that a shorter barrel gave higher velocities than a longer barrel. This is not a typo.

This load is designed as the world’s premier deer load for the 45 Colt +P. The cast bullet is not considered hard, but neither is it soft. It is essentially a “medium” cast hardness with a BHN (Brinell Hardness Number) of 12. Pure lead is 4 and most hard cast bullets range from 15 to 25. It performs as follows:

At an impact velocity of 1,100 fps it will mushroom to about 80 cal. and should push right through any deer with a broadside shot.
At an impact velocity of 1,500 fps it will mushroom and some of the mushroom will fragment off and send bullet particles flying through the deer, but much of the mushroom and shank will remain intact and should push through any deer hit broadside.
At an impact velocity of 1,900 fps the entire mushroom will turn to shrapnel and send bullet particles all throughout the deer. The shank will remain intact, but will re-mushroom and do horrific damage inside the deer and will probably push through any deer hit broadside.

Of course, results will vary depending on how much bone, if any, is hit, etc... This load was designed specifically to do horrific damage to deer sized animals such as average black bear and hogs. It will make an incredible anti-personnel load if you can handle the recoil. It is flash suppressed and will not blind the shooter if used in low light when the criminal element and wild animals are most active.

The cartridge OAL is 1.585 inch and as such will chamber in any 45 colt firearm such as the Colt SAA or its clones, but firing this +P load in any firearm not designed for it would be disastrous, and could injure the shooter or bystanders. Please be responsible and use this load only in firearms designed to handle the pressure of +P ammunition. Use only in the following firearms:

All Ruger large frame revolvers chambered in 45 colt or 454 Casull. (never use +P ammo in the small frame New Model Vaquero—these revolvers were made from late 2006 and on—do not use in the New Model small frame Flat Top Ruger or ANY small frame Ruger)
All 1892 Winchesters and all copies of such made after 1920.
All Winchester and Marlin 1894 models.
Any break open action such as the T/C or Handi Rifle.
Any falling block action such as the Sharps or Winchester 1895.
Any Freedom Arms model 83 or 97.

If you are not responsible in using +P ammunition only in guns designed for use with +P ammunition, you potentially ruin it for all the responsible shooters that may eventually have +P 45 Colt ammunition removed from the market because of irresponsible use by a few. Please be thoughtful and careful in your firearm selection when using +P 45 colt ammunition.

If anyone knows where I can pick up a muzzle loading barrel for it let me know. :D

nice set up...i inherited my dads remington xp100, after he bought it, he had always wanted a t/c contender, but could never part with the xp...nor could he shoot the xp...

speedyquad said:
nice set up...i inherited my dads remington xp100, after he bought it, he had always wanted a t/c contender, but could never part with the xp...nor could he shoot the xp...

The XP100 is another one that always intrigued me. It didn't seem quite as versatile as the T/C but it looked like it would do the job just as well.

It's still on my list of guns I would at least like to shoot someday.

MikeD said:
speedyquad said:

The XP100 is another one that always intrigued me. It didn't seem quite as versatile as the T/C but it looked like it would do the job just as well.

It's still on my list of guns I would at least like to shoot someday.

it's been well over 30 yrs since he bought it and almost a year since i have had it. i have never shot it, and i think dad may have only put maybe 10 rds through it...

i do want to shoot or even own a contender...i just have to talk my wife into it...lol

So far I've put had a chance to shoot the 22 and the 357. All I can say is :D

Love it so far. I have a couple of boxes of Buffalo Bore Deer Grenades in 45 colt but have not had a chance to get out and try them yet.

I forsee many critters falling to this one in the future, :D

That was one sweet setup that oli700 sold you! Congrats on jumping on it and making it yours, 'cuz it would have really tempted me if I had seen that it was for sale.

At least I know I have one system that probably wont end up on the ban list if the SHTF. The Contender is an awesome platform.

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

Back