• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What have you done to secure your home?

old mossy said:
hi bassin,,,,what is your view on wireless security cameras. i want to install one on the front of my house pointing across the street to my neighbors house and one on his house pointing at mine. i would record both at my house. distance is about 75=80 feet. is it worth it?

,,,and ty for the tips.

the distance at night is your problem, most are limited to the 40 ft range...but let me do some research as wireless is not really something I do a lot of...

in the meantime look at svat, good reviews and good customer service rating...

a buddy just told me they use these and get descent range, might be what you're looking for...

http://www.lorextechnology.com/Wireless ... reviewsTab

I really dig the "we Don't Call 911" sign! My buddy has a couple posted in his yard, one of the best says "Forget The Dog Worry About The Owner".

My Pop has a sign with a crosshairs on his gate that reads,

"If you can read this, you are within range."

In the South Atlanta area most of our home invasions are teenagers who kick in doors and ransack the place looking for electronics and bling. If you go to your local home improvement store and check out the "Glass Storm Doors" you'll find that the higher end doors have shatter proof glass and as many as 6 lockable bolt catches making them very secure. The glass has enough give in it that the BG can't get it to shatter of kick it in. Also, these ruffians are generally terrified of dogs. (But they love pit bulls and will try to steal them!) Any
German Shepard type with a nasty bark will do. Light & lots of it is good! Cameras inside you house to record entry that is later posted to YouTube and local news with a reward will usually turn the homeboy into a snitch.
If you are known as a business owner or somebody that typically carries lots of cash you need to beef things up accordingly- or quit flashing your cash! These are the folks that are getting broken into while they are at home in our area.
Handguns are nice for that up close and personal stuff but I've discovered they're pretty useless for me if something goes bump in the night. With handguns you must "Acquire the front sight" to be accurate. In the middle of the night with my contact lenses floating in their sauce in the bathroom I can't see the pistol, much less the front sight! This has given me a whole new appreciation for shotguns. As long as I properly "mount the gun" like I'm shooting skeet I can pretty much just point it and fire.

thank you for posting.
like you said,,,,practice,practice,practice.
when mounting a shotgun becomes second nature,,,,,,you are good to go. :)

ma6avaha.jpg

Unfortunately in today's political climate all the libturds are just making it too easy for the aggressor to become the victim. There are plenty of court cases to confirm this. Yes our legal system is a joke at times. Dirtbag jumps fence, breaks in etc... Dog goes to town. Dirtbag sues and somehow the homeowner looses not only the court case, but a good friend when the dog is court ordred to be put down. :evil:

Having a "Dangerous Dog" sign in the yard can actually bite you in the ass pardon the pun. Yes, absolutely it can. It signifies you have a dog that is predisposed to bite folks. Slick lawyers can use it against you. It can even cause you issues with insurance writers. Either they won't write a policy, drop you entirely or decide you are "high risk" property and raise rates sky high. Advertising you have a dangerous dog isn't always the best solution.

What usually carries more political weight is a simple No Tresspassing sign. Along with signage of dogs present references to firearms can also ometimes backfire and make you look like the bad guy. Just something everyone needs to take a moment of pause and think about.

I know every state, every City, township etc... is different on requiring dog present signage. Even some homeowners associations require some sort of dog signage to be posted if you have em in your yard so again, it might be a good thing to have it posted and it might also not be so good depending on your particular situation. Best to look into and see what category you fall under.

Just remember there are times where some one might need access to your yard for legitmate reason. The utility meter reader folks for one come to mind. In my area they try to stay out if they can by using binoculars when possible. If there is no clear sight line to see the meter from over the fence then they are forced to come inside your fenced area. Having a nasty dog in that yard is a recipe for potential disaster then. If the reader feels unsafe entering your yard because of a dog they usually leave a nasty note on your front doorknob.

The suggestions in this thread have been pretty good for sure. Beefed up doors, adequate lighting, security alarms that tie into your mobile phone for when you are away etc... are great ideas. Keep em rolling.

YMMV as usual.

You have to admit, signage like this does send a loud and perfectly clear message.

beware-owner-300x297.jpg

Occasionally I lock my doors just for fun, if someone comes on to my property I usually offer them a beer and a smoke.

Back