• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What bullet proof vest do you wear?

ProMax Concealable Vest
http://www.bulletproofme.com/ProMAX_Vests.shtml

p735676943-4.jpg

p917547338-4.jpg

p602417362-4.jpg

p889591239-4.jpg

p1016550753-4.jpg

About the only time I would consider (and I did) something like this would be for HD purposes. But it's near last on my list of things to get (behind more guns, more ammo, better tactical flashlight, Gunsite Academy training and a gun safe). Plus, I wonder if I'd ever have time to get the thing on when my first priority is to get to the kids.

Just not a high priority item for me.

Last year I made the decision to trust my life on the street to Second Chance body armor. I got the level IIa because it stops the most rounds. plus I got the Trauma Plate for the front.

What scares me is that, although I can fit an extra trauma plate in the front, I cannot fit a second one in back. As of late I have taken to duct-taping a second trauma plate to the area of my back where the heart and vital organs are located. Then I put my vest on.

BTW, I am, of course, usually carrying a pair of ceramic plates in my briefcase so that I can shield my head. My SO (we work as a team when necessary) has a similar accessory containing a breakdown NEF single-shot 300 WinMag with an 18" bbl. The plan is that I shield us with my body and “catch the rounds” while she assembles the NEF. I lay down covering fire with my 23 (Bar-Sto .357 Sig barrel) and she makes the long shots. I will then throw smoke grenades to obscure the area while continuing to lay covering fire. The problem, of course, is when I have to turn my back to run, and then the problem crops up.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

More here: http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

:lol:

Here are pics of the two vests I own...both are VOODOO...first one is a entry assault vest (tactical toolbox) and the second is a MOLLE ballistic armor carrier that holds plates front and back.

VOODOOENTRYVEST.jpg

TACVEST.jpg

The plates are rated NIJ 0101.04 & 05 Standard III-A which stops the overwhelming majority of pistol projectiles plus 12 gauge OO buckshot.

Vests just aren't to stop bullets.

I had a female domestic violence suspect punch me in the chest one night. She broke her hand on the steel shock plate. :) She then tried to claim I had broken her hand. It was hilarious in court, when she told how I had broken her hand by her punching me. She had pled innocent to the Aggravated Assault on an Officer charge.

Just after I bought my first vest, we were investigating a residential burglary. I fiollowed another Officer over a chain link fence and came down on top of a Tee Post he had missed and I hadn't seen. Had I not been wearing my vest, I would have been impaled.

I dont have one, but have at times wondered if as a civy, if I need one... Would like to have one but I have no idea what for! :D

For HD, it`s a long shot but could come in handy if you have warning and time to put it on--riot, escaped prisoner, etc. Low down on the list, but still on the list.

Anyone know if these things have a usable life? Do they degrade with time, heat, humidity?

I saw one at the flea market not to long ago with plates. A $360 some odd dollar vest for sale at the surplus store for $185... Never enough money for that kinda stuff.

http://www.bodyarmor.com/html/faqs.html
Q: How long does body armor last?

A: There are a number of factors that can influence the service life of body armor. The NIJ has sponsored research that indicates that age is not the only factor in determining the service life of armor. Other factors to consider include: how regularly the armor was worn; how it was cared for; if the armor fits the wearer properly (most people lose or gain weight over a period of years); and the overall condition of the armor (do the fasteners still work properly and so on). We encourage departments to have a routine inspection program for body armor, just as they would for weapons, vehicles, and other types of issued equipment.

I wear a Second Chance stab-bullet proof vest rated level II+P+ I'm a Corrections Officer I wear it to and from work and keep it by the bed hoping I never have to depend on it save my life.

Back