• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What camo do you wear?

Man, I've been hearing and sometimes seeing birds off and on for the last week. This morning however, nothing. Not a single cluck. No clucks given.

My bad, I failed to answer the other part of your question!

The strikers are great, and in fact I found that the black wood works pretty well on the resin call but won't purr on it. It's cool though because it makes a great yelp! Purrs awesome on the slate.

excellent....good to hear. I have more blackwood I just acquired. Might have to make more from it.

I prefer the old m81 woodland. Worked against humans and it works against deer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

How did they ever kill a deer in the old days. ?
With out camo.
I enjoy reading books about the old hunting camp's up in Adirondack mts , and they show
Picture's of guys standing in front of a meat poll. With 10 or 12 big rack bucks. And not one
Is in camo.
A few wareing the old woolrich
Red and black checked coats.
How did they do it.?

I remember seeing pictures one time of a guy wearing a full clown costume on a deer hunt.

The guy in the costume was complete with the white face and red nose and rainbow colored wig.

And yes, he got one.

This was not long after Bill Jordan had first released the realtree camo that took the hunting world by storm.

When I was growing up, we didn't have any kind of camo to hunt with at all, unless we borrowed someone's old fatigues or dressed in tan khaki's.

More often than not, I would wear my old M65 field jacket (OD) and a red flannel shirt and blue jeans and huntin' boots. I was probably 16 or 17 years old when I got my first "real" camo outfit for Christmas and it was and still is my favorite pattern. Natural Gear. That stuff is great where I live.

I think most hunting gear is designed to catch more hunters hard earned dollars than deer or turkey or whatever.

My uncle never left the house till he lite up a fresh cigar. Then grab his old 30-40 krag, and away we would go.
Plus he was an auto mechanic and he wore the same old coveralls he worked in covered with grease and oil.
And they weren't camo.

Last edited:
How did they ever kill a deer in the old days. ?
With out camo.
I enjoy reading books about the old hunting camp's up in Adirondack mts , and they show
Picture's of guys standing in front of a meat poll. With 10 or 12 big rack bucks. And not one
Is in camo.
A few wareing the old woolrich
Red and black checked coats.
How did they do it.?

There was 1/100 as many people and 100 times as many deer.

Been wearing Real Tree Xtra Green for the last 3 seasons. Really like the True Timber MC2 pattern. Will be picking up a new set in the next month I hope.

I wear a mix. The only full suit I have is a ASAT lightweight set I can wear over pretty much anything.

I used to be obsessed with it but any more I just wear whatever. I have friends that spend more time making sure all their camo pieces match than they do actually hunting. I mix and match or wear no at all and see as many deer as they do. LOL

I agree. I just saw a RMEF statistic saying the Whittail population now is greater than its been in over 100 years.

In the old days people were not as obsesed with monster bucks, QDMA, antler restrictions etc as they are now. Many hunters today don't care how many deer we have they just want more monster bucks.

There are people that will let 100 deer a day walk buy that they think are too small and complain how there are not enough deer. I'd love to go back to the old days were hunting was not considered a sport where only monsters count....but that is a different topic.

In the old days it wasn't a sport at all, (unless you were a Royal.)

It was about meat & survival.

If we get back to those days, I'll take up hunting again.

And just think of all of the skills and tricks you're missing out on now.

I'm not trying to sound condescending, but to hunt an animal, you have to think like the animal. You have to know what they want or need. And you have to know where to go to find those things.

If something happens later today, do you know where those things are?

Too many people pull off the side of the road and walk 20 yards into the woods and call that "hunting".

You seldom see those people skinning anything either.

I get it.

But unless animals have changed a lot since I was kid, I can still find them.

Thing is, you wouldn't want to eat the animals I used to shoot.

Jackrabbits, coyote, ground squirrels, and pigeons.

Well maybe the pigeons were OK. :D

I get it.

But unless animals have changed a lot since I was kid, I can still find them.

Thing is, you wouldn't want to eat the animals I used to shoot.

Jackrabbits, coyote, ground squirrels, and pigeons.

Well maybe the pigeons were OK. :D

Pigeons are ok just as long as they're not from the "City". Their diets contain too much unsaturated fat... :eek:

Back