1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to view and order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

What are those bulk skeet shells good for?

Discussion in 'Ammunition' started by John A., Mar 13, 2013.

1. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

^ I am still surprised that there has been so much discussion from all of the various members. That's the best part to me.

I can honestly say I've learned a lot from all of the willingness to help and participation here. Thanks to all.

I can also say that I never expected my quiet thoughts and memories of some of the things I saw my Grandfather do when I was just a little child to have motivated anyone to work around ammo shortages and change things around so they won't have to do without. I admit, that does give me a smile.

As for the effectiveness of the slug loads, I have shown a lifelong friend of mine how to do it, and have helped him load up some, and he has anchored 2 deers with them, two years in a row.

They work.
    nitesite and old mossy like this.
  2. OhioArcher

OhioArcher Where's da fishes? Supporter "Philanthropist"

Changing jobs next month so my supply of lead wheel weights will come to an end. Scavenging all I can between now and then. Need to find/take the time to melt it all down and pour it.
    nitesite likes this.
  3. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

I thought I was getting a good deal on shotshells, but when I got them home found them to be steel shot.

I don't really want to shoot steel from the Cruiser (and I won't ever shoot steel from the antique) so I've thought to reload them with the same weight of lead shot and pack them.

BUT, I didn't consider shooting them as cut shells.

Not so much labor, plus I may not want to reload these with lead anyway. Not sure about the internal construction...
  4. mbshop

mbshop .270 WIN

Don't the steel have cups ? If so, why can't you shoot them ?
  5. nitesite

nitesite Sheepdog Moderator "Philanthropist"

The wad is specifically designed to hold the lighter steel shot. It is a lot deeper. Please avoid filling the entire wad with lead in a mistaken belief that it would weigh similarly. When you say load and pack them I figure you would fill them short and put in a filler material. Right?

Your Cruiser will shoot the steel shot loads just fine if all you want to do is bang some stuff.