• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What is in my barrel? Help?!

So I clean and I clean and I clean but my barrel never comes clean... Am I chasing my tail here or what. I tried to snap some pics
u2y4eza6.jpg
ytuzahad.jpg

What is that crap in my barrel?!?! Leading? Residue from the gas ports? Is the barrel bore cast and only half@$$ machined? I shoot everything one could shoot thru my 930 and it eats up most of it.... So idk but I want it to be smooth! Ya know like a shot gun is suppose to be. Hints the "smooth bore barrel"!

Your thoughts let's hear them?!

Hoppes #9 bore solvent. Remoil, in my opinion, is horrible; both as a cleaner and lubricant. One swab with Hoppes and the bore should shine.

Just looking at remoil... And I think that is dried Teflon coating in the barrel.. So next time I'm out shooting slugs the remoil is the next thing that goes boom

Holy smokes!! Won't be using any Remoil in anything I own!! Jeez, that is some of the worst fouling I've ever seen!!

Glad you were able to get 'er cleaned up!

Yes sir... I'm still working

I have a 12 and 20 gauge 870 that looked just as bad.

I REMOIL in them ONE time and only on moving internal parts... None of that CRAP touched the barrel...

If it wasn't for the drill I would be doing all this by hand.

I have to say that the only time I've seen anything similar was in really old BP guns - what's known as brown bore. Nothing can be done about that, but it doesn't hurt anything. Just makes it impossible to get a clean patch.

^^^what causes brown bore Gunny?

^^ Black powder residue (hot smoke) get's forced into the iron, which is somewhat more porous than modern barrels. I think you'd have to drill it out oversize by at least a few thou to get to clean iron. My old Penn long rifle has it. Probably a few thousand shots since 1860's.

I guess metallurgy has come a long way since then! You still shoot er very often?

I guess metallurgy has come a long way since then! You still shoot er very often?

No. I'd need to get some cannon caps and properly sized balls for it and get the original nipple and butt plug out but haven't been able to and don't want to damage it. I'd need to be able to do that before I fired it. I bought this gun at a estate auction from the original owners family. He'd carried it in the civil war and after to Texas and other places. Here's a pic:

Bownrifle.jpg~original

After 4 hrs, 2 drill batteries, and almost an entire bottle of hoppies #9. I am pleased to say that the Teflon/lead fouling is completely out my my 3 shotguns.

I WILL NEVER AGAIN USE REMOIL. And I will post a video one day of my 930 throwing a slug thru the can asap! So stay tuned.

Sad thing is, my pistols were all lubed with REMOIL as well. So I will be hard at it tomorrow again.

No. I'd need to get some cannon caps and properly sized balls for it and get the original nipple and butt plug out but haven't been able to and don't want to damage it. I'd need to be able to do that before I fired it. I bought this gun at a estate auction from the original owners family. He'd carried it in the civil war and after to Texas and other places. Here's a pic:

Bownrifle.jpg~original
Wow! Nice find Gunny! Cool you've got some history on it too. I'd love to have a historical piece some day.

Back