• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Well I gave my 930 SPX another chance

Deep1

.270 WIN
I bought a 930 SPX a while back from Robertsons Trading Post and could not have been happier with the deal or the service. I took it out twice and was less than impressed with it's overall performance to be honest. A few failures to extract and a couple failures to feed. On top of that I did not like the pistol grip stock.

So I start looking for a standard stock and found that aftermarket support for this shotgun is awful. Then I make a couple of attempts to contact Mossberg in regards to buying a stock and I got no response at all from them and was advised that I had to call them on the phone to do business with them. I work offshore and the phone is often times not an option for up to 6 weeks at a time. Really not happy at this point.

Then after a significant amount of time trying to find someone interested in trading stocks a really good guy with the member name "Hoss" contacts me for a trade and I finally have a standard stock.

Then I started trying a few of the tips people have posted on the forum about tweaks and lubrication suggestions for my 930. Well today I took it out to see if there was any improvement and ran 175 rounds of buck and slugs through it and it did not miss a beat.

I am actually amazed at how fast this thing cycles and how accurate it is. I fired every round as fast I could accurately fire it at 15 to 50 yards. I am now a believer and would like to thank everyone on this forum for all the advice on how to get it to run as it was intended.

Now that's a happy ending...good for you sir.

Good deal and have fun. Just a suggestion. I would call Mossberg and buy a spare Pusher Assembly (The piece with the two prongs that push on the bolt). IMHO, this one part is the 930's weak link. I have gone through three. However, I shoot a LOT (~250 to 300 rounds a weekend). The Pusher Assembly is typically cracked by improperly installing the barrel.

MikeT, any idea exactly what can be done incorrectly during barrel reassembly that could cause pusher failures/breakage?

MikeT, any idea exactly what can be done incorrectly during barrel reassembly that could cause pusher failures/breakage?

Torsion, when you put the barrel in, you can actually twist it around a bit before it locks up. the torsion on the PA can cause it to split on top (Thinnest point) between the "prongs". I push the spacer all the way down depressing the PA's prongs into the receiver, then seat the barrel to avoid this. Usage can also cause the PA to split.

Ah gottcha..........great description Mike.......thanks so much. I'm going to tear mine down this weekend and will pay more attention during barrel re-install.

Glad you got the issues worked out.

It's frustrating that there are many that have issues out of the box, but once you get it working, it is a great gun.

I agree. I was not happy the first couple of times out. It did not take much to make it run, but I wonder if you should have to mess with it just to make it work. Thanks MikeT for the advice on the pusher.

Back