• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Welcome to.....

3skulls

.270 WIN
... The Shellshot Report - Where every pull of the trigger is fair and balanced.

Reports and views coming from a very new owner / shooter of a Mossberg shotgun.
Shooting a 590a1 SPX - GRS with a Hogue 12" LOP
Shooting right handed being left eye dominant.

Goals of this thread:
Share a view from a person very new to shotguns.
Keep an online log of what I have shot so I can look back and see what I have done.
Get as much information out there from every view possible.
To have fun and improve overall as a shooter.

Feel free to chime in, give advice or point and laugh.

First up.
Winchester Super X slugs

be7a8ugy.jpg

Wow, these pack a punch. Now I'm sure my stance is nowhere near perfect or even good. Shot a box of 5 and I felt it. (insert point and laugh here) 2nd shot I hit myself in the nose, ouch. Shot with the Hogue for the first time today. Wish I would have shot a few of these with the factory setup so I could compare.
No real targets set up yet. Just having some fun after work today.

This tree is bigger than a can, smaller than a 2 liter.

veje4a4e.jpg

8uhy2ade.jpg

About 10 yards out. Was happy to hit it :)

Will be adding more soon!
Thanks for reading.

Three inch 1-oz slugs doing almost 1800 feet per second?????????

You, Sir, have my never ending respect and admiration. Please tell me that you shot those standing or kneeling and not prone or from a bench.....

I look forward to your thread! And I am not in a position to either laugh or point, I am sure I'll learn a lot. The last time I shot a 3" slug I busted by thumb into my nose and eyeglasses in spite of a good stance and proper hold.

Nicely done Sir, and GREAT thread idea!

Tip of the cap to you from me as well. You certainly started with one helluva benchmark for comparison and that poor tree didn't stand a chance. I'm looking forward to your updates here...

Thank you Sir and yes I was standing. Yep I'm pretty sure it was my thumb that hit me, nose is still sore.
Glad I'm not the only one :p

Thanks L.E.S. !
I'm more than glad to give a little back to the site. You guys have already helped me out a ton. Thought I would share as I learn how to shoot, to help the next person buying their first Mossberg.

Walked back to my make shift range today. Thought I would add this.
Same slugs as the posted above. Very large dead tree that fell last year.

This photo shows where the slug hit. About an inch deep.
ze9ebuge.jpg

And the slug itself.
9yhe3y7a.jpg

yneva5as.jpg

Pulled the trigger about 20 yards out.

Amazing how much power this weapon can produce.

Next up...

Winchester Super X - 00 Buck
2 3/4" - 1325 velocity - 9 pellets

9a9abuhu.jpg

Printed some 8.5 x 11 targets off mytargets.com, placed on 1/2" drywall.

10 yards
je7uva8y.jpg

10 yards (placed tape over previous shot) you can see where the shot wad hit.
5yry3ese.jpg

10 yards (placed tape over previous shot) shot wad lower right.
zaguvygu.jpg

20 yards - only 8 pellets hit the dry wall
hyzymuda.jpg

y3avy7e9.jpg

4 quick shots on a break at work :)

This was more to see pattern and not penetration.
I would think my longest shot inside my house would be around 30-40 feet. Pretty happy with that pattern at that range. Took aim at the center of the target, high on a couple and low on the 3rd. Shot right around 30 shells total so far.
Still need to zero in my sights, that's out of the box.

Thanks for looking.

A question for you and anyone with more shells down range.

With me being new, the pressure of a BG in the house, a moving target and 30' or less between the 2 of us. Wouldn't I want something that's going to spread out a little more?
Thoughts?

You are responsible for every shot that leaves that barrel. Depending on where you live and those who live with you or near you, minimizing collateral damage of others is your responsibility.

I live in an apartment complex. I need a tight pattern.

Excellent point WM, and an extremely crucial consideration!

Along with potential for collateral damage, one must also consider the effects of one stray shot hitting your target vs. an entire payload. You may only get a chance to take one shot, and a tight shot pattern hitting your target could mean the difference between a neutralized threat or a wounded, pissed off intruder...

Just wondering if you are pluckin out the slugs to keep for later? You never know when of if you will want to reload your stuff.

Good topic, I too, will be following along. Thanx.

Point taken.
I do understand where you are coming from. My biggest worry is my stairs. 180* of windows and a busy store nextdoor.
I do have a 5 shell box of PD132 Federal Premium with the FliteControl Wad. Will test those soon.

I hope to set up a Drywall / Insulation / Drywall with 2x4 stud to test out.
Another ammo run and More practice in the future for sure.

Thanks for the conversation.

Another good point L.E.S.

Ripjack - haven't put much thought into it yet. I looked around and only found that one slug out of 5

Thanks for following guys, the more info and insight out there, the better for all of us.

I think this is a great thread! I can't get enough of the ammo stuff and I think there will be good stuff here for all of us and any experience level!

I dont know, the 3" shells did not have nearly as much recoil as I was expecting, more a push then a smack. Seems all the Super X branded slugs dont have to much recoil (I look for hard recoiling rounds, I find them fun to shoot for some reason)...now the Remmington High Velocity 2 3/4" 'Slugger' rounds, they had some kick..of course it could all be in my mind?

Back