• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What Do You Shoot? - Air Rifles/Pistols

Itsricmo

.30-06
I couldn't find anything along the lines of an Air Rifle/Pistol section or topic so let's start one here and if we find one, we can merge them! :D

My Youngest Brother-in-law (12) has a 760 Pump Master and for the price of ammo it has me hooked! Tin cans, aerosol cans, pigeons, squirrels, etc... If you can get within 20yds +/- you can hit it and with some pretty sweet accuracy for a .117 variable pump!

I have my eyes set on a cheap Crosman 1377 (.177) Pistol with a Buttstock from Walmart but the 1322 (.22) also looks pretty promising! Pistol is about $60 and $20 for the stock. I can get 1250 rounds of 7.9 grain .117 pellets for $25..... beat that!!!! haha

What all do you guys have? What's your best memory with the rifle/pistol??

Itsricmo said:
I couldn't find anything along the lines of an Air Rifle/Pistol section or topic so let's start one here and if we find one, we can merge them! :D

My Youngest Brother-in-law (12) has a 760 Pump Master and for the price of ammo it has me hooked! Tin cans, aerosol cans, pigeons, squirrels, etc... If you can get within 20yds +/- you can hit it and with some pretty sweet accuracy for a .117 variable pump!

I have my eyes set on a cheap Crosman 1377 (.177) Pistol with a Buttstock from Walmart but the 1322 (.22) also looks pretty promising! Pistol is about $60 and $20 for the stock. I can get 1250 rounds of 7.9 grain .117 pellets for $25..... beat that!!!! haha

What all do you guys have? What's your best memory with the rifle/pistol??

I've been thinking about getting into air guns myself.... Plus I could shoot in the garage :D

Got an old Daisy Powerline 880. Shoot it occasionally.

Weight 3.10 lbs.
Action: Multi-pump pneumatic (3-10 pumps)
Max. Muzzle Velocity: 800 fps./BB; 665 fps./pellet
Overall Length 37.6”
Caliber: .177 cal. (4.5 mm) BB or pellet
Max. Shooting Distance: 291 yards
Capacity: 50 shot BB. Single shot/pellet

Daisy.jpg

GunnyGene said:
Got an old Daisy Powerline 880. Shoot it occasionally.

Weight 3.10 lbs.
Action: Multi-pump pneumatic (3-10 pumps)
Max. Muzzle Velocity: 800 fps./BB; 665 fps./pellet
Overall Length 37.6”
Caliber: .177 cal. (4.5 mm) BB or pellet
Max. Shooting Distance: 291 yards
Capacity: 50 shot BB. Single shot/pellet

Daisy.jpg

I've got the same one though I don't shoot it much any more. Many a red squirrel has fallen to that one.

I've been looking at getting another nice air gun for a while.

Has anyone looked at the big bore air rifles they have now. Pretty damn impressive.

I've got the same one though I don't shoot it much any more. Many a red squirrel has fallen to that one.

I've been looking at getting another nice air gun for a while.

Has anyone looked at the big bore air rifles they have now. Pretty damn impressive.[/quote]

Probably the most popular bbgun ever. Cost about $40 new these days. I have browsed the big Air guns, and they are definitely not toys. Calibers up to .58, and over 1200fps at the muzzle. Ain't cheap either.

I keep a Daisy Powerline 15XT - Co2 .177 pistol readily accessible as a backyard critter persuader. It claims 480 fps with a BB and that proved out on the chrono. 15 rd. capacity. The tree rats know who is boss!!

Nice! That looks like the 760 Pump Master my Brother-in-law has! It's a sweet shooting little air rifle.
I think at 20 yards he can get 7.9 grain pellets into a quarter, he has an old weaver mounted that helps a lot!

Mike, I was looking at the 357 Rogue and some Benjamin 20cal air rifles but they break the "budget" on an air rifle lol... I am stuck trying to figure out what caliber I want... .177 or .22?? Largest game would be Grey Squirrel, I have bigger stuff for bigger things lol

Mingaa, that's pretty slick! How does that 480 do on tree rats? The 1377 boasts a 550 fps with a .177 and I want to be sure it will "humanely" do it's duty... part of my dilemma

There's a couple problems with the high power air rifles.

1. They often carry close to 5000psi in the air reservoir, which means you need some pretty serious pumping equipment. You're not going to get that at the local gas station or with a bicycle pump. And having worked with hipress air I can tell you it's pretty damn dangerous. Heat buildup, etc. during pumping, and you don't want to be around when a line blows or a part fails.

2. Unless you have a gun with a built in pressure regulator to maintain some adequate pressure less than the reservoir max (say 2500psi), for the first few shots, the trajectory will change with each shot (FPS drops quickly), so you need to adjust your point of aim accordingly.

Gunny,

I presume you are talking about the .357 and .25 cal PCP models??
I don't think the variable pump models like the 1377/1322 and 760 Pump Master carry that much pressure. I am not an expert on the topic however, so I could be very wrong :lol:

Itsricmo said:
Gunny,

I presume you are talking about the .357 and .25 cal PCP models??
I don't think the variable pump models like the 1377/1322 and 760 Pump Master carry that much pressure. I am not an expert on the topic however, so I could be very wrong :lol:

I was speaking generally. The little bbguns like mine probably not more than 700psi tops, although I haven't been able to find any specifics on max pressure for them. The Rogue 357 carries 3000psi max http://www.airgundepot.com/benjamin-rogue-bpe3571.html .

Maximum reservoir pressures vary considerably, depending on caliber, reservoir volume, manufacturer, etc. Big hunting rifles like the .308 Quackenbush http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/308_exile.html carry 3000psi and up. The linked article is interesting reading and shows how much pressure drop you get on subsequent shots, which will vary with reservoir volume.

Here's another that is interesting: https://xp-airguns.com/-.html

Okay, I got ya! Good links for information!
Pyramid Air does a great job posting up information as well for anyone looking for info.

Anyone see or shoot the MK-177 or M4-177 variable pump rifles?? I thought at first that they had to be a gimmick and suck... but videos show some pretty promising groups and decent FPS for the rifle.

The MK-177 (SCAR) is rated for 800 FPS BBs and 750 for Pellets
The M4-177 (AR) is slightly less 650 FPS BBs and 600 for Pellets

Itsricmo said:
Okay, I got ya! Good links for information!
Pyramid Air does a great job posting up information as well for anyone looking for info.

Anyone see or shoot the MK-177 or M4-177 variable pump rifles?? I thought at first that they had to be a gimmick and suck... but videos show some pretty promising groups and decent FPS for the rifle.

The MK-177 (SCAR) is rated for 800 FPS BBs and 750 for Pellets
The M4-177 (AR) is slightly less 650 FPS BBs and 600 for Pellets

Of course the big plus for air guns is no muzzle flash, they're pretty quiet, and recoil is low.

Btw, I looked up the MK-177. It's got the same tech as my old daisy, rifled barrel, 10 pumps for varmints, etc. Looks cooler tho. ;)

Itsricmo said:
Yeah I think of the two, IF I had to get one, it would definitely be the MK-177.
But for the sake of not spending $50 extra, I am still aiming for the Crosman 1377 and butt stock. $74 from walmart instead of $120 lol.. Walmart doesn't sell JUST the Mk-177 or I would honestly probably get it for the $75 Crosman asks... The extra 300 FPS would be nice though

Why am I set on Walmart you ask? I have Gift Cards I reply :p

Forget all of that... My Walmart just got in a sweet Beeman that comes with both a .177 and a .22 Barrel! Shoots up too 1200fps with .177 and 800fps with .22. Scope is included!! Break action and comes with everything I need except for pellets and birds :D lol

Check out this little video I found for targets :)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idu3Df1yTJE[/youtube]

Itsricmo said:
Mike, I was looking at the 357 Rogue and some Benjamin 20cal air rifles but they break the "budget" on an air rifle lol... I am stuck trying to figure out what caliber I want... .177 or .22?? Largest game would be Grey Squirrel, I have bigger stuff for bigger things lol

Mingaa, that's pretty slick! How does that 480 do on tree rats? The 1377 boasts a 550 fps with a .177 and I want to be sure it will "humanely" do it's duty... part of my dilemma

I currently have a Crossman 2200 Magnum. It was my brothers when we were kids and I'm not sure her even knows I still have it....oops I've said too much. It's a fun gun and the .22 does pack a bit more of a punch than the .177 but I'd still take the .177 over it in terms of overall versatility and ammo options.

I was just looking around at ammo options and the .177 definitely has 2x or more options over the .22 but the .22 still has one heck of a list of pellets! I was liking the Penetrator and Plastic Sabot pellets but I guess the plastic really fouls up your barrel quick and after so many shots your accuracy drops off the map.

Ein Jun has some 28 grain pellets for the .22 that get some great reviews on crows. I think Flat Nose/Wadcutter pellets or Round Nose/Dome probably do the best at transferring Ft/lbs over the penetrating of pointed rounds.

I have fired tens of thousands of BB's through my uncles old red rider.

And I have also shot a lot of pellets through an old daisy powerline 717.

Itsricmo said:
They now make an 880 Powerline! It strangely is only rated for 800fps though according to the box.
Still looks like a nice little rifle! That MK-177 is at my walmart without the kit for $84.99.... :O Would be a fun gun but for $10 more I can get 1 rifle, 2 barrels and a scope while still shooting 1" groups at 25 yards and Minute of Squirrel or Pigeon out a little more.

I am putting so much thought into a pellet rifle it isn't funny lol

Well I went and done it... Bought me a Beeman RS2 (Silver Kodiak X2) from Walmart.
Cost me $52 out of pocket plus the $3 for 250 pellets... The Price of Ammo these days :lol: :lol:

I can't wait to shoot her!!!

WANT!

Never knew you get a dual caliber air gun

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

Yeah! Some guy from Europe does reviews on Air Guns and they use this to shoot an exploding target 40mm in diameter from 218 yards away :shock: it took them some time to make the hit but it was done! .177 caliber lol

I figure 830fps in .22 should be enough for crows and 1000 for everything else smaller in .177 :D
What do you guys think about Ground Hogs under 15 yards shot in the head?? There is a hot debate!

Back