• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What Could Possibly go Wrong?

CaddmannQ

.50 BMG
In life it always pays if you can keep things simple. Sometimes complicated arrangements seem like they will save you time and a few dollars, but in the end you pay dearly.

This happened in the next town over from me.

A local FFL was sometimes involved in a big club of duck hunters. He donated them a Henry shotgun, as a raffle prize.

This was an annual charity event. They raise money for wildlife conservation efforts.

The FFL who donated the gun was not the same FFL running the raffle, and the gun was exchanged between the two of them as the prize was announced.

Under California law, the winner would be able to receive his gun only after a 10 day waiting period. Until that point it must be retained by FFL #2, and it was.

Unfortunately, the winner of the raffle did not pass the background check and was denied possession of a shotgun. Evidently the DOJ found out that he had a warrant outstanding from 30 years prior.

Now paperwork was done between the 2 FFL’s but no transfer fees were paid, as those were to fall upon the winner. FFL #2 agreed to collect the fee and pay it.

The transfer fee did not get paid, at that time.

Soon thereafter, a new winner was chosen. He received the gun, 10 days after, paying his fee.

Now FFL #1 knows who the first winner of the raffle was, but has no idea who the second winner was.

FFL #2 dies of natural causes at the age of 77 years. I’m not sure what happened to his records.

The DOJ goes back to FFL #1 asking about the history of another transaction. (Some woman bought a nice legal pistol, and then she shot her cheating husband.)

They find a small error on the paperwork and decide to audit FFL #2’s records.

The records were ok, but he can’t tell them what happened to the gun after he transferred to FFL #2, yet agrees he should pay the transfer fee, since FFL#2 never did.

They leave, and then return with back up guys & visible weapons. They take everything. 30+ weapons, and the ammo.

$30,000 later, he is still trying to recover legal costs, and a couple of personal weapons that the DOJ took when they raided his house, at 3 AM, over this paperwork snafu, a spelling error, & an unpaid $25 fee.

As a result of the DOJ accusations in this matter he automatically lost his city business license, and ended up having to get a license in the county instead. Business would actually be booming for him nowadays except there are few guns or ammo to sell here.

In life it always pays if you can keep things simple. Sometimes complicated arrangements seem like they will save you time and a few dollars, but in the end you pay dearly.

This happened in the next town over from me.

A local FFL was sometimes involved in a big club of duck hunters. He donated them a Henry shotgun, as a raffle prize.

This was an annual charity event. They raise money for wildlife conservation efforts.

The FFL who donated the gun was not the same FFL running the raffle, and the gun was exchanged between the two of them as the prize was announced.

Under California law, the winner would be able to receive his gun only after a 10 day waiting period. Until that point it must be retained by FFL #2, and it was.

Unfortunately, the winner of the raffle did not pass the background check and was denied possession of a shotgun. Evidently the DOJ found out that he had a warrant outstanding from 30 years prior.

Now paperwork was done between the 2 FFL’s but no transfer fees were paid, as those were to fall upon the winner. FFL #2 agreed to collect the fee and pay it.

The transfer fee did not get paid, at that time.

Soon thereafter, a new winner was chosen. He received the gun, 10 days after, paying his fee.

Now FFL #1 knows who the first winner of the raffle was, but has no idea who the second winner was.

FFL #2 dies of natural causes at the age of 77 years. I’m not sure what happened to his records.

The DOJ goes back to FFL #1 asking about the history of another transaction. (Some woman bought a nice legal pistol, and then she shot her cheating husband.)

They find a small error on the paperwork and decide to audit FFL #2’s records.

The records were ok, but he can’t tell them what happened to the gun after he transferred to FFL #2, yet agrees he should pay the transfer fee, since FFL#2 never did.

They leave, and then return with back up guys & visible weapons. They take everything. 30+ weapons, and the ammo.

$30,000 later, he is still trying to recover legal costs, and a couple of personal weapons that the DOJ took when they raided his house, at 3 AM, over this paperwork snafu, a spelling error, & an unpaid $25 fee.

As a result of the DOJ accusations in this matter he automatically lost his city business license, and ended up having to get a license in the county instead. Business would actually be booming for him nowadays except there are few guns or ammo to sell here.

SNAFU

Should have changed his name to Biden.

Crap like this happens, the Clinton's, Bidens, et al continue to get a pass, and the government can't figure out why people are fed up with them.

meanstreak speaks the truth.

Though in fairness, the transfer between dealers should have been noted in the A&D book with a copy of FFL2 license.

Seems like a lot of overkill over nothing though given the circumstances.

It seemed Very much Overkill.

I may not have been 100% clear in relating all this, but it appeared that all the legal paperwork had been complied with regarding licenses, while he whole matter was evidently investigated over a minor clerical error & that $25 that was not paid.

But I wasn’t there (his shop is in the next town ) nor am I an FFL who knows all the documents by number. All this information came by way of a third FFL I know, who is a member of the same duck club.

Now, I have met the guy in this story and I wouldn’t be surprised if he was rude to the officers. I thought he was rude the one time I bought from him.

I never did go back to his shop after he was rude.

Back