• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What .45 ACP Do You Use?

honkey said:
Interesting... I started with these at 1.260. I'll try going to 1.255 and see if that does the trick.

That sounds like a very methodical approach to solve the problem, but it is just a crap shoot if .005" is the right number. May I suggest you remove your barrel and do the plunk test with your cast bullets that stick too soon and get a better idea of a starting point on how far to initially seat them deeper.

Initially, only do a very few at 1.155" and plunk test them right there at your press. Keep going with those couple or three until you can can keep the bullet's ogive off the lands 100%. And then you've "got it" for the rest of your batch of loaded ammo plus all future ones using that bullet.

This is a VERY common occurrence among those of us who cast and reload, but to be fair it is the same issue I have with jacketed 124- and 147-gr Hornady XTPs in my 9mm pistols. I have to load for the guns chamber when I make jacketed or cast ammo for my CZ which I pretty much don't have to worry about with my GLOCK34.

Here's a tip:

If you've loaded your rounds with a Lee seating die then your case mouth is already taper crimped to the proper neck tension on the bullets that are seated out too long. What I would do, is to not leave the seating die unscrewed 3-turns off the shell holder (the normal setting) because you could wind up seating the cast bullet deeper AND crimping the case mouth even tighter at the same time if you're screwing the whole die in further to seat the bullet deeper.

Just unscrew the seating die a turn and a half and only use the seating stem to slightly adjust the depth at which the cast bullets are seated. Same would hold true for seating a jacketed bullet a schooch deeper; leave your taper crimp setting on the loaded cartridge alone if you can help it.

Anyway, your problem will disappear as soon as you find the right seating depth.... :geek:

We need to go to Swan Creek range Sunday after next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I should be free that day, so yeah we should make it happen. I am trying to get in a routine of going every Sunday if the weather is nice.

Back