1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

What Happens When Ammo Burns

Discussion in 'Ammunition' started by fellmann, Aug 1, 2019.

1. fellmann

fellmann Esoteric Supporter Premier Member

Interesting video. I dont know if this have been posted before.

2. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I haven't seen that video, but I have seen similar other ones.

Just to go on record, many household cleaning supplies are far worse in a fire.
    meanstreak and fellmann like this.
  3. nitesite

nitesite Sheepdog Moderator "Philanthropist"

My fire department will hear tens of thousands of .22LR and primers and other loaded ammo cooking off, shit their pants, and cordon off a two mile radius
  4. hombre243

hombre243 20g Premier Member

If they shit a big enough pile they would have something to hide behind. :thanks:
    fellmann and meanstreak like this.
  5. Bobster

Bobster .30-06 Supporter

"Over 400,000 rounds of ammunition were used in this demonstration" :(
    CaddmannQ, fellmann and meanstreak like this.
  6. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter "Philanthropist"

Fellman, thanks for posting the video.
    fellmann likes this.
  7. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

Wow! I was amazed to see them trash so much ammunition in these tests but I'm glad that they did it.

I was more concerned about my kegs of powder, but evidently they just break open and burn. The plastic doesn't sustain any heat or pressure.
    meanstreak, hombre243 and fellmann like this.
  8. hombre243

When I was about 12 or so Dad gave me a Sheridan Pump up Air rifle...5mm/20 cal. It was a squirrel gittin sog. One weekend Mom and the step dad took me and a school buddy to the camp on the river and it wasn't hunting season so we couldn't hunt squirrels. I asked the step dad if I could use his shotgun...an old Remington that looked like a Browning semi auto...I call it a squareback. I loved to shoot it but I wanted the shells...That was our target : 12 ga shells with #6 shot wedged into the forks of small trees. What a blast. Until one blew a primer back and popped me right in the brow line between the eyes. Laughed so hard I had to sit down. Mom was very mad at me but more mad at the step dad. But later in the season when I asked if I could hunt with it, she said "why not, I know you won't shoot yourself with THAT gun."
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  9. hombre243

Cadd, same with primers. They are packaged so they can't do much damage and cannot all explode at one time.
  10. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter "Philanthropist"

Ammo in a fire was never a big concern until gun control became an issue. I wonder if the two issues are connected.
    fellmann likes this.
  11. ripjack13

ripjack13 Resident Sawdust Maker Staff Member Administrator Supporter "Philanthropist"

Interesting. All these years I thought what I saw in the movies were true.
    :laugh:
    meanstreak and fellmann like this.