• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Weapon Mounted Tactical Lights/Lasers

Re: What is the best tactical light and/or laser?

I use a flashlight at work that is capable of temp. blinding someone in full on or strobe mode. It's great for situations where you have a non-compliant threat that is unarmed. As a security officer, I don't have any more rights to use a weapon than a normal citizen so it comes in handy when I know drawing my weapon is excessive. The only up side to the strobe mode, though, is it makes the pupils fluctuate making the effect last a few seconds longer. As it's been stated above, they don't really have a use on a weapon outside of law enforcement. If you, as a civilian, draw your weapon, you better use it ... and be in the right to do so!

Sn3aKyGuY said:
I use a flashlight at work that is capable of temp. blinding someone in full on or strobe mode. It's great for situations where you have a non-compliant threat that is unarmed. As a security officer, I don't have any more rights to use a weapon than a normal citizen so it comes in handy when I know drawing my weapon is excessive. The only up side to the strobe mode, though, is it makes the pupils fluctuate making the effect last a few seconds longer. As it's been stated above, they don't really have a use on a weapon outside of law enforcement. If you, as a civilian, draw your weapon, you better use it ... and be in the right to do so!
I can see its use in LE or Security but to your point, if someone is in my home my gun is already out and strobe is not in the equation.

catnphx said:
Sn3aKyGuY said:
I can see its use in LE or Security but to your point, if someone is in my home my gun is already out and strobe is not in the equation.
;) You know it!

Mounting a light

I see plenty of threads on the best light for the gun, but I am unclear as to moutning one.

My 590A1 has the tr-rail forend, so I can mount left, right, and underneith so I just need to know what is a good way to mount the light.

I am intersted in the BlackHawk Night-Ops Xiphos NT Weapon Mounted Light that DHonovich posted but I would be interested to read the review of functionality before making the choice. The pictures look nice, but how well does it work?

If not that particular light, it would be one with the rear push button mounted on the left hand side or underneith. but I am not sure which mounting system would work best for the rails and not be too cumbersome.

If there is already a thread covering this, just link it and I'll continue there. if not, lets discuss options.

Re: Mounting a light

It has its own mount, no?

If not that one, why not just go with a tried and tested solid inexpensive one like the TLR1 or 3? Or if you're feeling rich one of the surefires?

You can't go wrong with a Streamlight TLR1s but so far this BlackHawk Night-Ops Xiphos NT Weapon Mounted Light has been holding up extremely well to all the abuse I can throw at it.

Those TLR's are looking intising, going to look deeper into that option. Good thing is they come mount ready.

I guess I was curious on how to mount the "handheld" models I see people also talking about. My local shop doesn't carry too many options outside the guns and ammo department so I haven't gotten to put anything in my hands to get a good gawking at to see the mechanics involved of mounting a tubular style light.

I don't have much experience with the handheld lights being mounted but if you have any questions about the TLR1s vs the BlackHawk Night-Ops Xiphos NT let me know.

DHonovich said:
I don't have much experience with the handheld lights being mounted but if you have any questions about the TLR1s vs the BlackHawk Night-Ops Xiphos NT let me know.

Again, isn't the NT ready to mount?

yea it is extremely similar to the TLR1s in every sense except its primarily made of a carbon-fiber/polymer body instead of mostly aluminum so its a tad lighter.

BlackHawk Night-Ops Xiphos NT Weapon Mounted Light
• Duplicate ambidextrous operation of all programmed functions
• Intelligent circuit design eliminates afterglow
• Over two hours of total runtime
• No tools required for installation or battery removal
• Anti-reflective glass lens ensures maximum light output
• Incredibly lightweight and won’t change the feel of your weapon
• Corrosion-resistant black anodized aluminum
• Stainless steel with black oxide-finish metal
• Injection-molded carbon-fiber/polymer body
• High-impact LIFETIME LED resists high G-forces from recoil and drops
• Modes of output: Momentary Switch, Constant On, Strobe, and Low Battery Indicator
• Water resistant up to 10 meters

Specifications: XIPHOS NT X-RE

Max Output 90 Lumens
Diameter 1.1”
Length 3.1”
Weight (with/without batteries) 1.9 oz. / 2.5 oz.
Runtime 120 Minutes
Battery (1) 3-Volt CR123A
Bulb LED

vs
Streamlight TLR-1S