• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Weapon Mounted Tactical Lights/Lasers

New Tactical Light and Truglo Optic Sight

Thought you all may like to see a couple of additions to my 500 Persuader.
I could not find a dedicated light mount I liked, so went with a rig I thought may work. I could not mount the light directly below the mag tube because the top screw tightening adjustment wouldn’t fit between the barrel and tube so I set it up by the barrel at about 2 o’clock from the mag tube.
This is close to center of gravity and doesn’t affect the ‘tilt’ of the gun. I chose the UTG light due to price and brightness (126 lumens) more as a trial to see if it might work with the gun. I wonder if the Xenon bulb will withstand the firing shock so will probably unscrew it when target practicing (they make an LED bulb which will replace it if/when it blows). I know one thing: it’s plenty bright for blinding and disorientation, and that’s what I was trying to accomplish. Also has a remote on switch on the forearm (positioned it to press with thumb).
I also replaced the copper bead with a Truglo red optic.
Next is a single-point sling and that should complete the project. What next, a 590 maybe? :D

This is a UTG Defender Series Weapon and Handheld Tactical Xenon Flashlight (126 lumens) mounted using a NCStar MS1M 1" Scope Mount/12ga Magazine Tube 1" from Amazon.com

NOTE: NO ENDORSEMENTS OF ANYTHING HERE, JUST WHAT I THOUGHT MIGHT WORK.

Attachments

• Looking down the barrel.JPG
    Looking down the barrel.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 380
  • Taclight top view.JPG
    Taclight top view.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 377
  • Taclight right side.JPG
    Taclight right side.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 377
Re: New Tactical Light and Truglo Optic Sight

It looks pretty good and I really like the TruGlo fiber optic!

Re: New Tactical Light and Truglo Optic Sight

Thanks for the update! Keep us updated on how you end up liking the UTG light.

Streamlight TLR-1

Highly Recommend - I bought a TLR-1 light for my M&P 9mm that sits next to my 590A1 near the bed. Very bright at 135 lumens, easy access to momentary or steady on/off switch plus it's ambidextrous. Very impressed for $98 (including shipping) and it will fit other guns very easily too. For the money (when compared to the great Surefire X300 for $275+), this is a great light.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/streamlight-tlr1-weaponlight.html

tlr1_enlarged.jpg

Intensly bright, virtually indestructable tactical light, attaches/detaches to almost any gun in seconds. Now featuring the latest C4® LED technology producing 2 to 3 times the output of previous LEDs.

- Powered by two 3-volt CR123 lithium batteries with 10-year storage life
- C4® LED technology, impervious to shock with a 50,000 hour lifetime
- LED Rating: Up to 7,000 candela peak beam intensity and up to 135 lumens measured system output. Deep-dish parabolic reflector produces a concentrated beam with optimum peripheral illumination
- Run Time: 2.5 hours regulated run time. Solid-state current regulation for consistent illumination level.
- Rail grip clamp system securely attaches/detaches quickly and safely with no tools and without putting your hands in front of muzzle
- Mounts directly to handguns with Glock-style rails and to all MIL-STD-1913 (Picatinny) rails.
- Includes keys for Glock-style, Picatinny, Beretta 90two, S&W 99 and S&W TSW
- Machined aluminum sealed construction with black anodized finsih
- Ambidextrous momentary/steady on/off switch
- Highly accurate sight repeatability when remounting
- Fits existing light bearing holsters
- 4.18 oz.
- IPX7 rated design; waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes. Dustproof.

Here's a pic of the back of the TLR-1. It shows the momentary or constant on/off switch. Since I'm right handed (it is an ambidextrous switch), my trigger finger works the right switch. If I move it up it is in momentary on but when I release it it automatically turns off. If I pull it down, it stays in constant on. For my M&P 9mm, it hugs my trigger guard so it is real close and doesn't make me lose position of my two handed pistol grip. I've heard that some pistol rails don't go all the way to the trigger guard (a mistake in engineering in my opinion) and this makes the handler have to stretch to reach the light. My trigger guard fits snuggly in the middle of this switch.

tlr-1_switch-end_enlarged.jpg

The assembly is very easy ... even for someone like me (I'm can barely tie my shoe laces :lol: ). These parts come with the package. It comes with a glock rail key already attached to the light but because I've got an M&P, I had to use one of the other rail keys. It took me 10 mins to do change rails and attach this to my gun ... very easy to do.

31fRBlK09GL.jpg

Since I'm not very good at taking pictures and transporting them to the web, here is a picture I found (not mine) that is an M&P 9mm with a TLR-1s. The "s" is the strobe function (which I don't find necessary or needed) but the set-up is nearly identical to my gun and light. You can see how the light switch snugs the trigger guard. Imagine if the rail was short and it didn't do this, you'd have to reach for the switch and that wouldn't be good. Mine is perfect though.

mptlr1web.jpg

Re: Streamlight TLR-1

This has been on my list of needs for some time!

Do you mind if I move this to "Reviews"?

No problem ... put this where you feel it best fits. Since you are moving it, I added more info to the post.

Nice work and nice write up! Thanks for taking the time to do that!!!

Thanks for sharing your review of the Streamlight TLR-1. I have the Streamlight TLR-1S and absolutely love it.

bought one and I really like it

dosent fit my M&P9c though so it lives on my Springfield XD-40 service

Re: What is the best tactical light and/or laser?

BlackHawk Night-Ops Xiphos NT Weapon Mounted Light

p506609881-4.jpg

p231425606-4.jpg

p249793312-4.jpg

p184754165-4.jpg

p141860886-4.jpg

p843006730-4.jpg

BlackHawk Night-ops Xiphos NT vs Streamlight TLR-1S
p553687795-4.jpg

When we as group were looking at this we laid out what we wanted first then tried to find a light that fit the need.
Criteria: Cree/xpg led - 150 + lumens - adjustable settings- rear pressure switch - strobe - AND MUST HAVE - AA batteries - handheld as well as weapons mountable.

We succeeded in all areas with the Fenix LD20. The light is mounted on the SPX 930 extension tube with a tri rail and a Viking tactics offset mount. On the offset mount we installed aftermarket winged screws that allow us to quickly remove the light off the tri rail mount. The light is then able to be operated by your thumb.
We elected to go with no pressure switch attachments on the light, less to go wrong. The AA battery request is due to the availability of theses types of batteries vs cr123's. It definitely limits choices on all products but it's a must on all group standard components.
It my not be the "Best" but it works very good and can multitask on different guns and handheld situations quickly.
I will provide pictures as soon as I can.
I forgot to say that we got the light for $56.00 from amazon, the tri mount for $20 and Viking tactics offset mount for $22.

Picked up a Surefire G2X for $55 shipped new...gotta be one of the best bang for your buck lights.

It fits perfectly with my CDM Mod C, and both parts look like they belong on my 590 from factory.

I think the strobe feature would have been cool, but an extra $50 just for strobe wasn't my thing. I would presume that both Surefire and the TLR are great quality products, just comes down to how much you wanna spend and the look you want and mount on your SG

what pistol do you have it on and how do you feel about lasers?

EAINC said:
what pistol do you have it on and how do you feel about lasers?
I've got my TLR-1 on an M&P 9 but I don't have a light (yet - still trying to figure that out) on my 590A1. I'm not a fan of lasers but that's just me. I think they'd slow my response time down and slowly degregate my shooting skills. They could be useful if I was shooting in awkward situations that it was difficult to get aim on a target but I would consider those very rare scenarios.

Again, this is my thinking.

very true I feel that a light will give away your position

EAINC said:
very true I feel that a light will give away your position

If used improperly, yes, but a light is needed to verify the target. Whether you use a flashlight or weapon mounted light (I use both), you've got to know what's in front of you before you shoot.

yes very true, what do you think about a strobe feature

EAINC said:
yes very true, what do you think about a strobe feature
I find them annoying and unnecessary but, again, that's just me. Others like them but I don't. As long as my target is identified and the threat is real then I'm shooting (if I feel it necessary) ... I don't find it necessary to "strobe" the guy before I shoot him. I like to keep it simple and adding a strobe into the equation is something I don't care to deal with in a SD situation. Plus, my TLR-1 (or 200 lumen flashlight) is very bright and that will provide a momentary blinding while I aquire the target.

Again, this is my opinion while others have their own.

Back