• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Weird range rules

So I went shooting today with some guys from work, went to an outdoor range in the area that we had heard was nice. Most of the other guys had rifles and handguns, I was the only one with a shotgun. I came across some weird rules that actually drove me to leave.

First off it was pricey, $20 for the day, which....ok it's for the day I guess its a decent deal. Second your targets had to be a certain size, it was like a 2' x 2' square, no bigger. Third, no human silhouette targets were allowed. Fourth, no bird or buck shot.....slugs only. Fifth (the final straw for me) no shooting slugs from a standing position, sitting only. Are you kidding me???? I asked the RO why that was and he said they had problems with people shooting all over the place. I looked down the 25yd range at my target where I had just put 5 slugs through the center and first ring and looked back at him. He looked at my target and back at me and said that was the rule. So I proceeded to pack my stuff right in front of him and left. I didn't see any point in practicing shooting a shotgun from a sitting position and wasting the ammo. "Oh there's an intruder in my house? Hold on and let me pull up a chair to take a shot.......hold on almost there........ok there we go. BANG!"

Both of the local indoor ranges allow slug and buck shot, standing positions, and whatever targets you want. Plus they are cheaper! I always thought outdoor ranges were more lenient on things. I have never heard of such rules before and was wondering if anyone here has heard of these rules? I'm all for safety and responsibility but that's just silly.

Those rules aren't that uncommon.

If you were to walk down range at my local indoor range (now closed), the carnage to the overhead air system was unbelievable as well as the floor and walls. While you may be capable, a majority of those that hit the range may not be. A couple of the RSO's would let me draw and shoot from the holster only because I had taken classes there, others would not and the policy changed when a LEO almost shot himself in the foot while practicing his draw.

I have not been to the local outdoor range in years but the last time I went I do not believe they allowed standing and shooting at anything other than the 10 or 15 yard pistol range. Looking at the number of holes in the overhead canopy I understand why.

Yes it sucks but just trying to relay a little of what I know as to why the rules exist.

Most of my shooting occurs on public use land and my buddies private property. Even with active RSO's the people at the local ranges scare me.

I haven't been to a range (indoor or out) in 15 years (got out of the city and into the country). But I do understand what a pain some ranges can be. Often it's because of the surrounding community rules/complaints, or liability issues, or just because that's the way the owner runs the joint. His place, his rules. Also, I found that a significant percentage of patrons at ranges were pretty new to the sport or just plain lousy shots and would never get better, so his rules may have been justified on that basis. Who knows.

Anyway, since I've had the space for the last 14 years I've enjoyed shooting far more than I used to (not counting USMC time). My place, my rules :):p;) . I do invite people I know to shoot and hunt here no charge. Only thing I ask is that they set up their own targets, and clean up their own mess.

But no walk-in's or party timers.

Last edited:
My local range has target holders and they ask that targets fit between the rails which is about 2' for the rifle ranges. I'm not aware of restrictions on pistol. I'm also not aware of restrictions on silhouette targets, but like I said it's bewen a while since I shot there.

So I went shooting today with some guys from work, went to an outdoor range in the area that we had heard was nice. Most of the other guys had rifles and handguns, I was the only one with a shotgun. I came across some weird rules that actually drove me to leave.

First off it was pricey, $20 for the day, which....ok it's for the day I guess its a decent deal. Second your targets had to be a certain size, it was like a 2' x 2' square, no bigger. Third, no human silhouette targets were allowed. Fourth, no bird or buck shot.....slugs only. Fifth (the final straw for me) no shooting slugs from a standing position, sitting only. Are you kidding me???? I asked the RO why that was and he said they had problems with people shooting all over the place. I looked down the 25yd range at my target where I had just put 5 slugs through the center and first ring and looked back at him. He looked at my target and back at me and said that was the rule. So I proceeded to pack my stuff right in front of him and left. I didn't see any point in practicing shooting a shotgun from a sitting position and wasting the ammo. "Oh there's an intruder in my house? Hold on and let me pull up a chair to take a shot.......hold on almost there........ok there we go. BANG!"

Both of the local indoor ranges allow slug and buck shot, standing positions, and whatever targets you want. Plus they are cheaper! I always thought outdoor ranges were more lenient on things. I have never heard of such rules before and was wondering if anyone here has heard of these rules? I'm all for safety and responsibility but that's just silly.

Same EXACT rules in place at the state run facility three miles down the road from me.

That's why I drive an hour to the gun club outside of town. In their defense in the couple years I actually shot there I watched countless people blow the sides outta the wood target stands, shoot holes in the roof above the benches, put targets up at 100 yd and bounce rounds off the ground at about half way, and three people accidentally shot themselves. These rules may seem ridiculous, but I'll guarantee they were put in place out of necessity...

Back