• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Weapon Mounted Tactical Lights/Lasers

Just mounted a Streamlight Polytac on a Magpul rail mount to the carbine...

http://www.streamlight.com/it-it/product/product.html?pid=159

PolyTac®
The all-purpose PolyTac is designed for the broadest range of lighting applications at the best value. It features a superior grip texture for a comfortable but slip-resistant feel, as well as TEN-TAP® Programming that gives users the choice of three operating modes.
  • C4® LED technology within a parabolic reflector produces a concentrated beam with optimum peripheral illumination
  • TEN-TAP® Programming: Choice of three operating modes:
    1.) high/strobe/low (factory default); 2.) high only; 3.) low/high:
    • High for bright light: 275 lumens; 9,500 candela; 195m beam distance; runs 3 hours
    • Low for when less light is needed and for longer run times: 14 lumens; 500 candela; runs 65 hours
    • Strobe for disorienting or signaling: runs 5.5 hours
  • Solid State power regulation provides maximum light output throughout battery life
  • Reflector produces a concentrated beam with optimum peripheral illumination — ideal for law enforcement backup light; day-to-day industrial use; maintaining vehicles; general contracting work
  • High-impact, super-tough nylon polymer for exceptional durability and a superior grip texture to provide a comfortable but slip-resistant feel
  • IPX7 rated design; waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes
  • Powered by two 3V CR123A lithium batteries (included)
  • 5.34 in. (13.56 cm); 4.2 oz (121 grams) with batteries
  • Available in Black, Coyote and Yellow
  • Limited lifetime warranty

Here's some info on the mount...

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG498/rails

The Rail Light Mount fits on any standard 1913 Picatinny Rail, is available in right or left side models, and integrates with the Magpul XTM panels. It positions the weapon light high and cantilevered forward, at the 11 o'clock or 1 o'clock position, to allow a more forward support hand position, keep the light tucked in close to the bore, and to minimize barrel shadow. A textured thumb ramp is integrated to provide the user an index point, aiding consistent hand placement and light activation.

Constructed of reinforced polymer, the Rail Light Mount nearly eliminates light compatibility concerns by conveniently including everything you need to mount Surefire 300 and 600 series Scout Lights, 1913 Picatinny attachment pistol lights, and all light bodies from 0.75" to 1.03" in diameter via the included set of anodized aluminum mounting rings.
Models are available to position the light high at 11 o'clock (LT, Left side model) or one o'clock (RT, Right side model).

Made in U.S.A.

The PolyTac seems like a great light so far and the Magpul mount is pretty versatile. Used a right side mount on the top rail to position the light at 11 o'clock. With the AFG2 this puts my thumb right in position to activate the light...

Love my polytac. Its my every day carry light. Can take a lot of abuse. Looks good on a weapon too.

Thank you Sir.

It works well with the AFG2 and using the light in this position feels very natural. Was looking for a light that uses AA, but the EXPS2 uses CR123A so it makes sense to run everything on the same batteries. Makes carrying spares a lot simpler.

Still on the hunt for a mount for my Pop's A2 handguard and I think I've zeroed in on the IWC 1" Mount-N-Slot TMC mount...

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/tmc-1-light-mount-n-slot/

Seems like a good set-up...

you just saved me $40... I was gonna get the Hailey Stratigic thorntail... but would have been limited to a certain flashlight. I didn't know Magpul made a light mount... and this will let me use a variety of different ones!

I thought I'd post some info on the CDM MOD-C mount on a 590A1. Website and details say will not work for the 590A1.......but.

On an 18.5" barrel there is no magazine tube to fit on. I am using an S&J hardware +2 extension on the end on my shotgun, so it slides on. Great fit, barrel thickness doesn't appear to be an issue.
Not sure, but there BMT mount might fit as well. Would be cool as you can add a rail to it for different options. The MOC-C is a very compact unit. I like that you can add a swivel sling mount which is what I did, just wish that is didn't have locking positions, 12,3,6,9, but It functions well. Can still easily carry and operate action without issues when firing.

small2.JPG

small3.JPG

Aside from that, now I need a real light. This is one I had laying around. Most of what I have seen or found is your typical black, but was hoping for something that would closely match the parkerized finish of the 590A1. I found a Surefire E2E, but they are long gone, also seen the Surefire M951, but need a rail. What other options are there for lights that would fit this application, size and color.

Thanks, Cheers

MOE

That is a nice smooth-looking setup.

What about the finish on ElZetta lights?

I started another thread asking about lazers and lights for my 500 and all the while this informative thread was forging forward, unbeknownst to me! I'm curious about something, though. It seems the Streamlight TLR 1s is the majority choice. But why does it take a $100+ light to light the way for a tactical shotgun? Are there not much less expensive options for a light? Or, would the less expensive options not withstand the recoil of a shotgun? I'll have to be honest, my bedroom shotgun isn't going to be fired but once in it's lifetime, in a night-time scenario, so I'm hesitant to pay that much for a light.

I would never take my chances, or trust my life with a firearm I don't practice with regularly. Thats all I have to say about that.

I fully understand your point. I'm practiced with the 500. Just don't have a light on it. Don't think it will take much practice, if any, to learn how to push the "on" button.

My apologies, I misunderstood your wording. My Mossberg has a dedicated weapon light, my AR has a quick release mount that I can drop my EDC carry light, or any other 1 inch diameter light into. I will be making up another mount like that shortly. I've also got some real cheap tactical lights on the way. Just to try out. If they can withstand some use and abuse they will be good fall back lights.

Okay, so I've decided on which light I want. Now I have to find a quick release bracket for the light and a mag-tube mount with a picatinny rail. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Hey guys & gals.... I just ordered a streamlight TLR -1 HL for my Scorpion 1911 to swap out for a Crimson trace light i have..... anyone running one & how do you like it ??

Love my TLR1-HL. Been on many night hunts for snacks (Axis deer and other edible varmints), nothing like 1.5 hours of 600+ lumens of focused light :;)

Very bright, I have it on my home defense 930 spx. The light is fantastic, but if using it in an application similar to myself, I hope you do not have white walls on the interior of your home. Otherwise, you'll likely experience a washout and inhibit your own vision. Yes it's that bright! Luckily, the walls in my home are earth tones and don't washout.

Back