• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Welcome, Cadd, to the world of the retired!

Scoop

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I told them one year ago, that I would retire Feb 15, but they still haven't hired anyone to take over my desk.
Well the good news is that I'm going to be retired in a few months and except children and grandchildren and an aging mother there's nothing to keep me here.

My 86 year old mother wants to move back to Kentucky. Theoretically, in May...

retirement-15.jpg

Cadd, Welcome as a new member of the club of retired young fogies. I wish you the best. The thought of seeing you in person some day will serve me well as mandatory accomplishment. Make it happen, Buddy.

By the way, they've hired a new young guy right out of college, and another guy who's flying in from Kansas tomorrow but who has not yet committed to work here. None of us have met him yet

I will have some time to travel once Judy retires in June.

Ah....I can't wait to be a bump on the log. Congratulations Cad!!!
Stay active...

Not for me bud. I've been sitting at a desk for 40+ years, pushing pencils crunching numbers and clicking buttons to make money.

Now is when the real work begins.

I've got Dad's four wheel drive to rebuild, a hot rod to build up, an old fishing boat that could go in any direction depending, a house that I would like to put more wood into, the garage that needs more cabinetry, a skateboard that hasn't been getting ridden enough, a motorcycle that definitely needs more than just polishing, a new bicycle (which I haven't actually bought yet), a bunch of guns and ammo to play with up in the hills.

AND the computer network which helped me pay for all that stuff including several hoarded "antique" computers, just in case I decide I need to sit on my butt some more.

I'm also thinking about putting a camper on my truck or just trading it in on a self-contained camper.

I want to do a lot less sitting around during retirement. I have built my crappy knees back up to where I can do a modest amount of hiking in the hills.

I do not see a sedentary retirement in my future.

Maybe not, but I suggest you stay up a little past your bedtime tonight, and sleep in a little late in the morning. At least.

Check my post times and they will reveal exactly that. I got a serious jump on that whole sleeping in business. ;)

Well it's totally official now.

I wrapped it up at 6 o'clock tonight.

I'm officially unemployed.
:D:D:D

EDIT...BTW, I finished up my last project, at least the drawings and calcs are essentially finished; but it wont be built for a year.

Last edited:
LOL...This is the 21st century.

I just reprogrammed it. ;)

Anyhow today is my first day as a free man, I have a whole shitload of targets and ammo, but it's pouring rain.

That probably sounds pretty pathetic to you duck hunters. :oops:

But my plan for today was to load up all the pistols and the breakdown guns in my motorcycle and ride out to the shooting range.

"Retired" from the military on '95. Worked on bikes for last 17 years. Went from the frying pan into the fire. Started a new job in manufacturing in Jan...the hardest I've worked in 20+ years. Got another 10 to do before I can say "I'm retired" and mean it...

Well I went in yesterday to the office to have a goodbye lunch and clean out my desk. I've been cleaning it out for a week so I was down to the last car load.

It's pouring rain today so I've just been puttering around the garage. Later I'll go see my mom at the old folk's home.

The goodbye lunch was not an official goodbye lunch it was just one of three and the third one is yet to come.

I expected to get soundly roasted, and there will be some kind of gag.

But there's a possibility that I will do some contract work for these guys in the future. I should be a good sport about it all. The thing is, in our group I am not the most capable structural engineer; but until we hired Mark I was the most capable computer geek.

The old guys are retiring from the company (three of us dinosaurs) and the new guys that they're taking on are going to help advance the co, & that's wonderful.

Since I cleaned out my desk yesterday (officially that is, I cleaned out my physical desk but I haven't cleaned out my virtual desk) I expect to be shocked when I go in today and find they've moved the furniture.

My stapler will be gone...

As I was walking out saying goodbye, I saw a twinge of envy in my boss's eye. He's three years older than I, and he has been at this for 40 years. One third of the businesses is his.

It means he's made more money but he's tied to this business by his professional license. You can't just get up and walk out. There are jobs we've delivered which have not been built, and because of budget constraints they may not be built soon. Anyhow, if something happens I'm not going to be named in a lawsuit. That Albatross belongs to my boss.

Back