1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to view and order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

What are those bulk skeet shells good for?

Discussion in 'Ammunition' started by John A., Mar 13, 2013.

1. nitesite

nitesite Sheepdog Moderator "Philanthropist"

Yessir. You know, my brother, from your long experience that it's way different from loading hard-cast molded bullets.
  2. Greg B

Greg B .410

Ah. Thanks.
    Good info, especially for guys like me who are just getting started.
    On another note, I found it interesting that the shot cup seemed to stay with the slug pretty much all the way to my target. The ground just in front was littered with them.
    Sure was cool seeing the berm behind the target just explode with dirtclods thrown up by the impact. :)
    nitesite likes this.
  3. oli700

oli700 12g Supporter "Philanthropist"

Start a new thread John, get these guys making .69 pumpkin balls........slugs are getting boring
  4. oli700

swap that felt for a 20ga Nitro card of comparable thickness . The wad will separate from the slug and you will have better accuracy, shows up more in longer shots

play with the chokes, although th Lee isnt a rifled Foster it is .690" allowing passage through a Full choke.
    Past full choke I would not shoot a Lee Key drive.
    nitesite likes this.
  5. Greg B

Greg B .410

Would putting the felt below my card have the same effect?
    The shells I made I put the shot card at the bottom. Then the felt, followed lastly by the slug.
  6. oli700

some how the key is engaging in a way to keep the cup attached, that is what it designed to do so a rifled barrel can impart spin to the slug via the cup . Buy putting in a Nitro card you break that connection between the key and the cup.
    A tell tail way is to look at the bottom of a spent cup you find by the berm. If it has a defining gouge at the bottom of the cup you know the key is engaging the cup.
    I was under the impression that you had only a felt......the key would probably still engage positive enough to retain the cup.
    The card you are using, if it is an over shot card it is too soft.
    A nitro card is much harder and come in differing thicknesses.......they can also be peeled by the layer to custom fit.

If I were you, to simplify your shot column and gain some consistency in grouping I would ditch all felt and replace with hard Nitro cards....use over shot cards above your payload for helping gain height for your crimp with smooth bore shooting.
    For rifled barrel remove the nitro card and replace the space with over shot cards on top of the payload

as long as you swap card and felt space for other cards or felts it doesn't matter what combo or where they end up as far a pressure goes, that all weigh about the same and as long as the same space is used then you still safe on pressure
    nitesite likes this.
  7. Greg B

Greg B .410

Oh, that makes sense. I was using the card and felt as a space filler.
    Never occurred to me that it didn't really matter what order the components were.
    I'll order some nitro cards from BPI and play around with those too.
    It's supposed to be nice on Saturday, so I'm hoping to cast up another batch of slugs.
    This is getting addictive. I was warned.
    oli700 likes this.
  8. Greg B

Greg B .410

John,
    Are you still using overshot cards when roll crimping your shells?
    I'm going to try rolling a few, but I'd like the crimp to snug right up against the slug.
  9. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I honestly do like to use a clear overshot card with my roll crimps. They seem to make a much tighter and more efficient crimp.
  10. Greg B

Greg B .410

I see what you mean.
    I loaded up 10 shells tonight.
    The first few I tried, without a card, the BPI tool would hit the top of the slug. And although the crimp formed nicely, there was still some space between the rolled lip and the slug.
    I crimped the remainder with a card on top.
    I may try modifying the tool at a later date.
  11. Blood_Trail

Blood_Trail .270 WIN

Nitro cards does both. They help adjust the column height and it also serves as a solid base for slugs, esp Lee Key drives. You can also some them over your powder to stop blow back (kills accuracy too).

Accuracy of these slugs depend on it. I've done 100's of rds of testing in developing an accurate 1 oz Leed slug load.

Below is a comparison between wads with and without the nitro cards.

[​IMG]
  12. Blood_Trail

Blood_Trail .270 WIN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. Blood_Trail

Blood_Trail .270 WIN

That's not entirely true. I a lot of gun companies like Mossberg do not recommend shooting buck or slugs through extra full chokes.

Slugs preform better with an open choke anyway.
  14. Blood_Trail

Blood_Trail .270 WIN

Isn't the 930 back-bored?
  15. Blood_Trail

Blood_Trail .270 WIN

This method of cut, dump, melt, and replace is great for "in a pinch". Don't expect any decent accuracy even at 25-50 yards.

From my experience, slugs are the most picky, finicky reloading you can do, not to mention trying to find the proper components combinations of gas seals, shot cards, cork and felt, etc. even powder and type of crimp can make or break you.

I've had good success with Lee slugs using slower burning powders like ProReach and Blue Dot.

Never had much luck with tapered hulls. I use PT1205 and 1215 wads for the sabots. The federal brown wads are awesome too. Just started playing around with those and it's looking good. [​IMG]
    This group here is about the size of my fist at 75 yards.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  16. oli700

17. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

I'm bumping this so I'll remember to read it.
  18. silverback

silverback .410

I have been doing this for a while. As long as you stay under or at original payload. No worries. I purchased this tool makes cutting shells so much easier
    old mossy and John A. like this.
  19. silverback

silverback .410

I use lee 7/8 SLUGS and buck
    John A. likes this.
  20. nitesite

nitesite Sheepdog Moderator "Philanthropist"

Just keeping this thread alive because it is so full of information.

Thank you everyone.
    John A. likes this.