• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What are those bulk skeet shells good for?

I don't know about all this, make your own slug stuff. Seams to me a $5. pack of five slugs or buck shot will last a couple deer seasons. Put the rest of that hobby money into reloading equipment for other types of loads. Just a Yankee point of view. Best Christmas wishes from Maine.

It's something fun to do. Pouring your own molds is tricky to get them just right. A great way to pass the work day when you have no work. Sure, I can go to BPS or Dicks and plunk down the cash but what fun is that? Plus, for $28, a little time and elbow grease I can get 100 slugs made up...

57efca3c-b472-4508-8191-c39c1dfefd3e_zps854ff4f1.jpg

Leeslugdeer001_zpsf1f4b94a.jpg

Leeslugdeer007_zps65601b55.jpg

lol, couple more inches right and he would have had the textbook Texas Heart Shot

that melted shot is hard stuff .......wonder if pure lead would have held up on that journey . More damage probably but the length of travel, not sure

Has anyone tried the LEE 7/8oz slug ?

,,,and did you or can you use the same target shell to reload them ?

I'm logged in but it says this video is private. Why can't I view it? What am I missing here?

At the youtube website, whomever uploads the video can change the settings at any time and block the video from being shared except by permission only.

I suspect that is the case with that particular video now.

At the youtube website, whomever uploads the video can change the settings at any time and block the video from being shared except by permission only.

I suspect that is the case with that particular video now.

I think you're right. I don't know who posted the original but the video was linked in your post a few pages back old mossy. Does anyone know what the content was so I could do a search on YouTube for it?

Deer season is coming up again.

Time for some more wheel weight smelting

smelting 002.JPG smelting 003.JPGsmelting 006.JPG smelting 004.JPG smelting 007.JPG

After getting the dross and steel out and cooling, this batch ended up being 7.31 lbs.

Or enough to make roughly 117 slugs.

I have several bags of mc wheel weights I need to melt down as well. Been a slow year, though. Not many tire changes 'cause people were not out riding much.

I had to buy some tires for my truck before winter sets in (been needing it for a long time) and I finally broke down and bought a set. I got tired of using the compressor twice a week to keep them aired up. Especially that left rear tire. Besides, they were almost down to the treads anyway.

While they were mounting them, I sat in the chair and went through seperating the steel and raided the lead bucket and that was what I got out of it.

It was down drastically from the last time I raided the bucket. I probably got about 20 pounds last time. Not sure if anyone else has robbed it lately, but it was a lot less than last time.

I know the garage owner makes his own sinkers and stuff for while he's fishing, but I don't think he's made that many.

Still, that's 7 pounds I didn't have a week ago.

Almost every mfr is switching to Zinc. All H-D weights are now zinc. Wurth is still supplying us with lead weights but they too are converting in the future.

Well, in case you stop seeing wheel weights, here is where I planned to buy lead if I need a bulk hit in a hurry.

Some other guys here may know of a more economical place to buy from because I haven't done a ton of research of various places that sell it, but the prices aren't entirely out of line here:

$10 5lb ingot
http://www.zipmetals.com/Certified-Pure-Lead-Bullet-Casting-Alloy-Ingot-999-Pure-5-pounds_p_155.html

$50 26lb ingot
http://www.zipmetals.com/Certified-Pure-Lead-Brick-999-Pure-262-pounds-_p_189.html

they also have 25# bags of various size shot, w/about 4% antimony for hardness.

I checked and it was $15 for a flat rate (12x12) box.

I don't think that's too bad.

Especially considering other places like Ballistics products are wanting $49.95 for a 25# bag of 6 shot, plus $18.85 fedex.

Or you could always make your own lead shot.

Few different kinds out there if one is inclined.

By the way, #6 shot opening holes are .028 ;)

Just glad I am a trap shooter. Plenty of 25# bags of lead at all the big shoots. Just got to buy it and bring it home. $33.95 a bag last time.

Back